HKS Induction?

Mr_GaBIG

dan the man said:
so standard for dc2 is the way to go?hm....
The standard DC2 airbox is a good design, however it can be improved, the reason why people say the DC2 has a good airbox is because most, if not all, open induction kits lose power due to the heatsoak from the engine and manifold.

dan the man

Advanced Member
is that not when you are very slow moving tho? my filter is at the front of the bay with a cold pipe benath it. cant be too bad on the move surely? like to get it rr and see what its got but untill then the noise is all good!! ill think about the bmc but cant spare any at the mo as need to spend 10k on the pad. at least. :shock: thanks anyway, dan the man.

Mr_GaBIG

I attended a RR day back in August and a guy with an ITR had just a HKS induction kit, to his amazement he actually lost power, he achieved 175 bhp :(

dan the man

Advanced Member
hm..worrying. never know what else loses power too but i feel what your saying. bad fuel, etc etc. cheers anyway and i might try and sourse an airbox.or a better filter set up.

Mr_GaBIG

The best filters for the DC2 are closed air boxes, so anything that has a filter in a box with a cold air feed will do the trick :)

dan the man

Advanced Member
Cheers. Might have a go at enclosing the curent hks, would be a cheap way of reflecting heat for now, untill i sort out other options.The cars fast enough for any man on b-road so its not a disaster anyway! People will be talking about zondas and enzos saying,,,were loosing 5 brake there. damn! were down to 595 now.......... :shock: :D :D :D

Nat

I have got a HKS induction kit - and last time on roilling road it was giving out 200.5 BHP - does this mean if i take the induction kit off a put the old air box back in I will get more power???

Soz me being dumb now :wink:

Mr_GaBIG

Each dyno is different so you cannot compare both reuslts, however, the DC2 owner who achieved 175 BHP had his car dyno'd on a very hot day, most people lost considerable amount of power due to their short ram intakes sucking in hot air, the intakes which gave the best results were the ones which had a closed box with a filter inside it.

Your HKS induction kit may have given you a gain with the intake temperature being 20 deg celcius, but you will lose alot of power in the heat.

Type R - Matt

Advanced Member
Nat said:
I have got a HKS induction kit - and last time on roilling road it was giving out 200.5 BHP - does this mean if i take the induction kit off a put the old air box back in I will get more power???

Soz me being dumb now :wink:
Is yours the Racing Suction Kit or just the Mushroom on the end of the intake pipe?

Im very surprised that you made that power, RR's are only a guide and certainly not definitive measure of power and torque.

I wouldnt have thought you would get an increase if you bolted the OEM box back on.

Open air filters can make lots of power (but not always) on a RR because of many reasons:

Bonnet is open, allowing lots of cold air to get to it (which wouldnt happen in normal driving).
The run is only short and doesnt reflect a real world situation full of stop-starts, crawling through traffic etc.

GruppeM, Mugen etc air boxes arent designed to make more power on the road/RR :!: They are designed to maintain the cooling efficiency of the incoming air, which on a long run, will help prevent the ECU from retarding (as it sees hot air) and maintain power.