Massive Gearbox Oil leak - Box cracked? [Big Pics]

Tuneboy

Advanced Member
Hi guys,

i visited the Nordschleife last week and had blast!
The car was running really strong and i had tons of fun :)

BUT unfortunatelly i discovered a massive leak which turns out to be gearbox fluid. The car is still running fine, the shifts are a tiny bit more harsh for 5 weeks. Otherwise no problems..

I searched for the cause and am not entirely sure if my box is cracked.
Took some pictures, do you think its a crack? Or could it be from the casting?

Overall look from above:

Wet subframe:

Gearbox:

Gearbox:

Gearbox w/ wet frame:

Crack:

Crack narrow:

What do you guys think?

If its not the crack, i ASSUE its a driveshaft seal.. Atleast i hope that.

Fez

Advanced Member
That just looks like casting, id either say driveshaft seal, or crank seal/main shaft seal.
Theres a little cover under the gearbox/sump thats held on by 2 10mm bolts, pop that off and see if theres any oil behind it

Tuneboy

Advanced Member
I replaced the driveshaft seal but i dont think its that. The old one was looking solid and good and the part of the gearbox where it sits was rather dry (compared to other parts of the enginebay), see pictures.

Fez said:
That just looks like casting, id either say driveshaft seal, or crank seal/main shaft seal.
Theres a little cover under the gearbox/sump thats held on by 2 10mm bolts, pop that off and see if theres any oil behind it
I opend that and it was completely dry.

I will now dry it up and let it run in gear on the lift to see where its coming out.

Tuneboy

Advanced Member
Hi,

i uninstalled the gearbox and its the ballbearing of that driveaxle.

I then found out that the Crankshaft seal is broken too :(

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Hi,

I took the car to the Garage yesterday to have the oil leak looked at, they weren't able to do the work yesterday but they've said they believe it's a driveshaft seal. They've said it's nothing major and the leak is minimal but it will leak whilst driving.

Is this a major job to sort? Also I'm confused, is that a gearbox oil leak or oil from the driveshaft?

I wasn't aware that driveshafts leaked oil?

I'm confused as the Garage haven't explained clearly what's happening.

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
Basically, where the driveshaft sits in the box, there's a rubber seal. Quite common to nik them when removing shafts.

Here's one I did earlier.

I'm not sure it can be done without removing the box though.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Fu*k sake, sounds like a bit of a nightmare job, argghhhhhhhhhhh! I'm going to have to contact Stevie see what he says. If this is expensive to sort I'm going to be well piss*ed off as I really wanted to upgrade the suspension next month. :(

Cheers guys for the info and explanations, appreciate it.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I've messaged Grinspeed this morning, Stevie has explained that if it's the driveshaft seal then the box doesn't need to come out. If it's the crank seal then it's a full gearbox removal. Fingers crossed it's the former.