How to Install Super Pro front caster lower polyurethane bushes

JamesSSB

Advanced Member
Hi,
So after hours of looking for a how 2 guide and not finding one for the JDM Aluminium arms I have now done one for you all 8)

This How 2 will show how to Install a SuperPro front caster lower polyurethane bush kit, I take no responsibility for any damages that may occur by following this guide, the instructions provided with the kit are to be followed!.

So first off remove the lower arms. I am not going to tell you how, because if you cant work that out for yourself then don't do the following job as its much harder.
I wont lie to you, you will need some sort of hydraulic press to remove the OEM bushes.

The bushes are SuperPro bushes manufactured by Fulcrum Suspensions in Brisbane Australia, they only have the base RSX-S model. SuperPro have not designed the template they supply in the kit for use with the aluminium arms but for the steel one, but it still works however.

Front Bush
The template supplied in the picture bellow has been cut out and positioned on top of the arm, I have cut out the round location mark which you line up with the round casting knob on the arm to get the correct position. Once this is correct you use a centre punch on the arm to mark the position of the bush. (Please not that I found the supplied template too small and had to enlarge it 4%

Once happy, proceed to the Hydraulic press and remove the old bush from the arm.

The new one can now be pressed into position making sure the bush lines up with the marks made earlier. ( Please note than the bush must be level and square at all times when pressing it into the arm or it will crack the casting! )

once in it should look like this, notice the offset hole for the new caster setting.

install the metal centre tube and cone bushes supplied making sure to lubricate the metal parts and the polyurethane that is in contact with it to stop them from wearing out.

Rear Bushes
The Rear bushes I could not fit under the Press, So I had to drill out the centre rubber part of the bush. I used a 8mm drill bit and went around the central hub. Once you have made it weak swist it out with some grips until it looks like bellow.

Lots of rubber!!! LOL

Now the core is out, The outer metal ring has to be removed. the Easy way to do this is to use a hacksaw blade to cut through the metal.

Once it has been cut use a flat screw driver to swist the metal inwards and the piece will become loose to pull out of the arm.

Once the rear hole is cleaned and ready for the polyurethane, coat the internal metal and the outside of the bushes with lubricant supplied and insert the 2 half's of the rear bush, they slide in very easy by hand. again once this is done, lubricate the metal bolt tube and the internal hole of the bushes and insert the tube with the aid of a press or a bench vice.

I removed my subframe but you dont have to,

And your done!

I Hope this has helped some people, I have also sent a link to superPro in Austrlia so to help them out. They have never seen a DC5 aluminium arm before so this should help them out.

James.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
Yes in Oz they dont get the type R as we know it, (it is an rsx-s)

good guide now a sticky

Stoo

Whining.....
Awesome.
Out of interest, how much are the bushes.
They are next on my ever decreasing list of things to buy!!!
Have you noted any difference btw??

Stoo

JamesSSB

Advanced Member
Thanks guy's,
Stoo,
there was a group buy with SPD and we got them cheaper than normal.
i cant remember exactly but i think arround the £90 mark for this kit.
Iv got front and rear lower bushes, and rear upper bushes. I also bought the subframe bolt spacer bushes also, hope to start the upgrades tomorrow if its not raining lol

James

VR46

I'm in the process of looking to replace these bushes at the moment. I'm trying to decide whether to go for Energy suspension bushes or these 'caster increase' Superpro ones.

Couple of questions:

1) How much positive caster do these bushes induce?
2) With the positive camber and polyurethane bush is there a noticeable difference in steering feel and handling?

I'd greatly appreciate any feedback before I decide which ones to go for.

Cheers

Steve_DC5

Advanced Member
I have these no idea on the caster does give a bit sharper turn in feel but only ran on my winter tyres which have really soft sidewalls since install. Will confirm what they are like when I eventually get back onto re070.

JamesSSB

Advanced Member
Like Steve said, turn in and wheel straightening is increased. Caster is not much, I can't remember exactly about 1-2 degree's.

So super pro is the only kit designed for the DC5, the energy suspension kit is made in the USA for the RSX model which runs the EP3 running gear.

If you do want this done contact TGM sport and we can do it. I now work for them in the bodyshop.

James.

VR46

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. I've used Energy suspension bushes in the past when I fitted them to my old prelude type s and I was really impressed by them. You mention they're for the RSX and EP3 but aren't they exactly the same as the DC5 Type R anyway?
I'm just trying to decide whether the extra money for the Superpro bushes is really worth it. 99% of the time the car will be used on the road but I do plan to do the odd track day in the future so thats why I thought about adding in the caster to help with the high speed stability and turn in.

JamesSSB

Advanced Member
Nope, the front and rear arms are totally different and so are the ARB on the DC5. So the bushes don't work.

They are also slightly harder in polyurethane hardness the super pro bushes so are slightly better.

ckh

Advanced Member
JamesSSB said:
Like Steve said, turn in and wheel straightening is increased. Caster is not much, I can't remember exactly about 1-2 degree's.

So super pro is the only kit designed for the DC5, the energy suspension kit is made in the USA for the RSX model which runs the EP3 running gear.

If you do want this done contact TGM sport and we can do it. I now work for them in the bodyshop.

James.
James when do you have spare time to do mine? :xgrin:

JamesSSB

Advanced Member
No mate. Best thing is to ring the office tomorrow. It's a big labour intensive job so will be pricey.

_BILLY_EK9_

Advanced Member
im sure Tom at TGM told me the bush kit is the same for the ep3 as the dc5 on the front bottom arm, only difference is the arms not the bushes. anyone confirm this ?

Also really need to order some of these, found this kit, any good ?

http://www.funkypower.co.uk/catalogue.php?make=HONDA&model=INTEGRA&year=2001%2B+DC5+INTEGRA+TYPE+R&level1=SUSPENSION+%26+STABILITY&level2=BUSHINGS&level3=CONTROL+ARM+BUSHINGS&id_product=7221

ok even the link says dc5/ep3 so must be the same.

anyone seen this kit cheaper anywhere ? eBay maybe ?