Insurance on JAP plates IRELAND

rotabeast

Hey guys,

The Teg is sitting at the port ready for collection tomorrow.
The insurance company I enquired with had quoted me for the car, but neglected to mention that they can't cover me while it's on Jap plates.
I've checked around a few other places and there's no go so far. After I get the plates, there shouldn't be an issue as the car will be in the system or something...

Question is - has anyone imported directly from Japan and been the 1st owner in Ireland, and if so, how did you go about getting it insured to get to VRT Inspection?

I've seen a few thread where others have had trouble with Insurance even though it's been registered - I'm one step back in that the car isn't registered in the country yet.

At the moment it looks like I'll have to get it towed, hoping someone who's been through this before has a better option!

Thanks in advance!

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
Usually importers will have traders insurance policies allowing them to drive any car, to get all the necessary tests done. I appreciate this isn't the case here but maybe look for someone in Ireland who has a traders policy and giving them a few beer tokens to drive the car to get the tests done?

gaza4

Advanced Member
you need to get it towed to the VRT inspection, no other way around it unfortunately

rotabeast

LiamGTR said:
Usually importers will have traders insurance policies allowing them to drive any car, to get all the necessary tests done. I appreciate this isn't the case here but maybe look for someone in Ireland who has a traders policy and giving them a few beer tokens to drive the car to get the tests done?
Cheers for that - I called my mechanic and he's insured to drive it! :)

The-Game

rotabeast said:
Cheers for that - I called my mechanic and he's insured to drive it! :)
Follow up question, who did you get the insurance quote with in the first place and are they charging you an arm and a leg? Im struggling to get a decent renewal price on my DC5 at the minute in Ireland!

rotabeast

Allianz, and I'm still with them. I shopped around last month trying to find someone else to insure me on it, but no joy. The premium went up around 250 euro this year over last as well. Nothing to do with the car, or me - just that whole Setanta shambles, and us having to pick up the slack as a result...

Give them a shout. It's down as an "i 16-V" or something like that, but that's the Type R anyway, I confirmed when I was getting it sorted last year. Mine's coming in at around 1350, so at least you have some benchmark to go on. Good luck with the book ;-)

Jvzr

Advanced Member
I went with campion insurance.
Got it in febuary so was cheap

ekchris139

Advanced Member
Im with munster group for mine 1400 fully comp.

Not looking forward to my renewal.

That's mad both campion and Allianz flat out refused me on a dc5

The-Game

Ended up trying just about every broker/company in Ireland and most couldnt give me anywhere near a decent quote. Ended up going with Allianz through a broker on a comp policy for €1340, cheers for the info lads!