Honda MTF for racing

2Cent

Get a baffled sump fitted 100% for regular track use (trackdays or racing)
Talking about the gearbox here, wondering if the bonda MTF oil suffers like engine oil and whether shifting mid corner can suffer. For the engine, yeah I already had issues and received my clockwise baffle just over a week ago.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Talking about the gearbox here, wondering if the bonda MTF oil suffers like engine oil and whether shifting mid corner can suffer. For the engine, yeah I already had issues and received my clockwise baffle just over a week ago.
Oh ok cool, sorry that's my age showing as the way I read it was as if a youngster wrote the post " And are there issues like with engine oil all going to one side in corners? Any need for overfilling? ", nowadays they say like as pretty much every other word, so reading it the way I did it sounds as if it was a question about engine oil lol.

For reference I never had any transmission oil issues in circa 6yrs of heavy track only use in my car, never overfilled it etc and used it hard on track and that was basically it's only use

Tuneboy

Advanced Member
Oh ok cool, sorry that's my age showing as the way I read it was as if a youngster wrote the post " And are there issues like with engine oil all going to one side in corners? Any need for overfilling? ", nowadays they say like as pretty much every other word, so reading it the way I did it sounds as if it was a question about engine oil lol.

For reference I never had any transmission oil issues in circa 6yrs of heavy track only use in my car, never overfilled it etc and used it hard on track and that was basically it's only use
That i second. I once spoke with some EP3 guys who running belgium endurance series and they say after 60min the oil gets too hot and it destroys them gearboxes already, hence he fitted a pump and a cooler. But yeah, 60 min is alot though... If i see how long i race on the trackdays without a break.. 30min max?

carl hammond

Advanced Member
That i second. I once spoke with some EP3 guys who running belgium endurance series and they say after 60min the oil gets too hot and it destroys them gearboxes already, hence he fitted a pump and a cooler. But yeah, 60 min is alot though... If i see how long i race on the trackdays without a break.. 30min max?
If it's just trackdays you should be fine, I have done 50min sessions without a break and I was running Honda MTF transmission oil. My average sessions were always 35mins, a few laps warming up, 30 mins flat out then a few mins cooldown laps before letting the cooling finish in the pits. The longest session I did was just shy of an hour as I was having some great fun and lost track of time, the only reason I came in was I didn't see the fuel had literally vanished and I got a power loss which mmm was fuel shortage. I just managed to limp back to the pits to top it up enough to go and fill it up lol