Just bought facelift OEM springs+struts/shocks - Was I conned/robbed? - Need advice!

badman9

Hi everyone,

I bought my 2004 (pre-facelift) DC5 type-R here in Jamaica a few months ago. It currently has some leaky eBay coilovers on it, and I've been on the hunt to try to get the OEM suspension setup locally for months. I know it is sold online, but the cost of importing it via sea isn't feasible.

Friend of a friend was selling the "original suspension off his 06 facelift dc5r" so I went to check it out.
I bought the setup last night in the dark. The front struts have the type-r part numbers and the type-r stamped into it, but the rear is what really concerns me.

When I got the set in the light today I noticed that the rear shocks had a KYB part number stamped into them, I cleaned off the grease and it came up as 341488. When I search this in their catalog, this comes up as the rear shocks for a 02-04 CR-V. I also called the local KYB dealer here and they confirmed that the part number corresponded to that fitment.
So that is red flag 1.
Not a total dealbreaker, but it makes me wonder now if the rear springs with it are actual type-r springs?, or if they too are from a CR-V. I attached pictures below of the set up, and I would really love your opinion / help on this to determine what exactly I have for rear springs.

Just to clarify, I want to go back to original ride height since the roads here can be rough and I keep rubbing the underside of the car/exhaust/lip with the coilovers.

20220217_162602.jpg

20220217_162633(1).jpg

Thank you so much!
`

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Hi everyone,

I bought my 2004 (pre-facelift) DC5 type-R here in Jamaica a few months ago. It currently has some leaky eBay coilovers on it, and I've been on the hunt to try to get the OEM suspension setup locally for months. I know it is sold online, but the cost of importing it via sea isn't feasible.

Friend of a friend was selling the "original suspension off his 06 facelift dc5r" so I went to check it out.
I bought the setup last night in the dark. The front struts have the type-r part numbers and the type-r stamped into it, but the rear is what really concerns me.

When I got the set in the light today I noticed that the rear shocks had a KYB part number stamped into them, I cleaned off the grease and it came up as 341488. When I search this in their catalog, this comes up as the rear shocks for a 02-04 CR-V. I also called the local KYB dealer here and they confirmed that the part number corresponded to that fitment.
So that is red flag 1.
Not a total dealbreaker, but it makes me wonder now if the rear springs with it are actual type-r springs?, or if they too are from a CR-V. I attached pictures below of the set up, and I would really love your opinion / help on this to determine what exactly I have for rear springs.

Just to clarify, I want to go back to original ride height since the roads here can be rough and I keep rubbing the underside of the car/exhaust/lip with the coilovers.

View attachment 8402

View attachment 8401

Thank you so much!
`
I don't know anything about the " 02-04 CR-V " or it's spring rates etc, but those don't look like Type R oem springs to me, the coiling looks wrong and I am actually quite surprised the rear shocks fit the DC5 tbh....

That said if the dampers fit and you are happy with them but are more concerned about the springs I would personally look for some oem DC5 springs or oem EP3 springs even, or just get your money back off of him and buy another alternative setup (even if it was to be a straight EP3 set of dampers and springs) until you found DC5 ones etc.

Another option is to buy some aftermarket Bilstein Dampers and some springs for them which can be oem replacements (if available to you there) or maybe go for some decent quality coilovers (e.g. Bilstein B14 or B16 which can be setup to ride at oem high with oem stiffness etc.

badman9

I don't know anything about the " 02-04 CR-V " or it's spring rates etc, but those don't look like Type R oem springs to me, the coiling looks wrong and I am actually quite surprised the rear shocks fit the DC5 tbh....

That said if the dampers fit and you are happy with them but are more concerned about the springs I would personally look for some oem DC5 springs or oem EP3 springs even, or just get your money back off of him and buy another alternative setup (even if it was to be a straight EP3 set of dampers and springs) until you found DC5 ones etc.

Another option is to buy some aftermarket Bilstein Dampers and some springs for them which can be oem replacements (if available to you there) or maybe go for some decent quality coilovers (e.g. Bilstein B14 or B16 which can be setup to ride at oem high with oem stiffness etc.
Thank you so much for the reply Carl.
I am surprised the rear shock fit the DC5R myself to be honest. I can't say I'm happy or not, since I haven't put them on the car yet, but once they go on the car the sale would be considerd final, so I would need to make the decision soon to decide if to give them back and get a refund or not.

Unfortunately shopping locally is severely limited, and most imports of car parts carry heavy duties and taxes, so it is always a challenge when trying to shop for options.

I was looking at photos of the original DC5R springs in the rear and I genuinely can't tell if these I bought would be DC5R or not, maybe you may know more than me?

Just grabbed some pics off the net to be able to compare my rear coils to dc5r coils.

My other question would be to do with what dampers can fit into the facelift DC5R coils (assuming mine is actually from a DC5R). I've been reading about using the ep3 shocks/dampers with the appropriate spacers, but wasn't sure if this applied to all DC5R rears or just the pre-facelift.

First pic below is mine, pics below are from the net

Attachments

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Thank you so much for the reply Carl.
I am surprised the rear shock fit the DC5R myself to be honest. I can't say I'm happy or not, since I haven't put them on the car yet, but once they go on the car the sale would be considerd final, so I would need to make the decision soon to decide if to give them back and get a refund or not.

Unfortunately shopping locally is severely limited, and most imports of car parts carry heavy duties and taxes, so it is always a challenge when trying to shop for options.

