HKS Induction?

nattcharles

Hi guys, have any of you fitted a HKS Super Power Flow intake kit to your cars? If so could you give me some feed back on what you think of them and if you get much gains out of them?

SJ_Skyline

Site Admin
The issue here is position of the airbox - being fairly central and right next to the engine with no cold air feed.

I would have thought that performance gains would have been minimal if any.

All IMHO of course! :)

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
An Open Filter on a K20 engine, will only generate a lot of induction noise and in many cases cause a drop in power :cry:

Either go for a closed box after market system, or put the OEM box back on with a different filter :wink:

Mike

dan the man

Advanced Member
dc2 with hks

Im sure my dc2 (uk) has a super power flow, i know its a hks from the badge on it. Was already on when bought and is the only mod. The sound has grown on me especialy when the tec kicks in but these queries above got me thinking about the fact that is it doing any good? I know the evo buyers guide said stay away as the honda item is very specific so it has always been in the back of my mind, its a shroom shape. Also hks seem to be top end stuff to me so they must know what they are doing with the flow at high rpm etc or am wrong? Anyone know the answers?!! thanks again, you lot do seem to be a friendly bunch, and is there a website for dc2 owners? feel like a minor on here!!!!! :D

FunkyProduct

Advanced Member
Sucking in hot air on a NA is always a bad idea. For a turbo it's not such a problem cause the turbo heats it up even more and the intercooler drops it back down. However on the NA any increase of intake temp will cause a loss of power. Colder air = denser air = more power.
Changing your air box for an open 'induction kit' will more than likely increase the temp of the intake charge. A closed intake box intake (ie, Mugen) would be a good increase. Alternatively, what about a cold air intake? I've got an Injen cold air intake waiting to go onto my car. This puts the air filter pretty much inside the wing, outside the engine bay.

Well, hope this helps.

SJ_Skyline

Site Admin
Not sure about how honda MAFs are but I do know that the subaru MAF sensor is extremely twitchy and does not like certain filters (prone to blowing).

In a nutshell the air filter is there to make sure atmospheric cr@p, dust, twigs, small children, etc. don't get into your air/fuel mix. the MAF sensor is a little sensor that sits inside the pipe between the engine and the airbox measuring the intake of air amongst other things. There are (correct me if I am wrong) 3 main types of filter:
- Paper (Standard)
- Oil coated Cotton (e.g. K&N57i)
- Oil coated Sponge (e.g. HKS, Pipercross)
With an oil coated filter, too much oil means that oil will seep through and get into the fuel mix and mes your MAF up. Not enough oil means that the filter will not do it job properly and you will get dust and rubbish getting into your engine.

All of that said - IMHO Induction kits make a great sound :D (yes, I am a big kid!) and if you want to go down that route then as Chris says - some form of cold air intake is required. How to do this?
- Tubing piping air up from the brake cooling ducts onto the induction kit.
- Tubing from the front of the engine bay onto the induction kit.
- (My favourite) Get yourself a CF bonnet made with a mini scoop in it to duct cold air down onto the kit.

THe main prob with induction kits:

Even if you have a heatshield, cold air feed etc, once in slow moving traffic or stopped, the intake will draw in warm air and cause the ECU to retard which will lose power.

Honda ECU is very sensitive to this.

dan the man

Advanced Member
can anyone still maybe tell me whether the dc2 is better to have an aftermarket filter or original air box? like i said above, mine has a hks with a cold air feed but with all the talk of dc5 not liking filters then what about the dc2? thanks again chaps and chapesses!!

Del-R

Dan, its a bit of a debate that one. Personally I previously used a replacement fillter rather than a bolt on CAI or similar. If you have a search on certain other honda forums (like revolutions, honda-tech.com etc) you will find great discusions on the subject. good luck!

dan the man

Advanced Member
cheers del r, as i was neck and neck up too 110(not on public roads officer) with a new 330 coupe i guess its not losing much power and i like the noise so for the mo it will stay! BWAARP!! u know when im coming through! ps, west yorkshire? already asked somewhere else but wana meet? cant be far away from me and the best roads around! skipton old road and bolton abbey are funny as hell!! dan

Trung

Advanced Member
Mugen, ITG, Comptech Icebox or BMC CDA are the ones I would really go for your B-series engine.

Unnamed_warrior

Advanced Member
Hi Dan

Talk to my mate swlabhot (you can PM him on here) from http://www.TuningFX.com..

He has a DC2 ..turbo, dump valved up, you name it.. his car has probably got it :D ...

Anyway talk to him, he will be able to give you figures and facts about your filter mate and whether you should change it..

UW

Type R - Matt

Advanced Member
I would dump that HKS filter pronto, the bolt on filters suck in way too much hot air. The standard box is very good, a cheap option would be to replace the element.

As Trung already mentioned there is a few CAI available, my preffered option was the Mugen, but heard favourable comments on the Comptech Ice Box.

dan the man

Advanced Member
doh!! just me being thicko again. cheers boys. :wink: so standard for dc2 is the way to go?hm....