JDM K20A EP3 BOTTOM END BUILD / HELP ?!

Mbk786

Advanced Member
Hey everyone,

As most of you know i sold my DC5,

Now i got a JDM EP3 K20A, Bottom end started knocking few days ago at around 2-3k, so taking the bottom end off to see where the damage is...

Hoping its just the big end shells,

So far we have taken off the subframe, sump, will be removing the oil pump today.

Does anyone know the big end journal oil clearance ? What should the tolerance be for the clearance ?

Also when i change the big end shells do i change the nuts/bolts... Any help or advice would be great.

Found some metal shavings in the sump too, pictures are below.

I know UK EP3 and DC5 are different but now sure if this will be same as UK EP3 or DC5 as its a JDM K20A.

Any help from anyone who has done this would be great...

I will keep you lot posted of what happens next.

Mbk786

Advanced Member
Also what size plastigauge do i need ? If i knew what tolerance was i could get the right plaster gauge

R-39294

My biggest concern are the metal shavings in the sump as you already said.

Do you have magnetic bolts in your sump?

Everything you found it's the same,

Both K20A2 or K20A wearing the same rod bearings.

Be sure for tighting the rod bolds right

Find the correct colors and install them.

Mbk786

Advanced Member
So got the bearings off...

This is the 1st one you can see its worn

Heres a picture of Number 4:

This is number 2:

And these are number 3:

Mbk786

Advanced Member
R-39294 said:
Miles of the engine?
How the crankshaft looks?
Post a photo from your crankshaft too mate!
its got 100k which is mix of KM and Miles.

ill get a photo of the crankshaft, crankshaft looks alright.

do you have any idea how to pull of the oil pump ?

R-39294

Run a magnet over those metal flakes - pieces.
If they stick you might have something in the bottom end that is wearing.
If they are Aluminum I would look at your head

beppe786

Beppe
R-39294 said:
Run a magnet over those metal flakes - pieces.
If they stick you might have something in the bottom end that is wearing.
If they are Aluminum I would look at your head
thanks for your help.. much appreciated

Rom

Advanced Member
Those arent what id class as filings, nothing id expect from shells gone.
They are pretty big! More like something has broken, than worn filings.

Looks like number 1 Cap is damaged from the pic, assuming bearing is not in it, which it doesnt look like it is.

Based on that cap picture, id say the crank will need at least polishing, if not regrinding.

As an idea, heres some pics i had to hand. First is a Scirocco R engine, shells possibly the worst ive seen, and the bits in the oil were not as big as yours. There were a few bigger bits of shell that came loose as i removed them. One can be seen on number 2 cap that i put there for picture. But overall, it was glittery oil full of filings. Rather than a load of debris.

Next is a DSG gearbox, a circlip has failed and broken up (the 2 larger bits) the rest is filings, representative of common filings you find in oil for jobs like these.

At the very least, id get the strainer and pump out for inspection.
What was the oil like ? Glittery ?

From the pictures, that is not shells you have sat in the sump. You need to find what has broken up.
If it were mine, id be stripping the engine for inspection. Thats a lot of debris, the only saving grace may be that its so big, a lot hasnt made it up top.

Mbk786

Advanced Member
Rom said:
Those arent what id class as filings, nothing id expect from shells gone.
They are pretty big! More like something has broken, than worn filings.

Looks like number 1 Cap is damaged from the pic, assuming bearing is not in it, which it doesnt look like it is.

Based on that cap picture, id say the crank will need at least polishing, if not regrinding.

As an idea, heres some pics i had to hand. First is a Scirocco R engine, shells possibly the worst ive seen, and the bits in the oil were not as big as yours. There were a few bigger bits of shell that came loose as i removed them. One can be seen on number 2 cap that i put there for picture. But overall, it was glittery oil full of filings. Rather than a load of debris.

Next is a DSG gearbox, a circlip has failed and broken up (the 2 larger bits) the rest is filings, representative of common filings you find in oil for jobs like these.

At the very least, id get the strainer and pump out for inspection.
What was the oil like ? Glittery ?

From the pictures, that is not shells you have sat in the sump. You need to find what has broken up.
If it were mine, id be stripping the engine for inspection. Thats a lot of debris, the only saving grace may be that its so big, a lot hasnt made it up top.
Thanks for the reply mate,

the the stuff sat in my sump isn't that big, it only looks really big in that zoomed picture they are around 0.5mm.

When we where turning the engine we could hear that the big end bearings were really loose, and the 1st one had totally spun out.

What do you think they stuff in my sump could be from ? could it be something old or maybe the little bearings ?

Trying to figure out what is bronze.

thanks

Rom

Advanced Member
The bearings can have that sort of colour, as you can see in one of your pics.
But yours arent missing enough material to account for that much debris.

I dont think the crank will take another shell, on number 1 at least. So if the crank comes out, you may as well strip the lot.

Im trying to think what it could be. Its a lot of material. Shells normally wear away, like filed down. That looks like somethings been chewed up, unless the picture is deceiving.

beppe786

Beppe
the shavings are not magnetized seem aluminum... ran a magnet over them doesn't pick them up

im thinking that the sump plug was heli coiled to a larger size maybe bits of them were left in the sump.

Mbk786

Advanced Member
Took a closer look at the debris, they are really tiny and thing, the picture is really deceiving.

heres another picture of underneath.