Integra DC5 v Golf Mk4 R32

BUG4LIFE

Hi guys.

I've left a similar post on an R32 site, so I gotta get the opinions of ITR owners too!

I'm not ready to buy a new car yet [I'm aiming for next summer], but thought I'd do some research first? Reckon I'm gonna spend about £15k on a new ride next year and I've got my choices down to a DC5 or a Mk4 R32 [I would love an Evo VI or Scooby P1 but the running costs are just gonna be to high?]. I need help with the pros and cons of both cars; like, I think the ITR is a better looking car and is far far rarer than the Golf. Engine wise, I'll have to drive both I guess but I aint sure if I'll prefer the nuts VTEC or a big V6?

Reckon tuning potential will be a big decider too. I been reading on an R32 forum this morning and it seem the 237bhp Golf and easily be tuned to 270bhp with the help of a zorst and Revo stg2 map? Are there any tuners that offer packages for the ITR to boost performance [not that I'd be doing that for a while after I bought whatever car I decide on]?

Any help will be great :D

alg2500

GOLF = Common!! :lol:

Like most german cars you have to look hard to disguinish the difference between a normal one and a sport version.

The R32 is v.heavy for a hot hatch tbh, think there is about 200kg difference between the Integra and R32 so that is a big decider.

I think to get an Integra to 270bhp your looking at getting it supercharged - which is great but tbh any above 250bhp in a FF car isn't going to be ususable in everyday use.

However 250 is pretty achievable - with K-Pro ECU, Induction, Mani, Exhaust.

Never driven an R32 so can't comment on handling - however handling of a DC5 is second to none. So the 20bhp you lose on the integra over the R32 will be gained in the fact it's 200+kg lighter and a true track car (not a hot hatch trying to be one).

morgan

Advanced Member
"BUG4LIFE" would suggest subliminal VW influences at work... You should get the golf.

ejwillistyles

Advanced Member
Utterly different rides to be honest, just drive both and make a choice from there.

Once moving the DC5 is a quicker car with quicker responses by a fair margin (v high autobahn speeds the R32 will gain), but the R32 is a seriously good car in other ways that you will only find out by driving it, like secondary ride, comfort, stability etc etc.....

....but the Golf is too heavy. I speak from experience owning both cars ( - a mk5 rather than a mk4 R32).

Hope that helps

BUG4LIFE

Well spotted morgan - my current car is a Mk2 16v GTi and I've had a 1.8T New Beetle.

I am leaning towards the ITR, as all my cars have been German [3 Vdubs and 1 BMW] and I fancy a change...plus I do love the Jap car scene. An extra 30bhp in an ITR has to feel pretty brisk right, anyone got these mods done [as suggested by alg2500], so I can have a read etc?

DC5TU

Advanced Member
YAWN

so so bored of these Vs threads (although there hasnt been one for a while)

What do you really expect people to say on an integra forum??

Go out, test drive both cars, as much as you can, weigh up your own pros and cons that YOU like about each car and make your OWN decision

If everybody took everybody elses advice there would be no origionality left in the world and it would be very boring!

Sorry if this sounds like a rant

BUG4LIFE

Yeah it was a bit of a rant :lol:

Always good to get other peoples opinions and experiences though innit bud, that way I can learn everything about each car before I buy. Yeah I know the final decision will come down to me when I test drive them both, but that's what clubs and forums are for - to tap into the knowledge of others :wink:

BUG4LIFE

I do like the Clio V6 - mainly cos it's as nuts as a hatch can get! Though I reckon I will need back seats at some point, so the Clio is a no...I think :D

Hope4sun

I've got to say, dive them both and let the bum dyno decide to be honest, the VW is good all round car, well built reliable and can be fun with a few tweaks, but a change is good for the blood (i use to be into VW many years ago) and Jap is the way to go IMHO for a good change.

Just my 2 pence worth. (of course you could buy a really really tidy R32 for the sort of money your looking at spending, but the running costs would make the Evo and the Scoob seem small, i'm referring to an R32 GTR Skyline by the way :wink:)

G4Z

Reckon tuning potential will be a big decider too. I been reading on an R32 forum this morning and it seem the 237bhp Golf and easily be tuned to 270bhp with the help of a zorst and Revo stg2 map? Are there any tuners that offer packages for the ITR to boost performance [not that I'd be doing that for a while after I bought whatever car I decide on]?
I wouldn't say its easily tuned to 270 mate. My firend had a Mk4 r32 and he spent over £2000 at AMD(you don't get many better places) on the stage 3 conversion(remap,cams,exhaust,sport cat) His produces 272 bhp and being 4x4 you lose alot through transmission losses.

We did a track day at donnington together and on the straight his R32 was no quicker than my 180ish bhp DC2 itr :eek: A standard DC5 will pull on me and a slightly modded one will walk all over me 8)

Hes now brought the mk5 r32 8) Its so much better to drive on the roads, so much composure through bends. The old one jumped about and was pathetic imo. Heavy cars too, 300+kg heavier :shock: and they drive like it.

Try them both and you will know straight away which one is for you. Completely different cars. But if you prefer the R32 i suggest you drive some other cars similar to them. 15k hmmm, Focus ST,new GTI,350Z 8) All 3 have lots of grunt and do all the other stuff better than the MK4 R32 in my opinion :)

CHALKIE

Proud to be C/W.
tron2k3 said:
I'd go for the 350z 8) DC5's are common now :lol:
Agreed.

If u buy a DC5 you will make em even more common, Go buy your VEE-DUBS,

Unless u wanna be part of our clan> & can survive the initiation process :xMoon: .

Trust me it aint pretty

Andywilkinson

Advanced Member
You really are going to get biased opinons on an ITR site, just like you will get biased opinions on the VW site, but saying that i'd love to see what they say. they would definately say that the VW is better and far superior. Just like we do about the DC5 :D :lol:

typertillidie

DC5 all day for me :p

I must admit they spent a lot of time on the R32 in the handling department and when i drove my cousins i was surprised how good the handling was :eek:

Totally diffrent then a Golf GTI TURBO which lets say only word i can desribe handles like a banana :wink: :wink:

In all honesty the R32 GOLF did not seem that quick after owning a 4motion it didn.t feel any quicker???

Plenty of torque though and well refined but just does not have that integra edge and looks and feel and most of all that grin factor :lol:

Which to be honest is what i really want from a sports car Golf r32 mk4 now looking boring and after a month will feel the same boring when driving :?

morgan

Advanced Member
I reckon its been a balanced result considering...
At least 2 recommendations of 'No dont buy a DC5'.

The 350z was an interesting one. Not pretty, but a good hairy-arsed muscle car.

Overall though, My money is that you go for the Golf. Be sure to let us know ! !

:)

garylythgoe

The R32 has one thing any jap chav mobile will never have.. Class!

Like has been said, depends what you want out of a car :wink:

Drive drive drive, and tell us what they are all like to you 8)

typertillidie

garylythgoe said:
The R32 has one thing any jap chav mobile will never have.. Class!

Like has been said, depends what you want out of a car :wink:

Drive drive drive, and tell us what they are all like to you 8)
Class build quality i must admit :)