I was looking at photos of the original DC5R springs in the rear and I genuinely can't tell if these I bought would be DC5R or not, maybe you may know more than me?

Just grabbed some pics off the net to be able to compare my rear coils to dc5r coils.

My other question would be to do with what dampers can fit into the facelift DC5R coils (assuming mine is actually from a DC5R). I've been reading about using the ep3 shocks/dampers with the appropriate spacers, but wasn't sure if this applied to all DC5R rears or just the pre-facelift.

First pic below is mine, pics below are from the net
Hi mate,

The coils are deff not DC5R ones that I can tell. Both FL and PFL springs are the same for the rear, the fronts however on the FL had one spring inverted from memory so you can either run full pfl setup or full fl setup on either car as the fitment the same.

The spacers thing you mention is to run EP3 dampers, to run EP3 suspension you need ep3 track rod ends on the front and a few small spacers on the rear (for the lower bush) as the DC5 is slightly wider there.

Aside from that the fitting is the same and spot on.

Personally I would get the money back as these are not as you were told and once on as you say you cannot change your mind and the spring rates maybe all over the place and you genuinely don’t actually know what dampers or springs they are, I would say the ears are most likely the ceviche complete setup.

badman9

Hi mate,

The coils are deff not DC5R ones that I can tell. Both FL and PFL springs are the same for the rear, the fronts however on the FL had one spring inverted from memory so you can either run full pfl setup or full fl setup on either car as the fitment the same.

The spacers thing you mention is to run EP3 dampers, to run EP3 suspension you need ep3 track rod ends on the front and a few small spacers on the rear (for the lower bush) as the DC5 is slightly wider there.

Aside from that the fitting is the same and spot on.

Personally I would get the money back as these are not as you were told and once on as you say you cannot change your mind and the spring rates maybe all over the place and you genuinely don’t actually know what dampers or springs they are, I would say the ears are most likely the ceviche complete setup.
Thanks again

Been looking at pics of the springs from the years of the CR-V that matches up to the shock (02-04) and they don't appear to have the progressive spring rate like what is pictured here, so the springs are from SOMETHING with progressive spring rates in the rear.

I am really torn, because it took 6 months for me to find OEM springs and/or springs and dampers locally, since these things come up for sale very rarely. I don't think I overpaid for them, but they were sold under the premise that the dampers were good, and further inspection in the daylight is that not only are they not original dampers, but the rear boots are a bit damaged and there is oily residue below the rear damper boot. Ugh

Was so excited to finally get my suspension sorted, and get rid of these truly terrible ebay specials coilovers (with busted rear damper to begin with) etc.

Just wish I knew exactly what i was looking at here

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Thanks again

Been looking at pics of the springs from the years of the CR-V that matches up to the shock (02-04) and they don't appear to have the progressive spring rate like what is pictured here, so the springs are from SOMETHING with progressive spring rates in the rear.

I am really torn, because it took 6 months for me to find OEM springs and/or springs and dampers locally, since these things come up for sale very rarely. I don't think I overpaid for them, but they were sold under the premise that the dampers were good, and further inspection in the daylight is that not only are they not original dampers, but the rear boots are a bit damaged and there is oily residue below the rear damper boot. Ugh

Was so excited to finally get my suspension sorted, and get rid of these truly terrible ebay specials coilovers (with busted rear damper to begin with) etc.

Just wish I knew exactly what i was looking at here
To me it sounds like a no brainier that they are A) not as expected, B) not as you hoped and C) Moee worn what you’d like and so I’d take my time and wait for the right setup in your shoes.

Even if you had to buy another set of heap get you through coilovers or something g and whack the ride height up for clearance or maybe keep an eye out for some Bilstein B14’s which are great coilovers offering better ride quality than oem.

If you keep an eye on eBay you may find some mugen dampers and spring or mugen dampers with spoon springs which are also superb setups

badman9

Thanks again carl.

Given the rarity of these items in Jamaica, assuming I can verify that the rear springs themselves are type-r, I will ask the seller if he is willing to give a partial refund for the CR-V shocks that came with the set. Maybe that can help to fund some KYB AGX (EP3) and some appropriate washers/spacers for it.

I'm still adamant about having the vehicle at stock ride height, and I can't think of any other way to appropriately achieve this. Lower than stock is genuinely difficult with the occasional bad roads around here etc.

Re Mugen, I have seen them on ebay but the prices are extraordinary. As in Mugen dampers+springs used literally cost 1/5 what i paid for the car etc

badman9

Hi everyone,

Just to follow up, I got these installed this weekend.

I replaced the CR-V rear struts with some new KYB AGX units, and reused the OEM type-r front struts.

Needed to change bump stops and strut mounts etc, but overall the car rides and corners SO MUCH BETTER than the rubbish ebay maxpeedingrods coilovers that were on there. I finally have proper alignment, and was finally able to change tyres and corner like this car should have been all along.

PS. Seller didnt deal well with me re the partial refund, He agreed to, then danced me around for two months, then sent less than half what we agreed as a refund, and stopped responding after. Ridiculous

See the pics of my old ride height vs current (OEM)20210907_164722-1.jpg20220514_140319.jpg

badman9

Looks much better now - good work!
Thanks. Been doing work on the car for the past 6 months or so, and things are finally coming together.

You should see the state of the coilovers that came off. Was literally a risk to my life