Hard Water + OCD

Cam

Advanced Member

Does anyone else live in a hard water area and find it time consuming making sure the car is completely dry afterwards to avoid the dreaded white spots?

...or is it just me?

Has anyone installed a water softener inline to their hose pipe feed in an attempt to avert this devilish behaviour? (Yep, I'm that bothered by it.)

<_<

ollydc5

Advanced Member
We used to live in a mild hard water area but nothing like that. I installed an inline household water softener on the incoming mains just after the stop tap and i never had anymore problems

The following is a link which may help locate how hard your water is if you live in one of these Regions. http://www.ofwat.gov.uk/households/your-water-company/map/
You should easily be able to search elsewhere, they usually provide good info into combating the problem. The hardness of our water used to be 132ppm

Cam

Advanced Member
Apparently it's over 280ppm as I'm in a 'hard to very hard' area (giggity).

I've got a water softener coming off the boiler which only softens the hot water feed so I might just put a dedicated softener next to the outside tap and see if that helps.

(picture's not mine - just an example)

Cam

Advanced Member

Yorkshire's best friend.
I might aswell throw this stuff in my car washing bucket.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Really urines me off too! I have to wait until it's cloudy to give me half a chance to clean and dry the car. Nightmare. I live in Bristol. But when I lived in Exeter (80 miles away) it was nice and soft.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
ollydc5 said:
We used to live in a mild hard water area but nothing like that. I installed an inline household water softener on the incoming mains just after the stop tap and i never had anymore problems

The following is a link which may help locate how hard your water is if you live in one of these Regions. http://www.ofwat.gov.uk/households/your-water-company/map/
You should easily be able to search elsewhere, they usually provide good info into combating the problem. The hardness of our water used to be 132ppm
Olly, any details of the inline filter you installed? I'm wanting to put one in before the summer really. 👍🏻

Midnight

Advanced Member
I think it would help, but in truth anywhere that has approx 200ppm would need something more commercially orientated.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Has anyone had anymore thoughts on this?

I've been looking to get a full system put into the house but it's well over £1000!!

All I want is a spot free clean car! 😔

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
WJ51FUT (Gok) said:
Has anyone had anymore thoughts on this?

I've been looking to get a full system put into the house but it's well over £1000!!

All I want is a spot free clean car! 😔
Hi mate have you tried drying the car with a spritz of QD on the drying towel or panel of the car? I don't live in a bad area for water to be honest but drying with QD always gives me a nicer finish

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Would using rainwater from a water butt not help?
Possibly. But then there is no pressure and it will be dirty.

I have seen some in line solutions but I guy from work swears by these magnets you attach to the inlet piping in the house.

Old thread revival maybe but then this section is quiet.... FWIW I run a Daqua 15 litre vessel with MB115 resin. I just run it inline with the pressure washer pre and rinse completely uneconomical but whatever. Spend maybe £70 a year on resin, one bag lasts for 2 fills of my vessel and typically lasts me 6 months washing once every 2 weeks. Apparently you can re-activate it.

Bought it because I owned a Megane RS with Black wheels (and then an E92 M3 with Black wheels) which used to look awful when water in the recesses for the nuts and inside the wheel rim dried and left mineral deposits.

Thinking about getting a storage tank so I can filter water into it rather than leaving the vessel standing there as I think its wasted like that.

Really helps with water spotting in the summer too, can rinse a clean car in the middle of summer in bright sunshine and just leave it to air dry with no streaks. Some next level Voodoo.