HSD MonoPro Coilovers

kammy11

Advanced Member
I was just wondering if anyone has run HSD MonoPro on the DC5. I had these on my EM1 and I am looking into some coilovers for my DC5 currently
Also seen 6two1 are brining out their new range seem pretty good but unsure as they're new

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
I've got them on my car. On the softest setting I was never happy with them but I've now adjusted the damping on them and they are great, not any less stiff if I'm honest but by God it does handle well.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

badeshi

Advanced Member
I have them on Grants old car... Anyone got any setup tips? I have had issue with scrubbing since realignment so have raised slightly which has solved the scrubbing but i cant find a good damper/preload setting and am now finding them very bouncy! Throws anything around in the boot!

Also the click adjuster on the front has broken has anyone tried removing and just using an Allen key? I will contact hsd for advice also but wondered what others were using...
I primarily use the car for road driving and would like to get it tuned for our bumpy b roads!

Cheers

Merry Xmas!

spooke

Advanced Member
Set the spring preload so that the spring can't move and I'd go for middle damping all round and tweak from there to suit yourself.

badeshi

Advanced Member
I am continuing to experiment... cornering is excellent and no scrubbing anymore but ride is still quite bouncy!

I have no preload, well I tightened by hand until the spring wouldn't twist any more and have tried very soft then very hard and can't really feel much difference...

I am now nearer the middle and feels a bit more stable but def a 'bounce' at times...

I also have a slight annoyance as the adjusters get stuck on a bolt at times(?)... usually one side is adjustable but not the other depending on how the car is parked!
I will take the carpet out and try filing down slightly...

But this makes me wonder whether a bit of preload would be good? would pull the adjusters down a bit anyway! :)

In less good news the front adjusters are seized up....

badeshi

Advanced Member
After some more reading into 'bouncy' shocks, maybe I have more of a slow settle? hit a bump and car almost oscillates a couple of times?
there is def no 'bounce' when stationary, you can hardly move the shocks at all!

badeshi

Advanced Member
I think mine are 10 up front and 14 at the rear?

Meant to make a note the other day bt as sure I could remember!!! haha

M

mattreay

9kg/mm front and 12kg/mm rear I believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spooke

Advanced Member
I don't think it is necessary to touch pre-load? Not on a road going car anyway..

badeshi

Advanced Member
The rears have a less sophisticated design than the fronts and everything must be loosened to allow you to raise/lower the height... so pre load has to be reset every time you adjust them...

I have got the height ok but the ride is fully awful now! huge bouncing smashes at slow speed especially... :(

spooke

Advanced Member
badeshi said:
The rears have a less sophisticated design than the fronts and everything must be loosened to allow you to raise/lower the height... so pre load has to be reset every time you adjust them...

I have got the height ok but the ride is fully awful now! huge bouncing smashes at slow speed especially... :(
Ah sorry I didn't realize that was the case, tbh I think you'll have to get a set that does allow individual adjustment.

badeshi

Advanced Member
the height and preload are still independent but it needs resetting each time... It has always been hard but I swear it used to be better! if it wasn't raining constantly I would have tried some more adjustments today...

may save up for something new though, I find the full lack of HSD documentation troubling...

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
To chip in here

badeshi said:
I am continuing to experiment... cornering is excellent and no scrubbing anymore but ride is still quite bouncy!

I have no preload, well I tightened by hand until the spring wouldn't twist any more and have tried very soft then very hard and can't really feel much difference...

I am now nearer the middle and feels a bit more stable but def a 'bounce' at times...

I also have a slight annoyance as the adjusters get stuck on a bolt at times(?)... usually one side is adjustable but not the other depending on how the car is parked!
I will take the carpet out and try filing down slightly...

But this makes me wonder whether a bit of preload would be good? would pull the adjusters down a bit anyway! :)

In less good news the front adjusters are seized up....
I'm very sorry to here they have seized, as per my build thread they were fully stripped and greased up to try and prevent this. Quite annoyed by this to hear they have seized :-(

I think you might be running a tad to much preload on the spring - to much preload will make it bouncy as the spring is already slightly under compression rather than its "natural" position. When setting the preload I found that the difference between taking up the slack between the adjusters and stopping the spring moving was quite a lot.

I'm struggling to understand what you mean by the adjusters getting stuck on a bolt?? The adjusters on the rear shocks shouldn't interfere with anything???

Regarding the dampening adjustment, i'd try and start at the middle of the dampening range and try adjusting from there. I found at the softest extreme the car handled worse and wasn't any comfier, just less controlled. I think the general rule is to avoid both extremes and find what works for you after that.

