Hesitation and EML

berg

Hi guys

I‘m having an issue with my dc5, every time vtec engages there is a slight hesitation then the engine light immediately comes on

Vtec still engages but feels a bit flat and slower

Checked the codes with Kmanager and No codes are stored

Next time the car is started the light is off until you hit vtec again

Any ideas?

Thanks

SamDC5

Advanced Member
berg said:
Hi guys

I‘m having an issue with my dc5, every time vtec engages there is a slight hesitation then the engine light immediately comes on

Any ideas?

Thanks
Sounds like knock? Not sure if the ECU stores knock codes. What fuel are you using?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

berg

I just use bp ultimate which has been no issue for the last few weeks I‘ve had the car

SamDC5

Advanced Member
berg said:
I just use bp ultimate which has been no issue for the last few weeks I‘ve had the car
Ideally DC5's should run V-power or Tesco momentum in the U.K. This is because DC5's are mapped to run 100 RON fuel. V-power and Momentum are 99 RON which is the highest we have here. BP is only 98 so I'd firstly change to a 99 RON fuel.

Does sound like it could be knocking to me.

berg

Ok thanks I‘ll drain what‘s left in the tank tomorrow as it‘s just below a quarter and I‘ll get some momentum and see if it makes a difference

Cheers

Jvzr

Advanced Member
Ireland has nothing bar 95 octane and have never heard of a dc5 running into knock issues here, so unless it's terrible petrol

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Jvzr said:
Ireland has nothing bar 95 octane and have never heard of a dc5 running into knock issues here, so unless it's terrible petrol

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
I can't think of any other reasons why the EML light would come and it would hesitate, unless the knock sensor is knackered.

Might be worth getting some datalogging on the car

Liamneale69

If it‘s the knock sensor it should store a code, it should say something like knock detected or something along those lines, how old are your plugs?

adam.

Advanced Member
berg said:
Hi guys

Any ideas?

Thanks
Have you checked for codes immediately after the EML comes on, with a generic OBD reader before switching the ign off?

berg

adamlstr said:
Have you checked for codes immediately after the EML comes on, with a generic OBD reader before switching the ign off?
I did earlier but i switched the engine off leaving just ignition on

Tonight ive drove it and when the light came on i pulled over and left it running, plugged it in and its showing Throttle Position Sensor so it seems thats the issue

Least its a cheap fix :)

berg

Checked it with a multimeter today and readings are all good

I cant do it on kpro software as security is enabled from the place who the previous owner used to map it

berg

Quick update

I installed a brand new TPS today

Still getting the same issue but now it‘s storing a fault code in the ecu

“TPS voltage too high”

I‘ve calibrated it using a volt meter and its bang on 0.5v closed and it‘s 4.49v WOT

Does it need to also be calibrated in Kmanager?

I was told I can do it either in Kmanager or volt meter

I‘m confused as to why it still bringing the CEL on with a new sensor and causing the same issue as before