Loss of speedo and EML

DanDavies

Hi,

Driving home and the speedo dropped to zero, then about 50m after the EML came on,
was on a bypass so crawled to a services about 1/4 mile down the road.

Got a mate to come pick me up and take me home for my laptop to plug into the kpro,
by the time I returned all was ok again, speedo working and no EML so drove it home steadily,

Got someone to drive it on the drive this week as I've been away and they said the speedo was lagging by about 2 secs and no EML on.

Going to take a look at it this evening or tomorrow sometime, any ideas what to start with please?

Someone has told me possibly VSS as its just the speedo gone not the revs,

Was thinking of just plugging in kmanager and going for a drive hoping the eml comes back on to get a code back?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
This. Most are just wire twisted in place so have a tendency to come loose with vibration.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

DanDavies

Thanks for the help lads!

Plugged it in this afternoon and came up P0500 VSS Malfunction, so thought to try converter first

There was 4 wires associated with the convertor box, 2 that had been soldered on to same line just by cutting the original wiring, and 2 that just been soldered into the existing wiring like a junction.

Took the two wires that were physically breaking original line with the convertor and just re joined them using a terminal block for now to bypass the speed convertor. (the other 2 I left connected up, not sure of their purpose)

No errors codes come up now, but obviously the speedo and odometer is back in KM,

Just a case of buying a new speed convertor now I assume? any recommendations?

Cheers

berg

I have the same issue on mine but I cannot use vtec

I was told as vtec also isn‘t working then it‘s the speed sensor as the converter would only cause the speedo to not work, the car should drive normally

I changed the speedo sensor today and the light came straight back on

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
Vtec will not engage if the car thinks it's doing 0mph.....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk