Ideal K20a Cylinder Compression Figures

Chris_EK4

What In Psi should a healthy DC5 produce on a compression test? I've read online 230 psi is this correct?

What are people actually seeing from theirs?

Thanks

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
it can vary so much tbh, but you are looking for them to be very close to each other within 28psi , they can be as low as 170 and as high as 230 on healthy engines, the test equipment has alot to do with this,

test should be carried out with throttle wide open too.

Chris_EK4

Ok thanks buddy, I did a test with a cold engine (didn't hold throttle open, was closed, didn't know) and it read between 183-190 psi in each cylinder, I'm a bit worried as I thought this was a little low, its over fueling a bit at the moment as it has a DC Sports decat and 3'' solid fab exhaust and no map (engine lights not on)? so was worried about cylinder/bore health. (getting RBC and map in march)

I'll try again with the throttle open, I did a test on my old B18CR in my old EK4 with throttle closed and it read 185 psi, again low but made 204 and 209bhp on different dyno's with basic bolt on's (intake/inlet/tb/exhaust/) and no map, which is very strong so hopefully means the K20's in good health too, hopefully will read higher with throttle open

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
sounds about right , consistency is whats important, throttle needs to be open so it can get some air in it.

poeter

My jdm ep3r read 175 175 170 175 the last time I read. Doesn't consume oil.

Engine felt normal. No dramas.

As C&S Evo7 said, it's all about consistency. Service manual's minimum limit is 135psi

Another factor that could vary the reading the health of the car battery. A weak battery may also cause a lower reading.

Chris_EK4

Thanks guys, Did it just now with engine at running temp, throttle open, made 227, 220, 220, 221 so hopefully alls good, needle jumped around a bit but read full psi in a few seconds of turning engine over (around 12 turns)

Perri

poeter said:
My jdm ep3r read 175 175 170 175 the last time I read. Doesn't consume oil.

Engine felt normal. No dramas.

As C&S Evo7 said, it's all about consistency. Service manual's minimum limit is 135psi

Another factor that could vary the reading the health of the car battery. A weak battery may also cause a lower reading.
If you do not mind me asking was this compression test done cold with throttle closed ?

Also how many kilometers on the engine .