FYI - I think Driftworks claim to stock full spares for the HSD Coilovers so if you need new adjusters they might be able to help.

C&S Evo7 said:
does anyone know the spring rates ?
The spring rates from memory were 10/14kg as they were (at the time) misadvertised at 9/12kg and I complained about it but the company only wanted to sell me replacement springs rather than doing anything else.

badeshi said:

The rear suspension on the DC5 and EP3 is poor for lowering, there is so little travel. Big issue with some coilovers is that when lowering you lose even more of the travel. The HSD rear suspension is quite clever in its method for maintaining travel but it does make it a bugger to adjust.

badeshi

Advanced Member
Hey Grant,

I'm struggling to understand what you mean by the adjusters getting stuck on a bolt?? The adjusters on the rear shocks shouldn't interfere with anything???
yeah the way the adjusters have got higher is really weird! I used to be able to turn either easily by hand but now it depends if I park on a slope or not, so I guess how much weight is on the shock... thats why I wondered whether some MORE preload would actually pull the adjusters down slightly...

When setting the preload I found that the difference between taking up the slack between the adjusters and stopping the spring moving was quite a lot.
Yes I did it up by hand until I couldn't turn it any more but not super solid... I will try even less tomorrow...

What would happen if the front was hard damping and rear soft? would that make it crashy?

I am confident that I can get it ok again as it was much better as you had it set, hard but not crashy!

nice one

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
badeshi said:
Hey Grant,

yeah the way the adjusters have got higher is really weird! I used to be able to turn either easily by hand but now it depends if I park on a slope or not, so I guess how much weight is on the shock... thats why I wondered whether some MORE preload would actually pull the adjusters down slightly...

Yes I did it up by hand until I couldn't turn it any more but not super solid... I will try even less tomorrow...

What would happen if the front was hard damping and rear soft? would that make it crashy?

I am confident that I can get it ok again as it was much better as you had it set, hard but not crashy!

nice one
You'll have to get a picture bud as I'm still struggling to follow. I can't think what is that close?

You can have the dampening different front to rear, depends on driving style and personal preference. Muck about and see what you like. Got to think that people with the rear of the car stripped out will maybe running slightly different dampening settings compared to someone who has a full interior.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
well the HSD site is full of useful info. NOT. not a mention of specs or spring rates in sight, just some marketing blurb to make you think you are buying some quality coilovers. not wishing to upset anyone but they to me look the same as many of the brands available from the same factory in china/taiwan, same as D2, Ksport, BC etc. probably Meister too just a slightly different colour (although at least Jerrick at Meister R has some real knowlage and backup available and supplies springs suitable for our roads)

how do the rears adjust height ? looking at the picture if you change the height on the rear it also changes the pre load unless something funky happens in the top mount. the fronts should be easy enough to change height without changing the preload.

different suspension manufaturers have different ways of pre-loading their dampers , generally if i was doing it and had no instructions i would wind up the spring perch by hand until it was touching the spring then another turn and a half. the spring needs a little pre load or it will go loose everytime the suspension unloads or you go over a hole.

personally i would think 10 and 14 kg springs are a too stiff for road use thats a race spring really, i would recommend 8 and 12 .

when the spring os too firm it can make the drive very crashy and bouncy as the damper struggles to control the springs oscillations.

spooke

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
well the HSD site is full of useful info. NOT. not a mention of specs or spring rates in sight, just some marketing blurb to make you think you are buying some quality coilovers. not wishing to upset anyone but they to me look the same as many of the brands available from the same factory in china/taiwan, same as D2, Ksport, BC etc. probably Meister too just a slightly different colour (although at least Jerrick at Meister R has some real knowlage and backup available and supplies springs suitable for our roads)

how do the rears adjust height ? looking at the picture if you change the height on the rear it also changes the pre load unless something funky happens in the top mount. the fronts should be easy enough to change height without changing the preload.

different suspension manufaturers have different ways of pre-loading their dampers , generally if i was doing it and had no instructions i would wind up the spring perch by hand until it was touching the spring then another turn and a half. the spring needs a little pre load or it will go loose everytime the suspension unloads or you go over a hole.

personally i would think 10 and 14 kg springs are a too stiff for road use thats a race spring really, i would recommend 8 and 12 .

when the spring os too firm it can make the drive very crashy and bouncy as the damper struggles to control the springs oscillations.
I agree, although afaik MeisterR do have the ability to adjust the rear height with the lower mount being threaded onto the damper, so you get individual height/preload adjustment. I wonder what the ride height comes out as on the rear if you set the preload rather than setting it for ride height (increasing preload).