Is DC5 R always noisy? and other weird sound....

detasemen88

Guys... got 02 DC5R... i was wondering if all Type R engine make more noise ? (my CRV is quieter for sure, same year).
It is best described as 'raspy' engine note, with light 'ticking' sound. my mods include Intake-Race HEader-Tanabe Exhaust, as well as HKS Air Intake filter.

Also when accelerating it sort of making light 'whining/whistling' sound, kinda cool actually....

is it normal? or am i just getting paranoid?

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
ticking could be injectors or valve clearence (have you had it checked recently?)
raspy sound could be intake /exhaust (the exhaust will change sound as the car gets older ) esp with a race header (very common with the Spoon), i would not worry at all, its not a quiet car .

your CRV will also have tons of sound deadening which the DC5 doesn't have.

detasemen88

C&S Evo7 said:
ticking could be injectors or valve clearence (have you had it checked recently?)
raspy sound could be intake /exhaust (the exhaust will change sound as the car gets older ) esp with a race header (very common with the Spoon), i would not worry at all, its not a quiet car .

your CRV will also have tons of sound deadening which the DC5 doesn't have.
oh thanks mate!! glad to hear that..... so i guess it is indeed a noisy car ;)

Gaz DC5

Advanced Member
My spoon manifold makes a raspy ticky sound, the car didn't make that noise before i had it fitted so it could be your header

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I found this old thread so thought I'd post this in here in case anyone is interested.

As with most K20's, they're quite noisy blocks even when warm. I've noticed since I bought mine that it's making a rattle which sounds like it's coming from the head or that area. It's always done this and I was thinking that perhaps it's the VTC gear maybe?

Anyway I changed the oil last year for some top quality Gulf Competition Ester based oil, really good stuff but the engine is still noisy. I've been topping up with Castrol Magnatec from Asda 5w-40 but it's been getting expensive at nearly £15 for a litre bottle, so I decided to spend a bit more and get a decent 5 litre bottle to keep the car topped up.

I bought some of this stuff about a month ago, Motul Sport Ester Synthetic and I must be honest, my engine has gone a hell of a lot quieter since I've been topping up with this; quite shocked actually.

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-81849-motul-sport-5w-40-ester-synthetic-car-engine-oil.aspx

Anyway it may be worth giving it a try if anyone has a noisy engine, I'm certainly going to be using it as my main oil going forward.

JordM31

I got also bit worried when when I heard a 'rasp' noise at certain revs.
But it just turned out to be the plastic 'i-vtec' cover that sits on the intake manifold vibrating in resonance.

Mike9000

Advanced Member
As per someone many, many years ago on the DC2 forum "you can hear all of the oily bits" :xyes:

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Mike9000 said:
As per someone many, many years ago on the DC2 forum "you can hear all of the oily bits" :xyes:
Exactly this, there is near on no sound deadening, everything is made thinner to bring the weight down (like on a DC2) so expect to hear a lot of things you'd never hear on another car, knocks, bangs, rattles etc, all a part of the fun of ownership. As long as it's not broken just keep driving and enjoy :)

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Mine definitely doesn't sound heatshield related mate. It's quietened down a lot since I've dropped some Motul in there.