How much kangaroo jumping is okay?

JordanSuth

Advanced Member
Hi all,

This is something that has been annoying me recently mainly because I've been doing a lot of town driving.

The problem I have is the car is a little jerky/jumpy at lower speeds in lower gears, 10/20/30mph, 1st and 2nd mostly. Also on and off the throttle the car can be jerky and jumpy.

I know the characteristics of the car can cause this. Lighter flywheel from factory etc but how much of this is normal?

I would interested to hear your responses on how you feel your car is.

FYI - I had my ICAV changed about half a year ago because it was rev hunting. I'm wondering if its worth checking the TPS but I'm interested go hear what other people experience in their cars.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Vteccin_teg

Advanced Member
JordanSuth said:
Hi all,

This is something that has been annoying me recently mainly because I've been doing a lot of town driving.

The problem I have is the car is a little jerky/jumpy at lower speeds in lower gears, 10/20/30mph, 1st and 2nd mostly. Also on and off the throttle the car can be jerky and jumpy.

I know the characteristics of the car can cause this. Lighter flywheel from factory etc but how much of this is normal?

I would interested to hear your responses on how you feel your car is.

FYI - I had my ICAV changed about half a year ago because it was rev hunting. I'm wondering if its worth checking the TPS but I'm interested go hear what other people experience in their cars.

I get this quite badly, once engine is hot and I've been driving a while jts not too bad. Mainly happens over speed bumps, so now I just don't touch throttle or brake as I'm going over them, helps alot tbf.

Alot of people say changing the TPS to an acuity Hall effect 1 helps alot. Ive got 1 sat upstairs just havnt had chance to fit it yet.

Soon as I do. Prob be July time, then I'll let you know how I get on.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

JordanSuth

Advanced Member
Vteccin_teg said:
I get this quite badly, once engine is hot and I've been driving a while jts not too bad. Mainly happens over speed bumps, so now I just don't touch throttle or brake as I'm going over them, helps alot tbf.

Alot of people say changing the TPS to an acuity Hall effect 1 helps alot. Ive got 1 sat upstairs just havnt had chance to fit it yet.

Soon as I do. Prob be July time, then I'll let you know how I get on.

Yeah it's definitely never as bad once it's warmed up but it never properly warms up around town. I've had to adjust my driving habits too so it's manageable.

Yes that would handy to know if it helps or not.

I was hoping to get more responses tbh to see what the general consensus is from owners.

Vteccin_teg

Advanced Member
There is a few posts already on here about it. Although I find the search function pretty redundant sometimes.
Just search for TPS issues or jerking and you'll see some other responses

20Drift

Members
Staff member
Mine does this as well.

A couple of people have said once mapped they're a lot better, which would probably mean the TPS change would help. I've just got used to it although it's pretty annoying when you're in a rush, you live in speed bump central like me and the car's cold!

ATC

Can't say I've ever noticed much tbh...

I guess a very small amount in 1st when it's cold, but it's more of a single "jump" as the IAC system takes over rather than multiple kangarooing actions

skengdR

Advanced Member
had this before i got remapped the first time . havent noticed it since

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

JordanSuth

Advanced Member
It sounds like most of you experience the same issue as me. I only get a single jump too and it's mostly when taking the foot off the throttle to slow down for a speed bump. It makes sense that the jump is when the IVAC takes over.

I'm sure most sports oriented cars have similar quirks but the Integra is my first so I was just trying to gauge how much is normal but sounds like it's more the characteristic of the car than a problem.

ATC

JordanSuth said:
I'm sure most sports oriented cars have similar quirks but the Integra is my first so I was just trying to gauge how much is normal but sounds like it's more the characteristic of the car than a problem.

Yeh, seems normal to me - had it in other cars too - the shorter the first gear (and these cars are very short) the worse the issue... which makes sense really - the revs drop so fast when decelerating that it's quite a job for the IAC to "catch" it and prevent the stall without some change in torque, coupled with the magnification of any lack of smoothness with a very short first gear and it's almost unavoidable.

If it bugs you, I find leaving a trailing throttle until just above idle speed cures it, or alternatively just dip the clutch and re-engage, that way you don't notice the "jump" in engine torque through a vehicle acceleration

JordanSuth

Advanced Member
ATC said:
Yeh, seems normal to me - had it in other cars too - the shorter the first gear (and these cars are very short) the worse the issue... which makes sense really - the revs drop so fast when decelerating that it's quite a job for the IAC to "catch" it and prevent the stall without some change in torque, coupled with the magnification of any lack of smoothness with a very short first gear and it's almost unavoidable.

If it bugs you, I find leaving a trailing throttle until just above idle speed cures it, or alternatively just dip the clutch and re-engage, that way you don't notice the "jump" in engine torque through a vehicle acceleration
That's makes sense. I find you always need to sacrifice one thing for another when building these sorts of cars. I will take the excellent gear ratios on the car over a little jumping.

I've learned to adapt my driving by using the clutch. I suppose lockdown has given me too much time to think about the car

cam87

I used to get this quite badly but last week i got round to changing all the engine mounts to new genuine ones and its pretty much gone away unless its a very uneven surface

cam87

you can also get a full set off ebay of non genuine mounts for about £190 if i remember rightly from the other week

JordanSuth

Advanced Member
I will probably be swapping mine after the winter but I will be going for genuine Honda parts. Not really something worth going cheap on.

PickleBett

Hey all ive had the same issues and had my tps checked and its bang on with voltages open and closed, need to try and clean the idle control valve next. fingers crossed its this that is the issue as it very annoying. definitely dont think its right as being my mate tegs his feels so smooth compared to mine and even my civic ep3 type r wasnt bad.

JordanSuth

Advanced Member
Hey all ive had the same issues and had my tps checked and its bang on with voltages open and closed, need to try and clean the idle control valve next. fingers crossed its this that is the issue as it very annoying. definitely dont think its right as being my mate tegs his feels so smooth compared to mine and even my civic ep3 type r wasnt bad.
I swapped out my ICAV last year as I was getting rev hunting issues and the kangaroo jumping was bad. I checked my TPS the other day and the figures were 0.54 closed and 4.65 open. How accurate were your figures when you checked? I'm wondering if it's worth adjusting my TPS.

PickleBett

I swapped out my ICAV last year as I was getting rev hunting issues and the kangaroo jumping was bad. I checked my TPS the other day and the figures were 0.54 closed and 4.65 open. How accurate were your figures when you checked? I'm wondering if it's worth adjusting my TPS.

The voltage closed was 0.5v and open was 4.72v

need to strip and clean the icav at some point this weekend and see if that helps.