Kumho Ecsta XS KU36

ijlh

Advanced Member
Anyone tried these? seem comparable to the AD08R's in grip levels, but considerably cheaper...

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
I'd be interested to know how stiff the sidewalls are, as that's one of the AD08R's party pieces.

spooke

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
Depends on the driver I'd say, Linus has done 7 track days on his set IIRC.
I'm not doubting they'd last more than one track day :D, but definitely depends on how you're driving, same goes for brakes etc.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Agreed, just from my experience I think they're one of the more harder wearing tyres on track, plus they don't seem to go off as much as something like the R888.

vinnie

Advanced Member
I had these tyres on my S15 before, were great and in the wet fantastic. Good value for money

Road noise not bad but i may buy these again for my teg

Phil r type

Advanced Member
I'm on my 2nd set , love them ! used them on track and at santa pod .they seemed to do every bit as well as the double the price ones :)

ijlh

Advanced Member
Just wondering because they look like bloody good tyres, and come in the correct OEM size. That, and they're very reasonably priced. What was the wet grip like Phil?

Phil r type

Advanced Member
id say the wet grip is good not fantastic . but in the dry greater than my limit and out way my talent lol. had Potenza 050's before , very good but I think the 36's are better . in my opinion :)

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
So the double the price tyre you tried is a 10+ year old Bridgestone, which let's be honest is a pretty crap tyre by modern standards? Have you tried something decent and new such as the AD08R for example to compare?

Phil r type

Advanced Member
no chris I have not. but at the time I got the bridgestones they was new ! never said they was over 10 years old ;)

Phil r type

Advanced Member
070 sorry ,not fab with tyre names . if your a hard core track day driver you would more than likely get more out your car with ad08r then a ku 36 or rsr but if your just going to improve your driving and getting to know your know car like me there fab . at track days you here lots about tyres but the guys who are fast would be fast what ever boots they use lol

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Okay cool, the RE070 is a decent tyre although not tried it.

The RE050A is getting on now, I think even over than 10 years old in terms of design. Things do move on.

Phil r type

Advanced Member
Yeah think alot of these times you see in motor mags with new hot hatches has alot to do with that . would be intresting to see what a 15 year old dc5 time would be with modern day tyres on at the ring :)

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Yeah think alot of these times you see in motor mags with new hot hatches has alot to do with that . would be intresting to see what a 15 year old dc5 time would be with modern day tyres on at the ring :)
Oh yes mate, huge differences. The FK2 for example used the CS6, which only last about 6 months. I'd love to see the DC5 go round with something like that or AD08R to see the comparison.