Headlight Restoration

Dan2020

Advanced Member
After having my car detailed a few weeks ago I was dissapointed with the look of the headlights always looking dirty after a wash due to the scatches/contamination from over the years.

First off, I removed both headlights so I wouldn't have to mask up the car and end up getting polish all over it!

1. Wet sand each headlight using 1200 grit, then 1500 grit then finish with 2000 grit

2. I then machine polished using a compound pad and 3M Perfect -It 3 course compound polish.

3. Wiped down the headlight and machine polished again with a compound pad using a finer G3 compound polish.

4. Wiped the headlight down again and machine polished using a 3M high gloss polishing pad and Autoglym Super Resin Polish

5. After washing off the excess polish I dried with a Meg's waffle drying towel.

6. I cleaned the glass with Meg's NXT Glass Cleaner and a microfibre cloth.

7. Finally I applied 2 coats of Meg's Gold Class wax buffing off with a Eurow Shag Pile towel.

Products used:

Finished lights:

Hope this helps!!

Dan2020

Advanced Member
You can get the same finish without a machine polisher I would just use a finer grade sandpaper to finish before polishing i.e. 2500 or or even 3000 grit (polishing paper).

If you have a spare headlight you can send it to me and I'll do it for you, for a small fee (£10) plus postage £8 to cover sending it back! Cheaper than a new headlight!!

jammy84

Advanced Member
any before pics?

also i noticed you were using glass polish, these headlights are plastic not glass, i use meg plastX

Dan2020

Advanced Member
jammy84 said:
any before pics?

also i noticed you were using glass polish, these headlights are plastic not glass, i use meg plastX

I didn't actually think of taking pics till I had already started, but it's a 2001 model with just over 70k on the clock so it might give you an idea of how bad they were.

I didn't use glass polish I used 2 paint cutting compounds and a paint polish. I very much doubt a plastic polish will give any different results.

LeeH

Advanced Member
8) Good job Dan.

Mine came up by just using a cutting pad with PlasticX and then a polish pad with some carlack68 sealant.

I now have beading headlights :lol:

Dan2020

Advanced Member
LeeH said:
8) Good job Dan.

Mine came up by just using a cutting pad with PlasticX and then a polish pad with some carlack68 sealant.

I now have beading headlights :lol:

I did go a bit over kill!! :lol: But didn't want to have to do them again!

Beading headlights are a must!! 8)

jay82

Advanced Member
hey dan was just wondering when you said wet and dry sandpaper did soak the sand paper or dip it each scrub, sorry for the stupid question was just wondering what the best way for doing it. also what do you and lee mean by beading?

Dan2020

Advanced Member
Dunk the sandpaper in a bucket of water, then rub on your headlight and keep dunking fairly regular to make sure you keep everything wet. Once you start it will all seem easy!! :wink:

As for beading, that's how the water runs off you car after you've waxed it (if done properly of course!). So because I waxed the headlights afterwards they will bead when I was the car!

A picture tells a thousand words (stolen from google image search!!):

Dan2020

Advanced Member
jasonjammessenger said:
wow some job there matey fancy givin mine a crack :wink:

If you want to send them to me then and cover the cost of return postage and a tenner for my time then I will!!;)

PooM

I had mine polished by my valeter, and they still came up the same. He reckoned it was the inside of the light that is stained. Have you got a pic of your light before hand, so I can see if its the same as mine? :)

Dan2020

Advanced Member
PooM said:
I had mine polished by my valeter, and they still came up the same. He reckoned it was the inside of the light that is stained. Have you got a pic of your light before hand, so I can see if its the same as mine? :)

Polishing on it's own probably wouldn't do it, I had to wet sand mine first. Unfortunately I didn't think of taking pics until after I started!!

dave kil

Advanced Member
Had a go at this while I had the bumper off this morning.
I'm pretty pleased with the end result, the inside of the lens looks like it has hairline cracks (I'm assuming from the heat of the lights)

It was in a pretty bad state before I started and was a bit embarrassing.

Before:

After:

PooM

Is the cloudyness always on the outside? I only ask as my headlights look like there is staining on the inside as well. One is worse than the other, it almost has a slight yellow tint to it. Is this to be expected and using your tutorial will clear it up nicely? :)

Dan2020

Advanced Member
PooM said:
Is the cloudyness always on the outside? I only ask as my headlights look like there is staining on the inside as well. One is worse than the other, it almost has a slight yellow tint to it. Is this to be expected and using your tutorial will clear it up nicely? :)
I thought mine were also stained on the inside until I did this and it was only on the outside, looked like new once done. If you follow what I done then you should be ok, if it doesn't work for you then it would be the inside.

PooM

I'll take some pictures and see what you think :)

Cheers for the tips tho dude, much appreciated! \:D/