How to change rear pads

keeno

Whilst this is a guide for the DC5, it think that this should also be the same for the civics.

BEFORE REMOVING THE WHEEL COMPLETELY, PLEASE ENSURE YOUR CAR IS JACKED UP CORRECTLY, RESTING ON AN AXLE STAND (I USED TWO TO BE EXTRA SAFE) AND THE WHEELS CHOCKED SECURLY AS YOU NEED TO RELEASE THE HANDBRAKE.

1 ) Undo the bolt holding on the breakhose

2 ) Undo the two bolts holding on the caliper

3 ) Take off the handbrake, remove the caliper to expose the pads. Pull out the pads (they might need a gentle tap) - take note of the way the pads come off

4 ) Make sure to place the backing plates onto the pads. Apply some copper grease between the two (grease not shown in pic)

5 ) Place the new pads on

6 ) Before replacing the caliper you need to push the caliper back in. You cannot do this with a C clamp as it is on a thread so you will need to 'wind' it back in. If you dont have a 'wind back tool' you can use a large flat head screw driver like i did. You will need to 'win' the piston back in clockwise.

7 ) There is a bobble at the centre of the pad that the piston pushes onto. Make sure that, when replacing the caliper, this slots into one of the slits on the piston.

8 ) Do up the caliper and brake hose bolts and your finished

DC5_Bonson

Advanced Member
That's a good guide there, but i just want to add a little a bit to it;

While pressing the caliper piston back in, (in some cases if the pads are excessively worn) it's best to release the bleeder valve to let some brake fluid out so it makes it easier to push the piston back into position, once it's in place, close the valve. check the brake fluid from the reservoir and top it up if needed.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
Keeno, you need new discs too by the looks of it.

With reference to Bonsons post, i would defo not recomend loosening the bleed nipple, the risk of getting air into the system is too great if its not done correctly.

Stoo

Whining.....
As simon says.
Don't undo the nipple. Take the lid off the reservoir instead.

DC5_Bonson

Advanced Member
I think if you dont pump the brake pedal, it will should be ok. But I did it this way and it works for me. But yeh, for those whos not keen on bleeding brakes dont do it.

carlos7777777

Advanced Member
I'm now trying to do this. Undone all the bolts ect but the caliper doesn't seem to want to come off at all...

Brophy

Advanced Member
Just done recently, you undo the two on the calliper and remove may need some slight encouragement with rubber mallet etc. Then if changing discs remove carrier.

Also remember to pop cap off the brake fluid reservoir so can wind the piston back in.

carlos7777777

Advanced Member
I managed to get it off, needed to pull it a bit harder lol...

Yea I remember to undo the brake reaevoir bottle lid. Wound them in no problem.

Passenger side took me over an hour to do as it was my first time, driver side took 10 mins lol...

Now time to do an oil change.

Thanks for your help mate.