Kmh>mph convertors. Where is yours fitted ?

dotty

Advanced Member
I've recently developed a problem with my speedo jittering about and I have pinpointed it to my convertor. I have a Buddyclub bonnet and it's great for a bit of engine cooling but it exposes the back area of the engine where (I think) my convertor is currently fitted.

I am looking to buy a new one, and fit behind the dash (clocks). I think this will eliminate the unit going faulty again.

Anyone done this ?

Mark_teg

Staff member
Pretty sure mine is on top of the gearbox, all taped up. Sometimes it'll have a bit of a hissy fit, then it'll be fine for months!

I agree though, behind the clocks could be the better location.

dotty

Advanced Member
Mine has only had a fit twice in third gear VTEC. It's a sign it needs some attention.

Princey4

Advanced Member
Haha him and electrics! Last time I was there I pulled a phone kit out of an Audi for him!

G Man

Advanced Member
Mine was behind the dash. Easy enough to fit and there's a little slot where it fits in nicely so as it can't move around.

G Man

Advanced Member

Does the speed conversion and also removes the limit. I don't have the wiring diagram to hand but I'm sure one of the importers on here does.

The wiring plugs into the bottom (below the phone numbers). With the wiring plugged in the top of the converter slides into an almost perfect sized slot in the dash behind the clocks. The clocks are removed easily.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Changing topic slightly, how easy is it to remove the clocks?? I think my converter is behind there, as something is rattling in behind the clocks a gooden. haha need to take them apart to have a look and see what I can do to stop it.

Rick_1138

Advanced Member
My speedo has been doing the dance of a drugged up raver recently and assume its the convertor.

I haven't had a look to see where it is yet but I suspect gearbox sensor area.

I have seen a few online to replace it but they are the type you have to wire in but your solution G-Man looks more professional with a plug in affair.

I can return the wiring on the speed sensor to normal but bit hesitant to muck about putting a new spliced wire affair in.

Was it simple enough to remove clocks and unplug OE wires and plug in your box above?

Do you need to take half the car apart to get at clocks?

Cheers

Granty1056

Advanced Member
Hi.

Getting the clocks out is fairly easy. If you take the plastic panel off underneath where your knees fit. Then get on your back and look up towards the bottom of the clocks. You should see two black cross headed screws. Remove them, lower the steering to its lowest point. Fingers behind the clocks and gently ease out towards the steering wheel.

Last time I had mine out was for a water temp gauge problem. If I remember right there's two white snap in plugs at the rear.

Can't help regarding the sensor. Mines on top of the gearbox.

Regards. Granty.

Rick_1138

Advanced Member
Cheers, had a look in the RSX manual and can see what you mean, contacted Torque GT on here Re supply. Hopefully not a HUGE ballache.

ste01

Advanced Member
Rick_1138 said:
Cheers, had a look in the RSX manual and can see what you mean, contacted Torque GT on here Re supply. Hopefully not a HUGE ballache.
It's easy getting the clocks out, while you are at it you might as well add the extender wire from the converter to the ECU so you can raise the speed limiter from 180km/h to 180mph 8)