Greenlight Insurance - Give them a try!

Bewesy

Advanced Member
Hi all.

It's dreaded insurance renewal time for me. My premium on my current insurers has always increased each year and the renewal is always stupidly high compared to the price I paid the previous year and this time I though enough is enough.

So after reading the good feedback for Greenlight I thought I'd give them a try. The response I got after asking for a quote for "a Honda Integra" immediately put my mind at rest:

"Is it a DC2 or DC5?"

I was obviously speaking to someone who knew what they were talking about, rather than "Is that a Civic sir?"

Anyway my renewal was £670 and Greenlight quoted £430! A huuuge saving! Plus they will provide track insurance for £45 per track day. Needless to say I took them up on their quote :)

I appreciate the true test of an insurance company is if the event of a claim but you need a good price and decent experience to start with.

Just thought I'd share my experience for those looking for a deal...

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Bewesy said:
Hi all.

It's dreaded insurance renewal time for me. My premium on my current insurers has always increased each year and the renewal is always stupidly high compared to the price I paid the previous year and this time I though enough is enough.

So after reading the good feedback for Greenlight I thought I'd give them a try. The response I got after asking for a quote for "a Honda Integra" immediately put my mind at rest:

"Is it a DC2 or DC5?"

I was obviously speaking to someone who knew what they were talking about, rather than "Is that a Civic sir?"

Anyway my renewal was £670 and Greenlight quoted £430! A huuuge saving! Plus they will provide track insurance for £45 per track day. Needless to say I took them up on their quote :)

I appreciate the true test of an insurance company is if the event of a claim but you need a good price and decent experience to start with.

Just thought I'd share my experience for those looking for a deal...
I hope they can fill me with confidence this year as last year I apparently didn't have enough experience to insure a DC5 yet I got insurance elsewhere fully comp for my partner and I at £285 with all mods declared

How old are youvetc if you don't mind me asking and cars spec?

Thanks

Carl

Bewesy

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
I hope they can fill me with confidence this year as last year I apparently didn't have enough experience to insure a DC5 yet I got insurance elsewhere fully comp for my partner and I at £285 with all mods declared
How old are youvetc if you don't mind me asking and cars spec?
Thanks
Carl
£285 sounds cheap TBH. For any vehicle nowadays. Who was that with?

I'm 39. 11 years NCB. No points. 3rd year of DC5 ownership. DC2 for 6 years before. VX220 for 4 prior to that. BD20 postcode which is usually quite high despite living in a tiny village. Car has a Mugen intake and that's it. Oh, and my Mrs is on as a named driver.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Bewesy said:
£285 sounds cheap TBH. For any vehicle nowadays. Who was that with?

I'm 39. 11 years NCB. No points. 3rd year of DC5 ownership. DC2 for 6 years before. VX220 for 4 prior to that. BD20 postcode which is usually quite high despite living in a tiny village. Car has a Mugen intake and that's it. Oh, and my Mrs is on as a named driver.
My insurance is with Sainsburys and I took it out when they were good and reputable using their good underwriters, they've now changed and are awful and stopping insurance on imports of theirs no uk version on the market.

I'm 37, 16 or 17 years NBC, clean licence, no crashes, social only 6k miles a year (prob less though as normally about 3-4) with an ME19 postcode (which is very low) in a private area with 24hr security driving about and cameras everywhere, my partner and I fully comp (she's 34). My first year on the DC5 after many high performance cars (a few below)

2 x R33 GTR V-Specs (one stage 1 and the other a Nur spec 2 drag car from Japan running 800WHP on high boots and 562WHP on low boost.

2 Pulsar gti-r's, 1 325WHP and the second 400WHP

A DC2 with a decat and spoon ecu

A couple of GT4's (ST185 & ST205's)

Lancia Integrale race car I built.

So to be told not enough experience for my DC5 was a joke imo as it's only got K100, full dc sports race system (manifold back), aem long arm cai, mugen shocks and spoon springs.

Bewesy

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
My insurance is with Sainsburys and I took it out when they were good and reputable using their good underwriters, they've now changed and are awful and stopping insurance on imports of theirs no uk version on the market.

I'm 37, 16 or 17 years NBC, clean licence, no crashes, social only 6k miles a year (prob less though as normally about 3-4) with an ME19 postcode (which is very low) in a private area with 24hr security driving about and cameras everywhere, my partner and I fully comp (she's 34). My first year on the DC5 after many high performance cars (a few below)

2 x R33 GTR V-Specs (one stage 1 and the other a Nur spec 2 drag car from Japan running 800WHP on high boots and 562WHP on low boost.

2 Pulsar gti-r's, 1 325WHP and the second 400WHP

A DC2 with a decat and spoon ecu

A couple of GT4's (ST185 & ST205's)

Lancia Integrale race car I built.

So to be told not enough experience for my DC5 was a joke imo as it's only got K100, full dc sports race system (manifold back), aem long arm cai, mugen shocks and spoon springs.
Impressive line up there. Sounds like a Fast and Furious shopping list ;)

I guess to be told you haven't enough experience just highlights they have no idea what they're talking about.

