Juddering under braking...

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
I‘ve just installed PBS pads and ‘J‘hook Mtec discs and I agree with the dusty comment, lol however stopping power is incredible. I‘m really really impressed with them. After the bedding in process they were incredibly warm and full of deposit, not helped by new black coated discs either so wheels off and just took them apart, have them a quick clean and once over.

I‘m intrigued to know where the hate has come from all of a sudden as I purchased the setup from hours of research to fit my uses, and couldn‘t see any negatives. Like I said so far I‘m well impressed with them at the moment. They brake so strong and hard from repetitive 3digit speeds to zero that my face started to hurt. Lol

I know there are lots factors that can effect brake performance so understand if sometimes they become less effective, but is that not the same for everything? A good overhaul of all associated components may be on the table if that‘s the case. At some point surely everything will wear out.

Those that don‘t rate them I would be keen to know on what reasons you‘re finding them not to your liking, I‘m about to go spanking it round the ring and Spa so would appreciate any information and perhaps I can then purchase something else just as a backup. But weak and crap is definitely not the words I would be using to describe their performance at this moment in time.

What disc setups are people running on those that are experiencing issues, plain OEM or a groves types?

Mebz

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
I‘ve just installed PBS pads and ‘J‘hook Mtec discs and I agree with the dusty comment, lol however stopping power is incredible. I‘m really really impressed with them. After the bedding in process they were incredibly warm and full of deposit, not helped by new black coated discs either so wheels off and just took them apart, have them a quick clean and once over.

I‘m intrigued to know where the hate has come from all of a sudden as I purchased the setup from hours of research to fit my uses, and couldn‘t see any negatives. Like I said so far I‘m well impressed with them at the moment. They brake so strong and hard from repetitive 3digit speeds to zero that my face started to hurt. Lol

I know there are lots factors that can effect brake performance so understand if sometimes they become less effective, but is that not the same for everything? A good overhaul of all associated components may be on the table if that‘s the case. At some point surely everything will wear out.

Those that don‘t rate them I would be keen to know on what reasons you‘re finding them not to your liking, I‘m about to go spanking it round the ring and Spa so would appreciate any information and perhaps I can then purchase something else just as a backup. But weak and crap is definitely not the words I would be using to describe their performance at this moment in time.

What disc setups are people running on those that are experiencing issues, plain OEM or a groves types?
I think you'll be fine mate. I think the hate is from one guy who has a love hate relationship with the dc5.... especially the brakes .

I've heard of issues with the early batches but that's all sorted as far as I know.

I would buy another set as a spare. I don't think the wear rate is as good as the pagid rs29 but you are going to have some compromise at that price point.

Reggie91

Advanced Member
I am not saying they are crap. I seem to have having issues with mine.

Hopefully it will get resolved.

Mebz

Advanced Member
Reggie91 said:
I am not saying they are crap. I seem to have having issues with mine.

Hopefully it will get resolved.
My comment wasn't at you...

It was tongue in cheek at crazylegs

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Reggie91 said:
No, I know. My comment was in response to Jimmer haha
And my comment wasn‘t at you entirely either. (the crap bit)
Haha

I know things will wear and start to fail at some point but just curious as are you as to what‘s causing a lack of performance.

What discs you‘re running..I‘m intrigued that‘s all :)

No malice meant

carl hammond

Advanced Member

I would love some feedback on the ‘J‘hook Mtec discs as I want to upgrade my discs after this season and have been looking at those and RPB or whatever that are called, but the ‘J‘hook Mtec discs look very good and I am hoping they will be sufficient with the Project mu pads (obviously as the pads are now slightly used I would need to bed them in to mate together correctly)

Reggie91

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
And my comment wasn‘t at you entirely either. (the crap bit)
Haha

I know things will wear and start to fail at some point but just curious as are you as to what‘s causing a lack of performance.

What discs you‘re running..I‘m intrigued that‘s all :)

No malice meant
Running RPD discs. My tegs only just clocked over 50k miles so I imagine the calipers should be in reasonable condition.

Upgraded lines and fluid was changed not long ago

Reggie91

Advanced Member
So Chris got back to me. His response was:

'The discs don‘t look in the best shape looks like the is a lot of transfer from the disks to the pads and the pads have not bedded into the discs properly
Maybe it was time for new discs when you fitted them pads

Try hammering the f*ck out of them see if you can get the discs back in shape'

But the discs are only 4000miles old so not sure why they wouldn't bed propery and have plenty of life on them. Not sure what hammering will do as they're not warped 🤷‍♂️

SamDC5

Advanced Member
I've ran RPB discs with PBS pads for over a year and I hammer them, done over 6 track days and a track day at the Nurburgring and never had an issue. Are you using cheap discs?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Reggie91

Advanced Member
SamDC5 said:
I've ran RPB discs with PBS pads for over a year and I hammer them, done over 6 track days and a track day at the Nurburgring and never had an issue. Are you using cheap discs?

Nope running the exact same set up. RPB discs and PBS pads.

Think the pads didn't take to the discs for some reason. Think i might sand the discs and pads gently to get rid of any glaze. Then bed them again.

If not- new discs and pads :)

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Reggie91 said:
Nope running the exact same set up. RPB discs and PBS pads.

Think the pads didn't take to the discs for some reason. Think i might sand the discs and pads gently to get rid of any glaze. Then bed them again.

If not- new discs and pads :)
Yeah I would try that, give the pad and disc a sand. Did you follow PBS' bed in procedure?

Reggie91

Advanced Member
SamDC5 said:
Yeah I would try that, give the pad and disc a sand. Did you follow PBS' bed in procedure?

Yep, once I fitted them. I took it for a 20 min drive doing the generic bed in procedure. Then did around 80miles in them.

Then took it easy for a fair few laps on track to bring them up to temperature. They obviously just didn't take

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Reggie91 said:
Yep, once I fitted them. I took it for a 20 min drive doing the generic bed in procedure. Then did around 80miles in them.

Then took it easy for a fair few laps on track to bring them up to temperature. They obviously just didn't take
Hm strange, silly question is the disc located on the hub properly? The tolerance between the disc is incredibly tight so the surface has to be perfect to get the disc seated perfectly. I had a weird vibration after fitting my first set of RPB, once the brakes were hot I'd get awful vibration. Checked over the disc and it wasn't fully seated on the hub.

Reggie91

Advanced Member
SamDC5 said:
Hm strange, silly question is the disc located on the hub properly? The tolerance between the disc is incredibly tight so the surface has to be perfect to get the disc seated perfectly. I had a weird vibration after fitting my first set of RPB, once the brakes were hot I'd get awful vibration. Checked over the disc and it wasn't fully seated on the hub.

Discs are definitely not the issue. Had them for a year and a half now. About 5/6 track days on them and still plenty of life left in them. Never had this issue before I fitted these pads