Ipad2 or ?

The Lum

Advanced Member
So was giving a little thought to getting an Ipad2 for travelling about and web surfing in the house rather than the laptop.

Any thoughts on it or its competition?

oregato

Advanced Member
Have an iPad first gen here, great piece of kit and does me for what I need it for.

Thing about these tablets is, when you get them, I don't think you really know why you get them, but you will always find a way to utilise it or incorporate it into your daily routine.

For me, it's completely replaced my netbook I use for surfing the net. I can ly in bed with it in a comfy position and respond to mails etc.

The fact that it's instant is great as well, not like a laptop where you have to boot windows, leave the iPad on standby, and when you need it instant access.

As for travelling with it, its brilliant, I travel over to the UK now and again for work and it's great for the plane etc. Battery life is amazing and much better than bringing a laptop/netbook around with you.

As for the whole thing regarding iPad Vs. Android - have a play with a few different ones before you decide, don't purchase cheap chinese crap, you will regret it, I know a girl who purchased an Android tablet off ebay and it lasted two days before the touch screen started acting up. As for build quality, it was a horrendous plastic feeling, which felt like if you were to drop it, it would break/crack.

I've an Android phone and it's a great operating system, much better if you're a bit of a geek like me as it's not restricted in the way the Apple's are.

viggen

Advanced Member
the archos 101 has a battery span of 10 hours straight streaming video.or 3 and a half days listening to music with the sreen off.and best of all,genral use you will get 24hours out of it before recharge,plus it has usb ports unlike ipad.and if you try hard enough you can even get google market place on it.and add extra memory,im thinking of buying one.but i realy need windows.unlesss i can get all my work stuff to work with andriod

oregato

Advanced Member
viggen said:
the archos 101 has a battery span of 10 hours straight streaming video.or 3 and a half days listening to music with the sreen off.and best of all,genral use you will get 24hours out of it before recharge,plus it has usb ports unlike ipad.and if you try hard enough you can even get google market place on it.and add extra memory,im thinking of buying one.but i realy need windows.unlesss i can get all my work stuff to work with andriod
There are different apps out there that will allow you to connect your device to a windows PC using rdc or vnc.

I use splash top on the iPad

Great app

VT-Doo

RushDoo
I'm looking to replace my worn out laptop just now too. Unless I can install KManager then I'm not interested.

Am I right in saying the iPad is just a big iPod Touch? I have an iPhone so just can't see the point in the iPad.

The Lum

Advanced Member
Aye Ian it's more or less a big IPod touch. I've got an iphone4 and realise it's very much the same. Reason I want iPad is that I don't use my laptop for much more than web browsing and watching the odd movie both of which iPad does.

eXceed

Resident Driver
The Lum said:
Aye Ian it's more or less a big IPod touch. I've got an iphone4 and realise it's very much the same. Reason I want iPad is that I don't use my laptop for much more than web browsing and watching the odd movie both of which iPad does.
Pure stupidity, I just don't get it. You can get a laptop that provides infinitely more freedom and does both of the things above for in some cases even less than the ipad cost...
I can see some of the appeal, but personally I'd prefer to get the equivalent android versions (which are usually a lot more capable/powerful/customisable)

G Man

Advanced Member
Lum check out the HTC Flyer, its meant to be good.

The only thing I ever found useful on an iPad was Angry Birds HD lol

As already said though, you can get an excellent laptop which does everything and more for half the price.

I'm not a fan of Apple products but I had a shot of a Mac Book Air and I must say you notice the effort and thought that has been put into the design - shame about the ugly operating system.

The Lum

Advanced Member
I understand what you guys are saying about the laptop stuff. The thing though I think I prefer with an iPad (or equivalent) is just how portable it is. Would find it much easier on a train or watching movies in bed etc than on a laptop. Even in the house to be fair I think it would be easier as I use my iPhone for web browsing more than the laptop due to it burning the hell out my legs after 30mins sat on the couch.

VT-Doo

RushDoo
In my post above I mentioned I'm looking for a laptop. Not so much, it's a netbook I'm getting, the Toshiba NB520.
For me that's plenty portable.

The Lum

Advanced Member
That looks pretty handy as well.

Currently the Archos 101 is winning it as it does more things I could find a use for and it's cheaper than an IPad.

larz

Advanced Member
getting my ipad2 on Friday.. can't WAIT... sold my ipad 4 weeks ago and my god do i miss it...

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
We have just bought the Motorola Xoom. Fiancee after a tablet for a while now and I have been looking at a few - Archos, IPad etc.

Got to say its an excellent bit of kit.

Using the new Android 3.0 Honeycomb OS with the Android market, Better quality video, 10.1 HD widescreen, camera's. Very user friendly (she's not the best with Tech)

Mini HDMI and USB out socket as well as acting like a HDD when connected via usb to a computer so file transfer is simple.

32Gb Storage and can sustain 10 hour playback for vid's, 3.3 days for music and also Email, Bluetooth and much more.

Definetely worth considering if your loking at spending IPad 2 money