Juddering Problem - Sorted :)

oregato

Advanced Member
Hey guys, just looking for some information.

When driving the car today, I've noticed that if, say I'm at 40/50 kmph, and I put it into third or fourth gear and put my foot down a little, the car/engine seems to hesitate or 'bounce' or shake a bit, theres no noise at all, but the engine seems to be shaking a bit? I have a torque damper on it, but it wasn't happening before, just noticed it today. The shaking/bounce happens for maybe a second and then pulls right on hard all the way up to vtec.

Its more of a judder I think, but not sure. The car drives perfectly!

Is it in my head or could it be the engine\gearbox mounts?

Any tips or advice would be great

Dc5Dub07

Advanced Member
Re: Worn Engine/Gearbox Mounts?

Take it over to the Tuning Factory and have them check it out, could be front engine mount..

oregato

Advanced Member

Yeah, I'm thinking its the mounts, I'll probably get my own mechanic to do the work, is there anything else it could be? Like, it drives and pulls fine, just when you shift up, it is maybe a bit jerky for a second or two.

Any ideas? Also, if I were to uprate the mounts, which ones should I go for?

Any help or tips would be great.

VT-Doo

RushDoo

Try pulling away in 1st gear raising the clutch very slowly. Doing this will cause the engine to judder if the engine mounts are away. You could always try rocking the engine yourself.

Fronts will more than likely go first.

oregato

Advanced Member

VT-Doo said:
Try pulling away in 1st gear raising the clutch very slowly. Doing this will cause the engine to judder if the engine mounts are away. You could always try rocking the engine yourself.

Fronts will more than likely go first.
Have done this with a friend of mine yesterday, he got in the car, pulled up the handbrake and put his foot on the brake, into first gear and let the clutch out, we could see a lot of movement on the engine/gearbox, seemed to be more the gearbox than the engine like. What exactly should we be looking for?

VT-Doo

RushDoo

The rubber in the mount will be spit, might seem like hairline cracks in the rubber.
Support the engine with a jack. Remove suspected engine mount to see if it's needing replaced. You'll know by looking at it. If you're unsure post a picture up.
If you're not confident enough doing this try to make good quality close up pictures of the mounts and I'll have a look.

If the gearbox mount seems to be moving the most try and move the box with your hands.

oregato

Advanced Member

VT-Doo said:
The rubber in the mount will be spit, might seem like hairline cracks in the rubber.
Support the engine with a jack. Remove suspected engine mount to see if it's needing replaced. You'll know by looking at it. If you're unsure post a picture up.
If you're not confident enough doing this try to make good quality close up pictures of the mounts and I'll have a look.

If the gearbox mount seems to be moving the most try and move the box with your hands.
Thanks mate, but not sure if I'll get a chance to remove it. Is there anything else it could be? there is a torque damper as well, could this be causing it? I doubt it myself tbh.

Any other things that could cause this?

VT-Doo

RushDoo

I've never used a torque-damper so all I could say is try removing it to eliminate it.

donkeykong

Advanced Member

check if the damper is tight, mine was loose last time and it felt stuttering

oregato

Advanced Member

Right, mechanic has looked at it today and says the car is fine?!?!

He checked over the engine mounts and they're alright, no problems to report and he says its driving fine.

I'm not sure what it could be now, maybe in my head? but not sure..

Anyone any other ideas what to check.

Engine pulls strong, but say going from third to fourth, its just a bit bumpy (like your foot hits the accerator, then with the push in the back you get, your foot gets pushed off the accelerator and then back down again on it straght away so the car seems to be a bit jerky.. ) does that make sense?

Any ideas appreciated!?!?! thanks.

donkeykong

Advanced Member

i have that too, what spark plugs do u use??? i only have it in 1st gear

VT-Doo

RushDoo

What's the mileage on your car and what/when have parts in your ignition system been changed??

oregato

Advanced Member

VT-Doo said:
What's the mileage on your car and what/when have parts in your ignition system been changed??
Car has around 130k kilometres and only has a gruppe M and a Tegiwa engine damper

VT-Doo

RushDoo

OK, have you ever replaced your Spark Plugs.
Take them out and check the condition of them.
Does it feel like a misfire at all?

oregato

Advanced Member

VT-Doo said:
OK, have you ever replaced your Spark Plugs.
Take them out and check the condition of them.
Does it feel like a misfire at all?
Mechanic had the car out for a spin yesterday and didn't report any signs of a misfire, I've had the plugs changed around 4,000 kmls ago.

I'll check and see what they're like.

What are the signs of a misfire?

VT-Doo

RushDoo

Cough, splutter, hesitation, loss of power for a brief moment.

To be honest I'm stumped. It's hard to say without actually seeing/driving the car.

oregato

Advanced Member

VT-Doo said:
Cough, splutter, hesitation, loss of power for a brief moment.

To be honest I'm stumped. It's hard to say without actually seeing/driving the car.
Not really a cough, splutter, hesitation or loss of power its more to do with the fact that i'm putting my foot down and the car is reacting, but with the amount of power thats being produced from the engine, it just 'bounces' a little..

its so hard to explain! :xconfused:

oregato

Advanced Member
Re: Worn Engine/Gearbox Mounts? Please Help!!!!!

Right lads,

was back up with the mechanic and we took off the torque damper, still have the same problem.

Basically, if you're in third gear at 3,000 rpm going around 50 kmph and then you put your foot down, the engine 'wobbles' a bit.. the revs stagger a little and then it pulls hard, the car jerks a bit forward and back for the first few seconds and then pulls all the way to vtec with no problems.. can someone try this.. go in third gear at 3,000 rpm, at around 50 kmph, take your foot off the accelerator and then put your foot down.. does it 'wobble' a bit or does it just pull?

Same thing happens in 4th gear, 3,000 rpm going around 60 kph, if your at this speed and you're not pressing any pedals, then just put your foot down, it happens again.

You could describe it as a bit like the kangaroo juice feeling where its a bit jumpy...

Any input would be great - PLEASE!

VT-Doo

RushDoo

Do you have/had any errors codes?
Reset the ECU.
What fuel do you use?
Is the air filter clean?

oregato

Advanced Member

VT-Doo said:
Do you have/had any errors codes?
Reset the ECU.
What fuel do you use?
Is the air filter clean?
No errors or engine management light at all.

I'll reset the ECU later.

I use normal petrol (we only have 95 RON here, but the car is filled up with either Maxol or Texaco fuel, which IMO, would be better than some of the gunk found in other petrol stations

Air filter is clean yes, there is a gruppe M on it that has only been on it for 4 weeks. (it was second hand, but the filter is clean)

Any ideas, could someone check this:

"if you're in third gear at 3,000 rpm going around 50 kmph and then you put your foot down, the engine 'wobbles' a bit.. the revs stagger a little and then it pulls hard, the car jerks a bit forward and back for the first few seconds and then pulls all the way to vtec with no problems.. can someone try this.. go in third gear at 3,000 rpm, at around 50 kmph, take your foot off the accelerator and then put your foot down.. does it 'wobble' a bit or does it just pull?

Same thing happens in 4th gear, 3,000 rpm going around 60 kph, if your at this speed and you're not pressing any pedals, then just put your foot down, it happens again."

Does it kangaroo, or drive normally?