internet problem

hussain124

Advanced Member
hello

i am having a problem with my internet, some web sites are not working on my computer e.g [url=http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/">http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/ ,

civic17_99

Advanced Member
Are you running Vista or XP? You could try reseting the internet explorer settings.

Do this by opening Internet Explorer clicking the tools button at the top, then click internet options. Click the Advanced tab Then down the bottom of the page there should be a reset button and a reset advanced settings button. Try that see if it cures it. It has for me in the past.

:)

hussain124

Advanced Member
i have got xp and yes i have reset the internet settings but with no success . any other ideas? :cry: thanks for the help though civic17_99

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
start>>>>run>>>ping civictype-r.co.uk and then post the results. If it is all fine the run tracert civictype-r.co.uk from the command prompt and post the results.

It's most likely a DNS issue so you could try doing the following commands:

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /renew

All from the command promts.

Let me know how you get one.

hussain124

Advanced Member
i have done start>>>>run>>>ping civictype-r.co.uk

comes up with the following message and then the window dissappears

pingng civictype-r.co.uk [212.241.196.113] with 32 bytes of date:

requested timed out.
requested timed out.
requested timed out.

-

i have then gone on all programs >>>accessories>>>command prompt and then typed pingng civictype-r.co.uk

pingng civictype-r.co.uk [212.241.196.113] with 32 bytes of date:

requested timed out.
requested timed out.
requested timed out.
requested timed out.

pingng statistics for 212.241.196.113:
packets: sent = 4, received = 0, lost = 4 ,

HAVENT GOT A CLUE WHAT ALL OF THE ABOVE MEANS

jimmy_atr

Advanced Member
Have you tried the ipconfig /flushdns command chris suggested?

Start - Run - "cmd" - "ipconfig /flushdns"

civic17_99

Advanced Member
The website might possibly be having issues if the commands above dont fix it because i had trouble with the site doing the same thing the other day. Then after a while it was alright again. :?

Croccy

Show Co-ordinator
Does seem like a strange problem but a couple of things.

Firstly the civictype-r.co.uk website has ICMP turned off so that is why you are getting request time outs whilst trying to ping it.

When you ping the website you are getting the correct ip address back so that rules out any DNS issues as all DNS does is get the IP address by querying the Domain Name.

So next question, is your pc on the same network as your sisters? How do you connect to the net? e.g wireless router. Have you tried restarting the router as it may have a bad routing table cached on it.

Matt.

Croccy

Show Co-ordinator
If you still have no luck with the above you could try one other thing.

From the command line on your pc run: tracert www.civictype-r.co.uk

Grab the output and post it here. Also run the same command on your sisters pc.

This should show us where along the route the problem is.

Note: you will get timeouts at the end of the traceroute as ICMP is blocked on their server but if you press CTRL+C it will stop it from running.

Matt.

hussain124

Advanced Member
internet seems to have sorted it self out without me doing any thing ? which is a bit odd?

thanks for help every one ,been very helpfull

Croccy

Show Co-ordinator
It sounds almost certainly like it was a problem with the ARP cache on the router.

When you talk to a website or another computer etc, routers remember your computer so the next time you connect it doesn't have to do as much work.

It sounds like something had changed on your pc (IP address or something been pdated) and the router had not updated the connection. ARP cache has a Life and will only remain for a set period of time, I guess this had run it's time and thats why it has now started working again.

If it happens again just try resetting the router. There are also commands you can run on your pc to clear down your local ARP table.

Anyway glad it's workng for you now :p

Matt.