Kakimoto exhaust baffles

ekg

Advanced Member
I was fixing a leaking exhaust gasket this morning when I found this! Is there a way an exhaust place can fix this.<br /><br />
<br /><br />Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk<br /><br />

ekg

Advanced Member
Could it be repaired by cutting a section off, welding the baffle in place and welding it back together?

If I removed the baffles completely would it be ridiculously loud?

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
if you can find a decent custom exhaust place they should be able to help, an empty can will be earsplitting, try the likes of longlife or near us we have infinity exhausts, in st albans theres EMP performance (i think they were called top gear before)

Phil r type

Advanced Member
is this the b pipe ? if so as long as you have a stock back box you could removed the baffles completely and it would not be that loud at all, i have a un-silenced b pipe with stock cat and back box and its not loud at all :xhappy:

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Mine did that. was a pain, but It wasn't that difficult to repair. :xyes: I only found out about mine by an annoying rattle on idle. Good thing is with the Kaki, the chamber is right at the end of the pipe. Mine had disconnected itself completely inside, so I was able to whip it out completely.

I went for a drive blow out and remove all silencing material, and then flange one end of the baffle tube, insert it back in (now with a flange on the end so it doesnt fall into the chamber,) and had it welded back in from one end in from the opening.

My back box did the same, so Its now mated it to a spoon N1,......sounds blooming marvelous.

Unsilencing the Kakimoto left It still quiet on idle when warm, and driving around normally, but the main difference I heard from taking the silencing out of the Kaki, was when you come off the throttle at high revs, it lets out an almighty roar. It's brilliant. :xgrin:

ekg

Advanced Member
Jimmer: Yes its the b-pipe.

So you removed all the metal wire stuff and insert the baffle back in but with a flange so it stayed central? Sorry if that's repeating what you said I just want to be sure.

Was the kakimoto back box still ok at this point? and was it not too loud?

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Yes. Its like a wire wool and stuff with like a fibreglass esk material. Got rid of that with a with a drive and heavy right foot, then inserted it back in yes:).

By flange, I mean rolling one end of the baffle tube, so it made it wider? Make sense. Did that so it would insert back in but not go all the way in. Then just welded it from there, its in there more solid than it ever was. Lol so ive got no issues with it only being secured by one end atall. Then mated with the kakimoto back box, it was quiet when driving sensible, but then giving it abit of stick, (more than 70% throttle) and heavy acceleration,it was very deep and throaty. Sounded like a skyilne almost. Best way to describe it. Haha I didnt have the Regu 06&R, I had the full mega N1. Still similar but alittle louder than the regu in standard form.

My kaki backbox started doing the same. But I cant get acsess to that to fix it and its titanium, so its sat in my garage atm untill I try and fix it/ titanium weld. Hence why I bought a Spoon. :)

ekg

Advanced Member
Got it. How did manage you weld it without cutting it open? I reckon I could put up with the extra noise...<br /><br />Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk<br /><br />

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
It was clamped with a set of mole grips, tacked on one side, mole grips off, then weld all the way round. Literally on the very exit of the B pipe. The bit you have taken a picture of, thats where. In about 20mm from the end.

I work in a college, so i had acsess to a ramp. The guy did it in about 30mins, from start to finish. Hardest part was trying to remove the baffle tube and the bolts holding the exhaust together tbh. But as mine had rotten at both ends it wasnt too bad. Get yourself a set of long nose pliers and see if you can jimmy it about to remove it. :)

ekg

Advanced Member
Thanks for your help. I'll see what I can do...<br /><br />Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk<br /><br />

ekg

Advanced Member
I managed to fix it temporarily but its rattling again now. Out of interest are most dc5 b-pipes the same fitment? If I bought a replacement would it mate up ok?

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Not all are the same bolt together fitment no, but anything can be modified to fit. ;) it may be slightly longer/shorter and as said, the end that mates to the backbox will be different