Leaking rear damper

Alexander0628

Advanced Member
Hey people

At the weekend I cleaned up my rear arches, struts ect, re-undersealed them and I noticed my passenger side damper was leaking.

Iv had a nose around the forum and couldn't really find anything on leaking dampers so just want some help and opinions really, I have a facelift dc5.

Iv had a look at the technical drawing of the rear strut in the Rsx workshop manual, just was wondering if it would be better to order up some new oem ones, or keep my eye out for a second hand pair, front disks and pads was on my list of things to do next so changing to coilovers is abit out of my price range at the moment.

Its a change both sides job right? Also is it something I'm gonna have to get done asap or can it wait a couple of weeks?

Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers

Alex

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Only thing I know is that to buy oem shocks new it's very expensive. In fact to buy both rear shocks would probably cover the cost of a set of new coilovers! Your cheapest option will be to get a second hand set. I think two cars on here are being broken at the moment so worth asking.
Long term though with most second hand sets being past their best you've got the option of forking out a lot of money on new oem units, coilovers or some have been mentioning bilstein dampers, B8's from memory but they aren't specifically for the dc5 but rather for the ep3. Not sure if it's a direct swap for the rears either as with the fronts I know you have to switch to ep3 tie rod ends.

Someone else may be able to give more info on the bilstein shocks

Mark_teg

Staff member
If it were mine, I'd go for the Bilsteins. I'd like them anyway, but prefer them if they were adjustable.

Rears require a couple of washers apparently Dave.

Alexander0628

Advanced Member
Cheers lads, iv had a look into the bilsteins, looks like a sensible upgrade rather than buying New oem ones. Need to figure out which ep3 ones fit the dc5 but there's loads of topics on here so i will have a dig around.

Cheers

Alex.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
B12 kit looks pretty good too as the springs are matched in. Be interesting to hear from someone who is running them as I'm not quite sure between the Eibach pro street coilovers and the B12 kit. Currently slanting towards the Eibach as most of the reviews seem to say they are nice and soft which is fine for me with it being a daily.

Alexander0628

Advanced Member
Cheers dave, yeah I like the look of the bilstein b12 kit, I was only after a set of rear struts now I'm looking at all 4 lol. Is there any reason why you couldn't do the bilstein B8 sprint with eibach springs as long as they measured up right?

There are a few older posts of people taking about them but can find a post about someone that has them fitted.

pudski

Advanced Member
The Bilstein B8 and the eibach springs is what i was thinking of doing next. They should should fit, dont see why they wouldn't.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Yeh they will fit fine, better than with oem in fact as the b8 are designed to run with a shorter spring. It's just my ocd kicking in, someone like bilstein offering an approved spring rate to match up to them! Lol