**** IMPORTANT MESSAGE **** FORUM CLOSURE ****

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
With a very heavy heart i have made the hard decision to close the DC5 forum down , ive been paying for it out of my own pocket for the last year or so and am losing my job imminently, its just an expense i can do without. if anyone might be interested in taking it off my hands please feel free to make me an offer , it has potential thats for sure , some great admins that are willing to stay on for a new owner and isnt in terrible condition .

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
:( sorry to hear Si, but needs must. Gutted.

Thanks for all your efforts keeping it going this long..you and all the mods recent and old.

lewis87

Advanced Member
Shame to hear this, the forum has been a very good resource in the short time I've had my DC5.

wocka

Advanced Member
Sorry to hear about your situation, I have read all this on the Facebook post too

I‘m sure we can all pull together to keep this forum alive, I would happily a yearly subscription to help fund any costs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Sorry to hear about your personal circumstances Simon. Life comes first at the end of the day. The forum has been a great resource for numerous people. As above, I'm happy to contribute to keep it going if needs be.

VtecPaul

Advanced Member
How or where can we store the useful information so it‘s not lost indefinitely? Facebook etc is all well and good but I‘ll be damned if I can find anything useful when I need it!!
I‘m sure we can do something to keep this alive..

Tricktyper

Advanced Member
Just to echo the above really, firstly thanks for running it up until now. It‘s easy to forget the costs and effort that goes into keeping these things going...

Also,that I would to be happy to pay a yearly subscription etc. I don‘t think Facebook will ever compare to the forum and what it‘s become, personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H_5hum

Advanced Member
Yeah I agree with the above. Quite a few people have messaged on the FB post including myself, but I am happy to also contribute to keeping the forum alive. After all, without the forum i dont think this community would have existed the same as the FB page.

Keep us updated on this, happy to pay via paypal if thats an option. Probably the easiest option imo? Altho i dont know the ins and outs of what goes on much behind the scenes so am unsure on paypal fees etc unless we send as gifts. 👍

kazmo

Advanced Member
sorry to see this message, such a shame that the facebook page will be the only DC5 gathering point, personally i think the fb page is awful, certainly not a knowledgeable or enjoyable experience, all we have to look forward to now is pointless comments, bitching and sarcasm.

20Drift

Members
Staff member
I'm happy to pitch in to keep this forum alive - can help out with hosting and the backend if necessary (work in IT and am a full stack developer :) )

daniel-cmyk

Sorry to hear man. I was not aware of this being paid out of someones pocket 'for fun'. Thank you for the past year! Everything will fall into place but I defiantly think we need to either do a small subscription service to keep it going as it saves many people, including myself.

Maybe a donation page where everyone can donate and gives the donator access to the website? This way it shows who is really in it for the community. Just my 2 pence.

I'm sure there's enough people here to help :)

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
In its current format this forum is not sustainable, its massively outdated which brings limitations on integrating new features.

The IPB platform we currently use costs money and the current hosting package is overkill for the amount of activity we now have on here thanks to Facebook killing it.

Ideally what needs to happen is a migration to a free forum like phpbb as this would reduce the overheads and also look into another host that can provide a decent server for a reduced monthly cost.

This will make some savings but is still going to come in at around £170 a year so needs to be funded.

The forum database is backed up offline so everything this community has built up over the years here will be retained and hopefully carry on for years to come in some kind of format that is sustainable.

daniel-cmyk

CaLi said:
In its current format this forum is not sustainable, its massively outdated which brings limitations on integrating new features.

The IPB platform we currently use costs money and the current hosting package is overkill for the amount of activity we now have on here thanks to Facebook killing it.

Ideally what needs to happen is a migration to a free forum like phpbb as this would reduce the overheads and also look into another host that can provide a decent server for a reduced monthly cost.

This will make some savings but is still going to come in at around £170 a year so needs to be funded.

The forum database is backed up offline so everything this community has built up over the years here will be retained and hopefully carry on for years to come in some kind of format that is sustainable.
If this is simply achievable, realistically forum members can EASILY cover the costs. Whether it being £10 from 17 people or whether more people just donate £5 each.

It's a small ask to keep everyones pride and joy well maintained etc!

Roughly how long is it until the switch over needs to be done?

I don't really know how I can help in this situation apart from give a little money....

20Drift

Members
Staff member
CaLi said:
Shout if you want a hand with this. I've run a couple of IPB and Xenforo forums off of VPS self-managed. Out of interest what are the monthly stats looking like on the forum per month?

ATC

Sorry to hear about the job - must be tough. There are plenty of things more important than keeping a forum running. I wish you luck finding something else soon.

Crazylegs said:
I'm happy to contribute a tenner if everyone else is?
I'd be up for this. Even a £10/20 subscription type thing a year to help keep this going. Sure Facebook exists, but it's just not the same as a forum, and more importantly the people that make the place tick. Then there's the wealth of knowledge already here in an easily searchable format. Facebook can't compete with that

The-Game

Sorry to hear about the personal issues and I think there are some great suggestions above to cover costs and possibly reduce them with a platform migration.

The main thing is retaining the knowledge that has been shared on these forums so far and keeping a good group of helpful people!