Low throttle surging problem

NZITR

Advanced Member
I have a very mild surging at low/no throttle and wondered if it was a quirk of the dc5r or perhaps a 98 octane related issue. Seems to mostly happen when the car is fully warmed up.

Any assistance or experiences would be appreciated.

Regards,

David.

NZITR

Advanced Member
I've done some more driving and it really seems to be the combination of a tight engine and strong engine braking when I am driving in traffic which requires minimal throttle.

I have plans for Motul oil in the car so perhaps that will help kurb the excessive engine braking.

DC51VTC

Advanced Member
I have noticed a mild tendency towards this heavy engine-braking (usually when cold though) since adding my GruppeM - have you made any mods yet?

NZITR

Advanced Member
No mods apart from kg/mm springs at this point. Trying to make a decision on the GruppeM intake at the moment :?

DC51VTC

Advanced Member
Can't really help on this one mate. Mine just seems to be a touch vigorous when in 'choke-mode' (ie, before fully warm) making smooth driving a bit more of an effort - it sounds like yours is the opposite (ie, when fully warm). Any other ideas anyone?

Re. the GruppeM - Do it! You'll love it :twisted:

T666YPR

I find driving over speed bumps or in stop start traffic,with your foot on the throttle ,the car wants to go at the slightest touch.It's not a bad thing,the car is just eager to pick up :)

NZITR

Advanced Member
Yeah when I'm driving at 50km/h I'm pressing the throttle what feels like 1mm to maintain speed so it's extremely easy to either come off the gas and have the car engine brake or get it start to take off. Not really sure I have any problem other than getting used to just how sensitive the throttle is.

jonster

Advanced Member
Hi NZITR,

If found I got this when the throttle pedal was a bit sticky and needs needs lubricating. I thought it was the throttle cable to start with but it wasn't. Our cars are pretty torquey and with the gearing you are going to get this problem anyway. Getting thrown about by this can make you press on the gas even more.

I'm trying to plan a trip to NZ in March. I'll look out for your car.

Cheers,

Jon

NZITR

Advanced Member
I'll check it but I think the main issue is how sensitve the throttle is.. still not a bad problem to have and I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Are you coming to Auckland? Just look out for the bunny hopping car :lol:

rossi

When i'm driving the car when it is cold and take my foot off the throttle in 2nd or 3rd there appears to be a jerky retardation of the engine after about a second as the revs drop( very troubling)
Is this similar to what you all are experiencing? :cry:

T666YPR

rossi
I get that all the time,especially when in stop/start/crawling traffic.All my Honda's have done this,though mainly in 1st and 2nd.

rossi

this is my 4th Honda(96vti,97vtis,00integra and now dc5) I have never had it before or failed to notice it.