Japanese Auction Grading Explained

lewissheridan

Hi,

Here's some useful information i'd like to contribute regarding Japanese Auction Grading, this is mainly for people who are looking at purchasing a DC5 (like myself) Apologies if this has been produced before, i had done a search of the forum but couldn't find any information regarding it.

I'm currently researching my purchase of a DC5, Champ White '01 model with c-spec. I've pretty much decided i'm going to purchase either from linney.org (gt-culture.com)or lichfieldimports.co.uk due to their reputation. (peace of mind). The only doubts in my mind is the quality of the import, looks like i'll be going for Auction grading 4 or above ;) My budget is 15k max, but i hope to pick one up for 13.5k region.

Great forum btw :0)

Here is the original URL http://www.hatchback.co.nz/Auction Grading.htm (presented in a nicer tabular format :D)

Auction Grading Explained

There are many auction houses across Japan with the main ones being USS, JU, Toyota Auto Auction, Honda Auto Auction, Nissan Auto Auction, CAA, JAA, HAA & AAAI.

Vehicles presented for sale at auction houses are given a grade to describe their general condition. The auction houses have inspectors that inspect the vehicles and grade them based on its condition and faults (if any). Although each auction house may have its own variations they all follow similar grading guidelines. The condition of the interior and exterior are both graded. The following is a basic outline of the grades and what they mean

Exterior Grade / Description

5 A vehicle in as new condition, no marks and usually reserved for cars 12 months or newer.

An excellent condition used vehicle usually with no marks or a small scratch or dent not easily noticed.

A vehicle in good overall condition with some minor scratches or dents.

An average condition vehicle with usually more than 2 panels requiring repairing. Generally about $500 - $700 to spend on reconditioning.

A vehicle in poor / rough overall condition. Many blemishes, dents and scratches. Generally about $700 - $1200 required to spend on reconditioning.

2 & 1
Vehicles in very bad condition, usually included flood damaged and rusty cars.

0, RA, A, R
Vehicles that have had previous accidents. This includes un-repaired vehicles and accident repaired vehicles. The accident repaired cars have typically had some structural reapairs and panels replaced.

Interior Grade / Description

A
Immaculate, excellent condition

B
Good condition

C
Average condition

D Below average, poor

Kind Regards,

Lewis

truffs

xthumbup nice one mate that should help alot of new people here. Welcome to the site and i hope you enjoy both the car and the forum :wink:

kingston

Advanced Member
Stick it in the FAQ section?

For 15k, id imagine youd get a newer car than a 01 model

Suped

Advanced Member
cheers to Ben at GT-Culture for getting me a silver DC5 at Grade 5 condition!! its mint!!! I'd recommend GT-C and go for them for another as the service you get it tops. He shows genuine interest in the cars that not much others would do as much as Ben and his team. Thumbs up from me. :lol:

T666YPR

For a first post,that is tops xthumbup

Welcome aboard Lewis and may the information supplied help many others 8)

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
Thanks for writing that up Lewis, that will avoid some common questions.

I will edit the post later on, to remove some of the info, ref your budget.

Thanks very much and welcome

Mike

webbie

Advanced Member
15 k spent on my dc5 when I get it

for 15k I wouldnt want any dents or scratches on at all for that sort of cash

has any one been to keithley trade centre in yorkshire lol

dan the man

Advanced Member
not been and not going too..DODGY GITS.

ive rang and tossers cant even be polite..my mate have been and all got treated like shit...

i think its a front fot something..cough..lsd cough e cough crack..cough

dan :|

truffs

dan the man said:

ive rang and tossers cant even be polite..my mate have been and all got treated like sh*t...

tell us more mate :lol: :lol: 8) 8)

T666YPR

truffs said:
dan the man said:

ive rang and tossers cant even be polite..my mate have been and all got treated like sh*t...

tell us more mate :lol: :lol: 8) 8)
Always on the job!!

"Evenin' awll!!" :lol:

type-r-dunk

Advanced Member
lewissheridan said:
Exterior Grade / Description

5 A vehicle in as new condition, no marks and usually reserved for cars 12 months or newer.

An excellent condition used vehicle usually with no marks or a small scratch or dent not easily noticed.

A vehicle in good overall condition with some minor scratches or dents.

An average condition vehicle with usually more than 2 panels requiring repairing. Generally about $500 - $700 to spend on reconditioning.

A vehicle in poor / rough overall condition. Many blemishes, dents and scratches. Generally about $700 - $1200 required to spend on reconditioning.

2 & 1
Vehicles in very bad condition, usually included flood damaged and rusty cars.

0, RA, A, R
Vehicles that have had previous accidents. This includes un-repaired vehicles and accident repaired vehicles. The accident repaired cars have typically had some structural reapairs and panels replaced.
Hi Just to add you get grades.

KAY
Modified of usually very heavly modded.

4(eg) followed by A or R
Very small accident repair. OR 4A is same as 4.5.

45P
Out of 100%, 1% being small. shows auction grade as % of damage thats been repaired.

Sold as a damaged vehicle.

Can also mean modded with body kit etc, can be an ok car it just un-graded.

B
Very BIG accident repair, poss re-shell.

So good luck to anyone wanting to import themselves. To be honest its just a bit of a gamble. Generally a Jap grade 3.5 would be like the average 3 year old car here.

If anyone want any help of advise importing just pm me.

Thanks Dunx

Newera

Just a few words of warning. Auction grade is just a number - Don't be fooled into thinking that any grade 4 car is going to be OK.... It ain't necessarily so.

Cars need to be carefully inspected by knowledgeable people who know the faults each type of car may be likely to have and how to look for them.

I have seen many horrible grade 4 cars, as well as many grade 1 beautifully modified cars. I've seen accident cars graded as 4's too.

Be sure of your source.

200BHPCARS

Cars Trader
Hi guys - New to the forum so Hello to everyone....

what do you think of this DC5 i have coming in from Japan in November -

Seen it at auction and paid about £1000 more for it than a standard car but well worth it i would say, it just looks so sexy for a DC5.

Not sure what make the body kit is, but it looks like a Vielside Rear spoiler.

The Wheels are 19" OAD on Tien coilovers.

What do you guys think?

Also, talking of Grade Sheets - As it has been mentioned, you cant just trust a grade 4 to be perfect as sometimes its a deciving way of Grading the car.

This particular car for Example is a Grade 4, but other times at auction it may have been classed as a 1 (moddified)

You just cant tell - some times in the past i have been really disapointed with the number of scratches and dents on grade 4 cars we have purchased. On other examples, not with Dc5's but i remember this Big People carrier Van was a Grade 3. On the grade sheet though it was almost perfect, and in real life it was even better. Litterallly a flawless body - so sometimes the auctioneers get it wrong.

Best bet is to study and examine the grade sheet using the translation already provided on this thread then trust the judgement of a good Jap Agent in Japan to choose for you - or use an import company in the UK and demand to see the auction grade sheet as proof of condition.

Hope this helps

P.s - Also looking forward to chatting on here again, As i said im brand new having been meaning to join one of these forum for Ages - and finnaly done it.

By the way, If you have to pay a subscription to become a FULL member - how do you do it?

Cant seem to see any instructions at the top of the page?

Any help on that 1?

Cheers

andy
200bhpcars

200BHPCARS

Cars Trader
LOL - Cheers Wardy!!!

I did advertise it to Sell as part of our stock but i cant help but want to keep it when it arrives!!

P.s - there right about the ESVA - We have another Integra Type R in standard Condition to borrow the bits from.

I feel a bit sorry for our mechanic thou!!

Alot of Work to get in thru - but i cant help but disagree with a few of the guys on the other Thread - I love the look of the car.

dont get me wrong, i love the Standard ones also but its nice to see a Modifed Dc5 that doesnt just consist of a Carbon Fibre Bonnet.

Cheers for the Update, i will get on to the other thread and take a bit of stick!![/b]