How to remove the oil filter?

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
:oops: almost 3hours later and the fecking thing still wont come off!! :evil:

I've tried a chain filter remover and a strap one. I went and bought one that fits on the top but it was the wrong size :roll:

Any tips?

fonz600

Advanced Member
Using a filter tool like u got is the best bet but granted mine was mega tight too. Sometimes it is easy from underneath.
If u can get a long flat head screw driver to the base of the filter u could try and use it as a chisel and knock it with a hammer till u break the seal then use strap or hand to take it off the rest of the way. Word of warning tho, u should only really use the screwdriver method if u r pretty mechanically profeccient as it's easy to slip off

mikegsi

Staff member
have you taken the driveshaft cover off? gives easier access to the filter, im sure theres a how to video floating about somewhere :wink:

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
Did you mother never teach you that if you dont have anything nice to say then dont?? :p :lol: :lol:

I'll hunt around tomorrow for a better tool....

Breeze

Occasionally when I just cannot get the suckers off I have had to resort to putting a screwdriver right through it to get it off. You have to punch it right through both sides. There is not much room in there though.

It is messy and a pain. If you are going to regularly change it get the honda tool or the small fit hex head filter wrench.

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
I found some large oil filter pilers....they mangled the filter but it finally came off :)

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
Wootty said:
Did you not manage to get that tool we talked about. If so did it not work??
When I went to look for it they didnt have it in stock. I would still like to try one as the pliers damage it if you use them to torque one up

mikegsi

Staff member
only needs to be hand tight when you put it back on though, ive never used any tools when putting the filter back on

vincent

You should have gotten the tool, then you don't have to get burn & can do the oil hot or cold. Best of all, Able to tighten the Oil Filter to the torque specs too with a torque wrench :lol: