Insurance for those in their 30s

andrewv4

So my renewal is due at the end of the month and i have just been quoted £569.35, up £30 from last year. I'm 32, live in north london and have 12 years ncb, no accidents or convictions and have owned the car coming up to 6 years. I also have a full mugen header with sports cat and the twinloop exhaust, ARC induction box, rrc manifold and k100. Does this seem a bit steep?

MrRy

Advanced Member
It really is postcode dependant. I've basically got the same stats and car as you, I paid £289, £25 more than last year but I'm Derbyshire/Ashbourne way. A friend has an Oldham postcode and his premiums make my eyes water.

Mudgey

Advanced Member
What happened with Sainsbury's insurance in the end? When I was 26-27 it was in the region of £300 fully comp, the car was listed even though they said they don't insure imports? Did it turn out to be a database error or something?

carl hammond

Advanced Member
What happened with Sainsbury's insurance in the end? When I was 26-27 it was in the region of £300 fully comp, the car was listed even though they said they don't insure imports? Did it turn out to be a database error or something?
They changed underwriters and they no longer insure a car where there is a UK version made and wont insure any car with a Strat brace (from factory or after market), I put a bit post on here as I was 3/4's of the way through my policy and they changed it and so I had to complain which in turn got me my polict money back and free insurance for the remainder of the term.

I also raised the case of OEM strut bars on many vehicles (provided them with a list) as they agreed that their underwriters rules meant all these policies would be impacted so they were investigating it.

Long story short they don't insure imports unless a UK version is available and their new underwriters know nothing at all about cars and I would never use them again. They said strut bars add bhp (up to 10%).

Mudgey

Advanced Member
Blimey, that's ridiculous! Sounds like just a way of getting rid of all policy holders who modify their cars, perhaps they don't like the admin of dealing with a non standard car! If that's the case I don't know why these companies don't just say so without coming up with a lame excuse, they end up losing credibility...

Glad I've got a business policy now, it was an extra 1k for the personal car insurance element and I've got 4 cars on it so far :)

​Sorry OP, this doesn't help I know lol. Back on topic!

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Mudgey said:
Blimey, that's ridiculous! Sounds like just a way of getting rid of all policy holders who modify their cars, perhaps they don't like the admin of dealing with a non standard car! If that's the case I don't know why these companies don't just say so without coming up with a lame excuse, they end up losing credibility...

Glad I've got a business policy now, it was an extra 1k for the personal car insurance element and I've got 4 cars on it so far :)

​Sorry OP, this doesn't help I know lol. Back on topic!
Completely right, I think they used it as a copout saying no OEM strut bars etc as the list of cars I said who's policies would be impacted was very large lol. I was doing what I could to prove the point and keep the policy but when they said they'd refund me the policy and let it run out I was happy lol...

Snowbeard

seems steep to me fella.

33 here, 10 years NCB... WD7 postcode, so north london-ish. I pay £400 a year with greenlight on a modified policy with 3000 miles a year limit.

andrewv4

Unfortunately its the post code for north london which has bumped it up. I looked for a quote where my grand parents live in rugby which is a nice quiet country village and was quoted £406

RE Spirit

Parts Trader
My renewal was £540 this year, 9 years ncb, Milton Keynes postcode. Might ring around

antstarr

Quotes seem to be reasonable I live in North West London and tend to hit the 600 region and have more NCB than you. I'll give green light a try this year.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I‘m 38 Me19 postcode, 15yrs ncb and clean licence etc, £291 for me and the gf fully comp and all mods declared

JDM-DC5

Advanced Member
I'm 30, with greenlight and paid just over 500 for all mods declared 400bhp turbo dc5 with 3 points. I was happy with that. Sainsburys were going to renew my insurance if i was N/A for 310.