headlamp condensation

linzi94

Advanced Member
thought i would ask about this as rob-dc2 mentioned he has the same problem.

my n/s headlamp is steadily misting up - it didnt do this all of last summer, but its getting worse now.

after my fair share of selling "lexus lights" to joe public and recommending they reseal the lamps with clear silicone im wondering if my headlamp is not water/air tight anymore :?

some peeps (including more than one Honda technician) suggest i drill a wee hole in the bottom of the unit....

what does everyone here think?

fenomeno26

Advanced Member
i changed one of my headlights for this reason...however shortly afterwards the second started to show mist....what i did this time is i let it dry in the sun...did not wash the car and then put some black, glass silicone around the connecting points...well from where ever i thought water could get inside...now its much better...i suggest you do that before buying a headlight...

Duncs

its a common problem, i get a very small amount occasionally,
depends i suppose if the car is out in all weathers,

some have put those small bags of water absorbing crystalls in the headlight, it is supposed to help.

rossi

Had same problem in both :(
Changed headlight units ( you know me simon money no object thing) :oops:
But.....it came back
Did the drill hole/re-silicone thing works for a short while but comes back
Believe it or not not changed HID power units which were suprisingly full of water..had tip of Dave Johnson (what a very nice man)From steels in hereford about crystals put them in.........and touch wood have not had problem since
Now proud owner of spare lights and power units....lucky me :wink:

linzi94

Advanced Member
i was told to be careful when washing the front of the car as the HID power packs are not water-tight.

also, these crystals, are you putting them directly into the lamp? as in emptying a bag of them in - can you not see them inside the lamp in that case?

sorry for the twenty questions

DP.

Advanced Member
theres a simple solution for this...

simply wait for a nice warm / dry day and then undo the bulbs and let the condensation clear / evaporate itself before putting them back in... simple...

However, I was impatient and the weather was crap and so I went a step further and took the whole headlamp units out and took them inside my house to dry over night before putting them back in.

Not had the problem again since!

it worked for me and it worked for others on this forum... do a search

Rob-DC2

Advanced Member
Mine still has the normal bulbs in from after SVA, with the normal bulbs
theres now actual seel behind the lamps,

Im getting alot of water in one light :cry:

One of my bulbs is blown at present and ive swapped the bulbs and still n good its fused the ends of the plugs

Not sure what to try now :?

ADHDboy

Advanced Member
It depends where the condensation is, the units should be sealed in the front portion, if water / condensation there then try a warranty claim from Honda (should still be bound by the warrantee period if the car is new enough)

If older than the 2 or 3 years then try a syringe through the rubber seal to draw anything out, this should then reseal itself.

If the condensation is simply where the bulb fits in, then try a hairdryer on a dry day to dry it out.

Just watch the current from the light units, it's a little high.

linzi94

Advanced Member
i was surprised to see this after 3 years :lol: incase anyone wondered, i tried the hair dryer method and leaving dust covers off etc but all to no avail. in the end i got another (2nd hand) headlamp and fitted it myself. bumper off is really straightforward.

danny100

Advanced Member
i ve sorted the problem by:- remove the high-beam bulb(H1), then hair dryered it for a good 20 mins, after that, i left the H1 bulb out for 3 days, then it sorted...now i ve put that bulb back in ,touch wood it still fine... BTW i ve walked past a 58 plated Merc.SL55 AMG yesterday,had the same problem :shock: well, thats a £110k car ](*,)

Suped

Advanced Member
You need to put a few packets of silicon moisture packets into the headlamps. Works a treat. I collect these whenever I see them, so if anyone wants any, send me a SAE and I'll put a few packs your way FOC.

Zen1

Advanced Member
Yesterday, I took the time out to try rid my drivers side headlight of pretty bad condensation
by following this guide http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video ... ts-166345/

I removed all bulbs, and hairdryered the light housing until completely dry. I checked for all gaps, holes or bad seals on the headlight assembly.
I used a thin bead of silicone all around the seal even if it looked ok and anywhere else suspect.

Think my problem was that there was a round cutout under the lamp ballast that I hadn't previously noticed as it was covered. I sealed this hole with duct tape and refit the ballast.

Been out to check this morning and this has definately done the trick. :)