Looks to be a leak behind engine, can anybody tell me what it can possibly be ?

david_ram1

I recently just bought a 2004 base automatic rsx with 159,000 miles and it had good maintenance records. There seemed to be no leaks but I looked more in depth and I noticed behind it looked to be leaking mind you I have checked under the car and have seen nothing drip no burning smell of any fluids at all. I’m just in dire need of help I’m no mechanic by no means but would like to know what it is/where it could be coming from. Also, if it’s even leaking I mean it’s hard to tell from a picture I know but if the fluid looks old or fresh I check the oil level I mean it’s right where it’s supposed to be. Please help !! This is my daily and would hate to dump more money later than now!! Thank you !9AA980D8-50B9-4FD0-B6EB-C3E41F0490D8.pngB12BEFB1-330D-4B37-A108-37F42F4D2F1C.png

Attachments

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Sometimes the rear of the rocker cover is not properly seated and some don’t use the proper Honda sealant to secure it meaning a very small seepage of oil can come out occasionally, if a right hand drive car when looking at the engine look at the back of the engine where the rocker connects to the top of the block at the ally part for some oil

david_ram1

Sometimes the rear of the rocker cover is not properly seated and some don’t use the proper Honda sealant to secure it meaning a very small seepage of oil can come out occasionally, if a right hand drive car when looking at the engine look at the back of the engine where the rocker connects to the top of the block at the ally part for some oil
So you’re saying the valve cover possibly?

carl hammond

Advanced Member
So you’re saying the valve cover possibly?
yeah more than likely, you can check by looking as per the post above, if any oils caught on the metal (there’s a little section it can sit in), dry it and keep an eye on it

Very very common issue

2Cent

I agree it's very likely from the cover, it's common and more a nuisance than a problem.

This is easy to DIY, you just need a new gasket, good high temp sealant, a 10mm socket and ratchet, a scraper (preferably softer than the aluminum) and some acetone and cloth to help clean the old sealant in case it was previously lathered all over the place. Be careful not to lose the cover bolts and washers, if they fall in the engine bay you will end up cursing every living thing!
temp.jpgtemp2.jpg

Good luck

JordanSuth

Advanced Member
I have this exact same issue. I've got a new gasket on order and I have some Hondbond left over from a previous job. I have the exact same oil collecting as you. 99% sure it's the rocker cover gasket/sealant.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk