JDM Aerials (ETC & GPS) - What are these?!

daniel-cmyk

Hi guys,

So when my DC5 got imported, it had a toll card reader and a couple extra bits like the wire aerials on the windscreen.

I got the toll card reader and head unit removed and replaced with a new one along with an alarm system. I asked the guys who did it to remove 'everything' that I didn't need, but they have left two things behind!

When I asked why, they said it's because they didn't know if they were live and didn't want to cut the wires. Sounds lazy to me but by all means, they installed everything else perfectly and cleanly.

Anyway, please see below the images of the two 'aerials' or whatever they are. I'm presuming they were connected to either the JDM headunit or the toll card reader.

If anyone could advise me:

1) What they exactly are?
2) Will they be live and could I just cut, pull the wires out and remove?

They're really just bugging me now as I know they're useless to me.

Any other help would be great as I'm a complete novice with electrics!

Many thanks,

Daniel

ian85

Check to see if you have any boxes hidden under your seats.
I had the same issue...loads of antenna and boxes dotted around the car. Some went to the head unit, and some went to a box under the drivers seat. Some bits were just bodged into the harness off the head unit, and I just cut them out. Ripped out all the boxes.

Here‘s a pic of all the crud that came out of mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daniel-cmyk

ian85 said:
Check to see if you have any boxes hidden under your seats.
I had the same issue...loads of antenna and boxes dotted around the car. Some went to the head unit, and some went to a box under the drivers seat. Some bits were just bodged into the harness off the head unit, and I just cut them out. Ripped out all the boxes.

Here‘s a pic of all the crud that came out of mine

Haha woah, I‘m guessing that‘s what‘s possibly behind mine, although they did remove the old JDM harness etc and said everything was good back there.

There defiantly isn‘t anything under my seat as I took them out and cleaned under there a week ago!

I really feel like just chopping them off! They seem like they‘ve been plugged into something but what they could be plugged into, has been removed. They must be good to just be chopped?

Hmmmmmmmm.....

ian85

Check around the fuse box area, under the steering wheel, and behind the bonnet release. I also had what was left of an old aftermarket alarm, and the cables where just stuffed behind under the steering wheel.

Did the car come with any alarm system, or strange key fobs?

daniel-cmyk

ian85 said:
Check around the fuse box area, under the steering wheel, and behind the bonnet release. I also had what was left of an old aftermarket alarm, and the cables where just stuffed behind under the steering wheel.

Did the car come with any alarm system, or strange key fobs?

Nope. Literally bone stock. Even came with a newly installed Genuine Honda Battery - the Japanese owner kept it so original 😂

I took it to get it‘s alarm done two weeks ago, along with the pioneer head unit. Literally, the only modification it had coming into the UK was the Toll card reader and JDM headunit/satnav, with the added aerials things.