You have quite a few mods there. Performance mods usually add cost no matter who it's with. I was told by greenlight there was no extra cost for none-performance mods.

C2AXG

Advanced Member
Green light are by far the best for me.
every other broker I've attempted to contact via recommendation on this forum haven't even answered the phone....

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Impressive line up there. Sounds like a Fast and Furious shopping list ;)

I guess to be told you haven't enough experience just highlights they have no idea what they're talking about.

You have quite a few mods there. Performance mods usually add cost no matter who it's with. I was told by greenlight there was no extra cost for none-performance mods.
Yeah I will give them another chance this year (Oct I believe) else will never bother again, that's just a few of the cars I have had in my many years of driving lol...

Green light are by far the best for me.
every other broker I've attempted to contact via recommendation on this forum haven't even answered the phone....
Will have to give them one last shot I think and see what the deal is as I want a good company but one who understands that this to me is far from a quick car and feels factory built not modded to what I am used too so driving this feels like driving my partners Juke lol, it's fun and nippy but not fast as in how I would define fast...

Track now that's another story as my DC2 was more fun around brands than my Race spec R33 GTR and my Evo 6 GSR

SuperFLY

Advanced Member
Probably the best performance/modified car insurer (broker) out there.

All the other so called insurers can't come close to them in quotes or in knowledge/attitude.

Such a shame I've had to cancel my insurance with them recently as they won't insure me on my potential new car. (over £20k and rear wheel drive)

It's frustrating as I have been insured with them for a rear wheel drive car in the past and it wasn't a problem then but rules change I guess.

Now I'm not even 100% on the car I want. (Long story about long wait times vs not enough power)

Snowbeard

Been with greenlight for a few years on a couple cars, they are only charging me £440 a year for the teg so i didn't even bother shopping around.

Very good customer service, and they are happy to insure some very obscure JDM cars, such as my old mitsubishi.

Snowbeard

That experience line is a bit weird.

I'm 32 and went from an mx5 (1.6, 120bhp), to a mitsubishi mirage asti (1.6, 170bhp), to my DC5....and they had no problem whatsoever insuring me on it, previous car history or my competance with the power etc wasn't even mentioned.

H_5hum

Advanced Member
So as we are on the subject - Is Greenlight a Broker? Or are they the actual insurers?

I tried to get a quote earlier this year with them but I didnt have enough experience - which is fair enough as I have owned a Yaris Tsport 1.5 for the last few years.

I have been with Sky Insurance on and off for the last 5 years. Their Customer service is ok, Knowlege ok. But as soon as an accident has taken place, they refer you to their "Claims Accident" company Kindertons.
Although I appreciate they try their best, it has been the most frustrating experience I have ever had. Almost traumatic!

Has anyone gone through a claim with Greenlight?

As per Bewsey - and quote:

Bewesy said:
I would be interested to hear if anyone has had any experience with the claims process with them.

My Teg got rear ended towards the end of May this year - It is still on my driveway waiting for repairs. Mainly due to waiting for Parts. TGM have been really good though - I feel like i have done most of my insurers job though because I have pretty much handled my own claim from day one.

I have nearly owned my DC5 for 5 months now, 3 of which it has been off the road :(

mil1lion

Advanced Member
I will have to shop around. I've been with Greenlight for a few years now. Last year was pretty much the same quote as the previous and now this year is £15 more. It really sucks that going a full year without a claim (never had to claim for 15 years of driving) doesn't seem to make a difference anymore.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Mike.A said:
I will have to shop around. I've been with Greenlight for a few years now. Last year was pretty much the same quote as the previous and now this year is £15 more. It really sucks that going a full year without a claim (never had to claim for 15 years of driving) doesn't seem to make a difference anymore.
£15 more? Or missing 0 on the end?

Cennix1

I recently had a great quote from Brentacre who had a better price than Greenlight. Although at 23 with 4 years NCB and 2 non-faults 4 years ago while the car was parked it can vary a lot for me.

mil1lion

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
£15 more? Or missing 0 on the end?
No £15 is right. Maybe that's just the normal inflation but just annoys me that it has gone up after another year no claims.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Mike.A said:
No £15 is right. Maybe that's just the normal inflation but just annoys me that it has gone up after another year no claims.
Completely agree with you mate, I'm 37, clean licence, no accidents, about 14 yrs NBC (prob more), low risk postcode, social 4-6 k miles a year (if that) and they still put it up :-(

Be interesting what happens when I call around next month for mine tbh

shifty89

Just so people are aware you should expect your insurance price to rise this year (Not to say that shopping around wont work because it will :) but from March this year the Government made a decision to cut the Ogden discount rate for motor claims and many other insurance services.

Cut a long story short, in the event of a claim that involves personal injury the insurance company will now have to pay out more due to the rate cut that usually the difference would've been covered before the change (Ogden rate was 2.5% discount against all injury claims when insurance companies paid out and now has been cut to -0.75% towards all payouts so in turn that difference is now picked up by the insurance companies). This is then passed on to us as a little treat and was estimated at around 10-15% increase on premiums across the board.

I'm also with Greenlight and my renewal last week was £50 up from last year. Taking the above into account and me being lazy I stayed as I have had no issues with them :)