Identifying gearbox help

ChrisC

Hi guys,

First post finally :)

I'm looking to buy my first teg type r and I've spotted one I quite like but it has in the description its had a gearbox change along with clutch whilst in the UK. I haven't got chance to call them until Wednesday about it to ask the questions, if it all goes ok on the phone I was hoping to view at weekend.
But is there any way I can see whether this is a genuine dc5 gearbox with LSD? I'm just a bit worried it may have been replaced with the civic type r gearboxes box without the LSD or another box minus the LSD, is any of the above possible?

I've tried searching but couldn't find any exact answers, I'm not exactly sure if the civic type r gearbox is compatible, I just assumed so since they have same mounting points

Any info on this subject would be great.

Thanks

Chris

Paudie_DC5R

An ITR gearbox has code Y2M3 wheras a UK CTR gearbox no lsd has code NPQ3. This is on the side of the box followed by the box serial number.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Paudie_DC5R said:
An ITR gearbox has code Y2M3 wheras a UK CTR gearbox no lsd has code NPQ3. This is on the side of the box followed by the box serial number.
Or if you really want to get your hands dirty:

Jack the front of the car up both sides (axle stands) and rotate one of the wheels forwards or back words. If it has an LSD the wheels will both go in the same direction. If not, then the wheels will go in opposite directions.

Adam

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Gok (aka Chinese Adam) said:

Jack the front of the car up both sides (axle stands) and rotate one of the wheels forwards or back words. If it has an LSD the wheels will both go in the same direction. If not, then the wheels will go in opposite directions.

Adam
Great tip that Adam. ;)

ChrisC

That's great info thanks guys :)

I knew there was a way to tell by turning the wheels just couldn't remember how it worked haha

Also in regards to the code, when you say on the side of the box, where roughly would I be looking, and is that a jack the car up job too?

Chris

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Was just going to say, plant your foot down on a slippery road and if it starts to drag you across to the other side of the road you know it has a diff!
Good luck with the viewing :)

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member

Adam
actually that is incorrect unless the car has a plated diff like a spoon etc, it wont work with a torque sensing diff like the oem honda one ;)

wj51fut

Advanced Member
I'm 99% sure both of my wheels spin in the same direction. Perhaps I have a different diff?

Paudie_DC5R

The code is on the side of the gearbox when looking in at the front of the car so look down between the engine and the battery at the gearbox for it or if you have it jacked up then look at it from underneath but there is no need to jack it up just to see the code.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
I'm 99% sure both of my wheels spin in the same direction. Perhaps I have a different diff?
lol, its up to you if you believe me or not ;) but trust me , an oem DC5 lsd is torque sensing , meaning it transfers torque ( if ratio is say 4:1) from the slipping wheel and sends 4 times the torque to the other wheel, but when it is jacked up or the slipping wheel loses all traction the torsion diff doesnt work as 4x0 is still 0.