K tuned shifter

Tricktyper

Advanced Member
Hi all,

Ive had my K tuned shifter fitted for a fair time now. Ive always had it fitted under the OEM console and gear gator, however on occasions after a long drive or basically when the cars been running for a long time my shifter can sometimes begin creaking and become a little more stiff, nothing major but noticeable thats for sure.

Im guessing the grease is becoming to hot, and its no longer lubricating it as well as it should. The shifter basically sits above the exhaust and with the gaitor on its keeping the heat in there. Ive thought about putting some heat proofing on between the shifter and the base of the car but before I go this extreme, just wondering whether anyone has had similar experiences or could recommend a grease or lubricant that would hold up a little better in hot conditions?

Any tips or ideas appreciated.

20Drift

Members
Staff member
I think lithium grease is meant to hold up to heat quite well - might be worth cleaning out the old grease and trying some of that in there?

Tricktyper

Advanced Member
20Drift said:
I think lithium grease is meant to hold up to heat quite well - might be worth cleaning out the old grease and trying some of that in there?
Yeh lithium grease had been mentioned to me by a friend of mine also, think that may be the next thing to try. :xgrin:

ldubl

Advanced Member
When mine became stiff and squeaky, I looked in to it, a chap on here contacted K-Tuned.

Every 3months, I take it out & give the ball a good clean out with degreaser then spray liberally with silicone grease. Night & day difference, no noise, much smoother without resistance and much more satisfying to use :)

Intermittently between, I spray the ball whilst shifting in to each of the gears a few times, spreading it around as much as possible & spray the 3cm rubber piece that covers the rod connecting to the smaller side shift cable mechanism (hope that makes sense!)

https://flickr.com/photos/152432093@N02/sets/72157710834506486

Tricktyper

Advanced Member
ldubl said:
When mine became stiff and squeaky, I looked in to it, a chap on here contacted K-Tuned.

Every 3months, I take it out & give the ball a good clean out with degreaser then spray liberally with silicone grease. Night & day difference, no noise, much smoother without resistance and much more satisfying to use :)

Intermittently between, I spray the ball whilst shifting in to each of the gears a few times, spreading it around as much as possible & spray the 3cm rubber piece that covers the rod connecting to the smaller side shift cable mechanism (hope that makes sense!)

Thanks for info mate, thats tomorrows job sorted then. I have a track day Monday, so perfect timing. Sounds like it will make all the difference!

Thanks pal. :xhappy:

moody_mage

ldubl said:

How much disassembly needs to be done to get the ball out?

ldubl

Advanced Member
I don't remove the ball, just spray and rotate (with old newspaper underneath when doing the degrease)