Laptop dead HELP

dazza

Advanced Member
Our laptop has decided to not to work.
Yesterday it went into hibernation but when i tried restarting it it won't.
All we get up is a page saying-
Sorry for inconvenience windows did not start succesfully blah blah.
Gives us options to start in Safe mode
Safe mode with networking
safe mode with prompt command

Last known good configuration

Start windows normally

The last bit on the page counts down to windows starts.

But all it does is try to start but reverts back to this page no matter what we try.

I hope that explanation explains the page well enough for someone to recognize what we're getting.

Any suggestions?

Suped

Advanced Member
Don't sound too great. Have you messed around with the BIOS settings in anyway?

Only resort is to boot with WinXP disc and run repair. :(

dazza

Advanced Member
Suped said:
Don't sound too great. Have you messed around with the BIOS settings in anyway?

Only resort is to boot with WinXP disc and run repair. :(
No haven't touched anything in the BIOS.

I wouldn't mind because we we're thinking of getting a new one soon anyway, the thing that's anoying me theres stuff i want off of it.
Luckily i copied all our photos to an external hard drive last week.

Suped

Advanced Member
If you really must, you can take the harddrive out of the laptop and plug straight into a IDE 3.5 to IDE 2.5 cable into a pc and run the hard drive as a disk drive. :lol:

dazza

Advanced Member
Suped said:
If you really must, you can take the harddrive out of the laptop and plug straight into a IDE 3.5 to IDE 2.5 cable into a pc and run the hard drive as a disk drive. :lol:
Blimey mate your confusing me now :? :lol:
To make matters worse we can't find the original Windows disc #-o :oops:

tron2k3

Advanced Member
normally if it won't go into safe mode hard drive or hardware is screwed :?

Suped

Advanced Member
Sounds like the hard drive's copy of WinXP is corrupted. Time to spend on a new HDD for the laptop. :D

dazza

Advanced Member
I'm a bit dumb when it comes to these things, so if we get a new HDD I take it we lose all our documents etc.
The things 4 years old now, would we be better off just gettind a new up to date laptop?

tron2k3

Advanced Member
If you can get a copy of win xp you should be able to recover it if its windows startup files that are corrupted, if its the hard drives thats damaged then you will need a new hard drive.

You should be able to recover the files but you will need to remove it from the laptop and plug it into a working computer. The easiest solution would be to get a usb external enclosure for it and hook it up to a working computer and grab the files you need. If you google your laptop model number and "remove hard drive" you should find a guide how to remove it from your old laptop, then just plug it into one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Drive-Enclosure ... 365&sr=8-2 and hook it up to a computer via usb and the drive should appear in my computer.

As for gettting a new laptop or hard drive if you were thinking of getting a new laptop anyway then go out and buy one then try to recover your old files.

dazza

Advanced Member
Thanks tron for the help, I was expecting lots for that thing you gave me a link to but i can handle £8.
I have got a copy of Windows Office but will this still work even though it's not the one that came with the Laptop?

dazza

Advanced Member
Just hade a look on the bottom of the Laptop and there is 2 pieces that look like are removable.
One has a simble showing 3 stacked discs am i right in assuming this is the harddrive?
Does this fit inside that Icy box?