Help...Do I need to change tyres?

maze

Hi peeps

I've just got my DC5 and it has original tyres on it (Yokohamas 18s)
A friend of mine looked at them and said that I should get them changed asap cos they weren't suitable for UK roads or something.
I haven't checked the tyre pressures yet but they feel a bit over pumped. Got any advice?

Duncs

they will be the japanese spec yokos, they are hard (sidewalls)
go to a uk spec tyre for a softer (V slightly ) ride,
i put on goodyear F1 gsd 3s, pretty good all round tyre.
keep your jap spec for the track!!
the jap tyres are not load rated for uk/euro roads, i had to change mine for the ESVA, it is a well known thing to put on a uk standard wheel/tyre combo to get it through the esva then put on the jap tyres, to sell.
where did you source the car from?
i am in gosport !!!!
so any othere questions be happy to advise or pop around and have a chat

maze

Hi Duncs!
Thanks for your reply. Gosport - wow I'm in Southsea.
Only just got my teg so I'm gonna need all your advice :)

BTW have you seen that teg for sale at new Honda port solent?
19K they are asking! ridiculous.

I went to Halfords yesterday and one of the guys there said to his mate, "Have you seen that new honda civic sports model?!" christ!
Did you see the fireworks on Tuesday?

Duncs

its a bit expensive but it is an 03 plate, and really clean, ADH have sold a couple already, i think it comes with a honda used car warranty as well, so if someone wants peace of mind it may well be the way to go.
happy to help with anything, even if you want to look over another car, mine is fairly (well almost) standard.
no missed the fireworks, up in scotland with work, watched it on sky news though pretty spectacular.
what are you going to do about the tyres then?

maze

I suppose I'll need to get some new tyres Duncs.... don't really want to but any ideas where's best?

Yeah that teg was an 03 but it was virtually the same as mine! (apart from c-pack - but still!) Think it's actually gone now. Didn't see it when i drove by. I got my car from an importer in Liverpool - bit far but well worth it.

I'm also missing the middle cap thingy in the centre of each wheel...would I have ask volk for replacements?

SJ_Skyline

Site Admin
If they are the Jap spec tyres then yes, get rid of them asap!! You will really notice a difference in handling and comfort when you change :)

I'm sure there is a "what tyre are you running" thread somewhere around here that will give you a good idea of peoples preferences....

Duncs

i am running Goodyear F1 GSD 3s, good all round tyre, but have a good look on here as people have tried lots of different things,
do you have volks wheels then?
we must get together and compare notes

Splink

Advanced Member
Out of the blue, I decided to try some uniroyal rainsport 1 tyres. I went from yokohama a539 tyres, and the uni's are really impressive. Excellent handling in the wet, a very soft ride, and really good in the dry, and very quiet too.

maze

hmmm...yes it is a bit of an unforgiving ride at the moment but have been pretty used to it from my previous Fiat coupe.
Yeah I've got Volks.. i'll get a pic of them..
cheers for the tyre advice.

dan the man

Advanced Member
japs being what they are, the tires on it must be good no?

its not a limo is it now so hard sidewalls i would live with a so good for precision. japs know there sh*t so surely tires must be up to the job.

:?