Hybrid Racing Detent Springs

MattyBond

Hello guys and girls!

Thought I would do a quick guide on how to install Hybrid racing detent springs!

Tools you will need are:
1. Flat head screw driver for the Inlet
2. 12mm socket for the detent spring bolts
3. 17 mm deep socket for the mount to gearbox bolts/nuts
4. 17mm spanner for the mount to chassis bolts

1. Remove whatever inlet you are running, in this case I removed my strut brace and my Gruppe M!
Screenshot_20200705-185832_Gallery.jpg

2. Remove your gearbox mount fully, there is 2 nuts and one bolt directly on top of the box, and 3 bolts that hold the mount to the chassis of the car!
20200704_082846.jpg

3. Once the mount is removed you will see the 3 bolts on top of your gearbox.
Screenshot_20200705-190506_Gallery.jpg

4. Undo the 12mm bolts and remove the springs this is what it will look like.

Screenshot_20200705-190830_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200705-190724_Gallery.jpg

5. Now swap the springs with your Hybrid Racing ones and refit to the vehicle, do not pull the ball out or change gear with the springs removed!

6. Refit all removed parts and take it for a drive!

gaza4

Advanced Member
nice simple write up, i would however advise throwing a jack under the gearbox to support it while the mount is removed

MattyBond

nice simple write up, i would however advise throwing a jack under the gearbox to support it while the mount is removed
I was going to mention it but I never bothered, you can throw a jack under it if you struggle to get the mount bolts to line up correctly :D

Mike9000

Advanced Member
Great write up, thanks. Halfway through this job at the moment but can't get the top right bolt on the gearbox loose (I think I just need a breaker extension and the arms of a man) or the bolt that mounts the mount to the body closest to the bulkhead (basically the two top right bolts in step 3) - complete lack of room and I'm only able to get a 17mm ratchet spanner on it! :(

Any advice or additional tools needed?

I've done the selector springs and the solid bushes, both easy and feels good, its just getting access to the detents which is causing me issues.

Thanks.

Mike9000

Advanced Member
Thinking on I could just remove the mount bracket rather than the mount as well, saw a guide on youtube doing that but it looked like access will be difficult.

Lemons

Advanced Member
Soak it in wd40 and go to halfords. Always so much easier with the right tools.

JustinEET

Advanced Member
One thing about those detent spring bolts is to becareful.
Even when I was torque them to spec, one broke off.
Talk about headaches I had to pull whole transmission apart and it was hard to do since the ball was still being pushed by the spring into the gear selector arms.

Mike9000

Advanced Member
Cheers guys - I think I'm going to leave the detent springs and keep hold of them in case I end up having the engine mounts replaced. Don't particularly want to mash up any bolts by accident (all looks original from 2001, no wonder its hard going...!) and I've heard about the bolts breaking before.

I've done the delrin shifter bushes, Hybrid Raching selector springs and shifter cable bushings and in comparison to when I bought the car the shifts are so much better. Might as well put the car back together and enjoy until the winter draws in!

20Drift

Members
Staff member
Great write up, thanks. Halfway through this job at the moment but can't get the top right bolt on the gearbox loose (I think I just need a breaker extension and the arms of a man) or the bolt that mounts the mount to the body closest to the bulkhead (basically the two top right bolts in step 3) - complete lack of room and I'm only able to get a 17mm ratchet spanner on it! :(

Any advice or additional tools needed?

I've done the selector springs and the solid bushes, both easy and feels good, its just getting access to the detents which is causing me issues.

Thanks.
Had the same issue, then remembered I had a serpentine belt tool, but not the right ends. Bought some more crows feet spanner heads and then managed to get enough to crack the bolts loose and then finish off with a normal spanner.

Serpentine belt tool: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-255054-Serpentine-Belt-Tool/dp/B00OKSAA8A
Extra heads: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-Piece-Crows-Spanner-10-19/dp/B009ZX1IO0

Mike9000

Advanced Member

JordanSuth

Advanced Member
One thing about those detent spring bolts is to becareful.
Even when I was torque them to spec, one broke off.
Talk about headaches I had to pull whole transmission apart and it was hard to do since the ball was still being pushed by the spring into the gear selector arms.
Nearly ended up doing this!! On Hybrid Racing's website it says 16ft/lb (29NM) but in fact 16 ft/lb equates to 22NM. I am extremely lucky I didn't strip the threads as I kept tightening them but had to stop myself as they were just they felt too tight.. and for good reason I was over tightening!!

So FYI for anyone in the future is 22NM.

Them Witches

I installed these and had no problem with stripping the threads. The service manual says 16lbf-ft or 22Nm. Replacing the sealing washers is needed.

JordanSuth

Advanced Member
I installed these and had no problem with stripping the threads. The service manual says 16lbf-ft or 22Nm. Replacing the sealing washers is needed.
Yes, it says 22Nm now because I contacted Hybrid Racing to make them aware of the error... and the washers don't need replacing but there would no harm in it.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Them Witches

Yes, it says 22Nm now because I contacted Hybrid Racing to make them aware of the error... and the washers don't need replacing but there would no harm in it.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk
The service manual says to replace the detent 12mm washers. That is what I did with mine. The service manual also states 22Nm.

I choose to replace the steel balls since it wasn't that much extra.

page. 480