Losing Coolant - Top Hose?

20Drift

Members
Staff member
Started smelling the familiar sweet smell of coolant in the last few days and losing about 500ml every couple of days.

Looks like it's leaking somewhere around the top rad hose or battery tray side of the radiator. Just wondering if there is a common fault to save taking it apart to investigate and then take apart again to fix?

You can see the ali corroding a bit so guessing it's a hose issue. Also bonus points to anyone who can work out what the thing clamped around the hose is as I have no idea!

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Granty1056

Advanced Member
Hi.

That is a strange one. Wild guess here but could it be a magnet designed to catch any loose metal particles.

Regards.

20Drift

Members
Staff member
Ah yes possible. I've got something similar on a fuel line which came with the car which must be a bit of a fad!

Elliot438

There's likely a crack in the radiator. These plastic radiators don't last long and most owners have already been forced into upgrading because of this. I would recommend upgrading this anyway but if you chose not to then you need to investigate the top hose. Unless these hoses split they don't usually leak as once they have been fitted a while they seal on pretty good. Again, my money is on the radiator.

20Drift

Members
Staff member
Elliot438 said:
There's likely a crack in the radiator. These plastic radiators don't last long and most owners have already been forced into upgrading because of this. I would recommend upgrading this anyway but if you chose not to then you need to investigate the top hose. Unless these hoses split they don't usually leak as once they have been fitted a while they seal on pretty good. Again, my money is on the radiator.
Cheers, I've been thrashing the car lately so wouldn't surprise me if that's the case. Do you know if the Mishimoto or Tegiwa ones are drop in replacements without needing to replace the fans?

dave7368

Advanced Member
mishimoto direct replacement yes, more than likely the joint between the end cap and core of the radiator leaking..

wocka

Advanced Member
Both drop in rads I believe mate and you use your oem fans, koyo is also a popular one

I have a oem radiator I would let go cheap if it helps you out, no leaks. Only removed as I fitted a aluminium one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20Drift

Members
Staff member
wocka said:
Both drop in rads I believe mate and you use your oem fans, koyo is also a popular one

I have a oem radiator I would let go cheap if it helps you out, no leaks. Only removed as I fitted a aluminium one

Cheers for the offer but went for the Mishi in the end, hopefully fit it during the week!

wocka

Advanced Member
20Drift said:
Cheers for the offer but went for the Mishi in the end, hopefully fit it during the week!

Brilliant, hopefully that cures your problem! I used Honda type 2 coolant when I did mine, I think it‘s 6L you need

20Drift

Members
Staff member
wocka said:
Brilliant, hopefully that cures your problem! I used Honda type 2 coolant when I did mine, I think it‘s 6L you need

Playing it safe and getting replacement hoses as well! Forgot about coolant, is type 2 the blue stuff?

wocka

Advanced Member
20Drift said:
Playing it safe and getting replacement hoses as well! Forgot about coolant, is type 2 the blue stuff?

Yeah it‘s blue mate. Yeah good shout, I would prob of done the same just to be sure

Elliot438

Good choice. I upgraded to the Mishimoto rad too, I also went for the fans and shroud too sound cool when they come on lol. I also got the matching upper and lower hose. About 6L of Honda Type 2 and you are sorted

20Drift

Members
Staff member
Got round to doing this today - topped up and was at the max level at around 5.5L. Went for a little drive and ended up in a little race with a V5 Beetle, and when I got home had steam coming from the rad area and the coolant had dropped to min again. I've just topped it up again to max as I spilled some, so might just be water boiling off.

20Drift

Members
Staff member
Oh also that thing bolted to the hose was a magnet. When I took the hose off there wasn't anything in there so guess it was for show, but it now lives in the bin :)

20Drift

Members
Staff member
Final update - coolant appears to be leaking from the Mishimoto cap. I've drained the system and refilled/bled on an incline twice and had the same issue. Decided to rotate the cap round 180 degrees and refit, and now it's no longer leaking.

I've ordered a Tegiwa cap instead of getting a replacement as there seems to be a general issue with the caps reading online.