Hunting on cold start

Iavechanged

Hi guys

The RPM are hunting up and down on cold start. If I don't open the trottle it will die out. I've taken apart the IACV and cleaned it once but its didn't fix it. It is like the engine is being smothered until i rev it, then I hear a clink sound (almost like a valve opening or something, quite loud, can hear inside in car) and runs ok then.

Any suggestions would be great!

Bonito

Advanced Member
Fast Idle valve or Idle Control Sensor. Did you completely strip down the IACV housing all the way to the butterfly valve?

Iavechanged

Yes, I took off the little motor so I was able to turn the valve to clean either side. It was dirty and I thought I had found the problem, but when I put it back together the same thing was happening.

Fubar Andy

Advanced Member
I had that, I just when for a hard drive and it cleared up up...as it had been sat for a few weeks.

Iavechanged

No good for me, I've had this problem a few months now and its got a few hard drives and never sorted it. Does anyone know a way of testing the IACV when it is out to make sure its working correctly? Could I just put 12v directly on to the solenoid?

Bonito

Advanced Member
Spin the butterfly valve by hand? I wish I'd taken pics and made a how to when I did mine! I completely stripped mine down!

leejw87

Spoon Whore
Check the crankcase breather from the block to the inlet manifold and make sure theres no split & any other breather that is after the TB