laptop specs

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
Hi guys,
I am considering replacing my laptop, its getting a little old and i need to be able to edit photos while away from home (some single files are 40+mb)

I need
4 gb ram (I realise only 3 can be used)
fast graphics card with good built in memory
dvd drive
reasonable hdd 160 gb+
screen 13-15" 13-14 preffered
vista (maybe) :?
decent screen
proven reliability/stability
budget £1000
so far there is a sony that fits the bill but has a 15.4 screen

any ideas??

carfiend

Advanced Member
If you want good graphics you would need to go for a Macbook Pro which is more than £1000 unless you can find a referebed one from the apple store. Some times you can grab a bargain.

Problem is that laptops with smaller screens do not have decent graphics since so you will struggle there.

Macbooks use the standard intel onboard graphics which is ok for old stuff but nothing new. You can run windows on it as well if you wanted to look like a plank. I have had a macbook since Jan 2007 so its an older model now but it has not crashed or died or done anything odd in those 15 months.

If not a macbook then Toshiba make fairly decent laptops as do Leveno who bought IBMs PC business.

Dell, HP, Acer basically the stuff you see for sale in tesco and the bargain bucket crap will just fall apart if used as a probler laptop and moved about the place.

I would try to steer clear of vista if you can as it is a resource hog and even on a top end laptop will feel sluggish and most of the features would need to be turned off on Aero as the graphics card will not be very beefy.

Suped

Advanced Member
Have a sony laptop for a few years now and still going strong. Price was right and could do the graphicy stuff and play games without any issues. Not once has it crashed or halted. Then again, its running XP and not Sh1sta. hehee

Decent sony laptops can be had at good prices but what you're after is a nice alienware laptop! lol :lol:

carfiend

Advanced Member
Suped said:
but what you're after is a nice alienware laptop! lol :lol:
Put the drugs down and step away.

Sure if you want a badly manufactured, poorly tested, over priced, over heating piece of green plastic then yarse go alienware.

Owned by Dell now anywhere so all the usual dell warnings apply.

Suped

Advanced Member
Only ever overheated if used more often than a desktop. For an occasional use while mobile, I can't see it to be any problems.

I agree with the Dell comment though.

If budget was abit more, I'd go for a rock laptop. :lol:

carfiend

Advanced Member
Depends on how old it is. Prior to dell buying alienware the stuff was ok, not amazing but passable. Then Dell bought it and lo down goes the quality.

mikegsi

Staff member
got myself a nice sony one for £800 from comet (ex display), top spec, only 2gb ram but upgradeable, has a blue ray burner in it that im waiting to use!

screen on it supports 1080p (has hdmi port) and quality is top, battery life is good too

carfiend

Advanced Member
Not bad not bad. Only problem with a blu ray burner is can you get blanks yet? Not seen any and I expect them to cost moon + stars

mikegsi

Staff member
carfiend said:
Not bad not bad. Only problem with a blu ray burner is can you get blanks yet? Not seen any and I expect them to cost moon + stars
fleabay has them from america only, pricing seems fair for what it is, but still too much for me to pay while i play around with getting it right!

andytyperr

Advanced Member
mikegsi said:
got myself a nice sony one for £800 from comet (ex display), top spec, only 2gb ram but upgradeable, has a blue ray burner in it that im waiting to use!

screen on it supports 1080p (has hdmi port) and quality is top, battery life is good too
think i have the same one, model no vgn-fz11z had it for almost a year now been great.

mikegsi

Staff member
andytyperr said:
mikegsi said:

think i have the same one, model no vgn-fz11z had it for almost a year now been great.
mines the vgn-fz21s :wink:

still going great!! not tried burning blueray yet but it copes more than adequately with hd video editing

K-RON

For that money I'd go with the new XPS 13" that dell do. M1330 looks quite good.

I've got a M1210 which is great. 2.2 dual processor. 2gb ram. 512 dedicated graphics and 100gb HDD

I'm selling my 17" PowerBook G4 if youre interested?