Harness Mounting

Rob R

Advanced Member
Well after my last track day involving me being thrown around all over the place like I was in a washing machine I'm looking into a 4 point harness.

I've had harnesses in cars before so don't need a spiel about the pro's and con's about them, all I need to know is where have people mounted theres and how they'r secured.

I'm looking at snap on Takata's but advice about others people have fitted will be most helpful.

Thanks for your insight and useful knowledge

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Ok, so I use harnesses with OEM rear seats in place.

For the lap straps I have one attached to an eye bolt in place of the standard seat belt mounting bolt on the b pillar. The other one is attached using the Takata Snap On sit as sold by Tegiwa (even though they sent me a Scroth one) which is bolted in through the seat subframe bolt nearest to the handbrake centre console.

For the shoulder harnesses, I run them crossed over each other behind the seat (so stop them running up the sides of the harness holes) then to eye bolts on both the OEM seatbelt mounting points under the rear seat bench, just replaced the oem bolts with eye bolts.

Hope this helps.

Rob R

Advanced Member
What size eye bolts did you need, 24mm long 7/16 thread? Plan is to run them in the rear seat belt anchor points and where the seat mounts on the floor pan.

Did you manage to keep the rear bench fitted? Don't suppose you have any pictures do you?

Thanks xthumbup

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Very old pictures - now got Takata's and Recaro fixed buckets but you get the idea/

Couldn't tell you the size of the eye bolts, just normal ones from JJC. Maybe for the lapstrap one to the b pillar the longer one of the 2 choices would be preferable.

-Birdy-

Advanced Member
If you by Takata harnesses then they come with eye bolts.

I've got them fitted to my teg on both drivers and passenger. The rear is attached to the harness bar of my roll cage. With the lap strap I've got an eye bolt on the b pillar mount and the other side I've put an eye bolt where the seat belt would click into, you would need to remove the centre console to do this though.

jpstyper

Advanced Member
If you do buy takata harness then you will need a longer bolt for seat belt anchor point to run your normal seat belt too I got them from jjc like wingnuttzz as it would have been a little too short bolt would have went in but only a few threads

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
A normal eye bolt will work but you won't have space for all the washers etc and thus you end up crushing the oem belt into the carpet.

Rob R

Advanced Member
So 1 inch ones for everything else and 1.5 inch for the b pillar one or 2 inch would you say?

jpstyper

Advanced Member
Use a eye bolt on the b pillar side as it will just replace you oem bolt and I used those for mounting to the seat on the centre column side

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
As jypster says, the eye bolt on the bpillar just replaces the oem bolt that holds on the oem seatbelts so no lose of operation there.

You use though brackets pictured on the inner harness mounts as otherwise the eyebolts foul the center console if used where the oem seatbelt buckle mount is.

Rob R

Advanced Member
could you not mount the lap straps to the rear seat rail holes using eyelets? Or is this frowned upon as it's nice a seat belt anchor point as such?

Rob R

Advanced Member
Ah top man. The Takata bendy thingys might work down there. I'll experiment when it comes round to buying it all

ND1989

The brackets pictured above seem an elegant solution to the problem. And at only £12 they are a bit of a bargain I think. Shall be ordering some for the summer.