Mats/Carpets in the Washing Machine

gaza4

Advanced Member
while searching on here for tips on cleaning the carpets and mats i came across a few comments saying you could put the mats in the washing machine. what about the rest of the carpet though??? provided the washing machine was large enough of course!!!

ATC

I've had mats from other cars in a washing machine before - no issues. The integra mats were too big for mine though, so I ended up pressure washing them instead.

As for the carpet I'm not sure how well it'd work - even if you could get it to fold up well, I feel it'd simply be too big for a washing machine, and I'd worry about what it'd do to the pre-form of the fabric with all that tumbling - it's quite a violent experience... that's not to say it wouldn't work, just I probably wouldn't want to risk it myself.

I assume you're asking as you don't have access to a wet-vac? These look like the best tool for the job.
Equally, if the carpet's out, I'm sure pressure washing wouldn't do too much harm - maybe test a small hidden section to see how it behaves once soaked through to be sure it's not going to do something funky

20Drift

Members
Staff member
I cleaned my mats up in the bath.

Got a bucket of hot water with this stuff in: https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/chemical-guys-fabric-clean and diluted 8:1. Used a stiff nylon bristle brush, dunked in the bucket then scrubbed in the direction of the fibers then across them until it was all lathered up.
I then put them in the bath and used the shower head to give them a rinse, then agitated with the brush once more before completely rinsing and leaving them out to dry (took a whole day to dry in the sun!).

I think the easiest way to do the interior carpet is to pull it out and do the same method as above but use a pressure washer or hosepipe, or hire a rug doctor wet-vac and do it in situ. I think people generally get better results with a wet-vac on the big carpet, and it's less of an arse to do!

gaza4

Advanced Member
ATC said:
I've had mats from other cars in a washing machine before - no issues. The integra mats were too big for mine though, so I ended up pressure washing them instead.

As for the carpet I'm not sure how well it'd work - even if you could get it to fold up well, I feel it'd simply be too big for a washing machine, and I'd worry about what it'd do to the pre-form of the fabric with all that tumbling - it's quite a violent experience... that's not to say it wouldn't work, just I probably wouldn't want to risk it myself.

I assume you're asking as you don't have access to a wet-vac? These look like the best tool for the job.
Equally, if the carpet's out, I'm sure pressure washing wouldn't do too much harm - maybe test a small hidden section to see how it behaves once soaked through to be sure it's not going to do something funky
turns out my mats wont even fit in my washing machine. for the carpet i was thinking of these self service machine machine kiosk type things that are around the place. €8 for an 18kg size drum, probly big enough for the carpet. but yeah the spin might be a bit rough on it.

took them to the garage today and power washed them. got a lot of dirty water off them but theres still obvious staining/dark patches

20Drift said:
I cleaned my mats up in the bath.

Got a bucket of hot water with this stuff in: https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/chemical-guys-fabric-clean and diluted 8:1. Used a stiff nylon bristle brush, dunked in the bucket then scrubbed in the direction of the fibers then across them until it was all lathered up.
I then put them in the bath and used the shower head to give them a rinse, then agitated with the brush once more before completely rinsing and leaving them out to dry (took a whole day to dry in the sun!).

I think the easiest way to do the interior carpet is to pull it out and do the same method as above but use a pressure washer or hosepipe, or hire a rug doctor wet-vac and do it in situ. I think people generally get better results with a wet-vac on the big carpet, and it's less of an arse to do!
the local tesco has a rug doctor stand although i dont think they have hoses on them, they are just for rolling over flat surfaces, but i will take a look

ATC

gaza4 said:
took them to the garage today and power washed them. got a lot of dirty water off them but theres still obvious staining/dark patches
Did you just straight up pressure wash them or use any sort of detergent to help loosen the embedded grime? I wet the mats down first, then threw some Woolite on (I'm sure other forum members will also swear by this) before working it in gently in small circles with an old washing up s rubbing brush (any stiff bristled brush should do, just gotta be fairly gentle). This kinda created a white foam which quickly went brown as the dirt was lifted. Then pressure washed for several minutes in methodical overlapping passes going from one end to the other until the water ran clear.

gaza4 said:
the local tesco has a rug doctor stand although i dont think they have hoses on them, they are just for rolling over flat surfaces, but i will take a look
Never looked into it myself, but worth some investigation - I know others on here have used them and seem to get some sort of suction hose adapter. I'm interested to know more about what Tesco offer if you report back

20Drift

Members
Staff member
gaza4 said:
I rented one from B&Q which was the same sort of thing and that had a hose adapter on it

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I just did the mats in the garden in the peak of summer (pressure washed them) and cleaned them and rinsed then dried in the air

Carpet, I just ripped all the interior out and got in there and cleaned it in the car using a wet vac etc (at the same time as the mats) so it was hot and left it to dry out. I have a spare carpet here and I would not put that through a machine as all the parts on the bottom would get wrecked I think. I am going to bin this carpet off so if you're local I could cut a bit off and you could run that through as a test to see if the bits on the bottom (padding) survive if you want?

Page 2 on my build thread shows before and after results of mine, I would recommend doing it the same, in the car still in summer so boot and doors can be left open for it to air and dry.

gaza4

Advanced Member
well, tried to get hold of a carpet doctor today but their website was not cooperating and no one on the phone. gonna try a local hire place tomorrow for a wet vac, covid closures making things difficult!!!

so since i couldnt do any of that i picked up some woolite and made a start on the mats. spraying the diluted woolite onto the damp mats wasnt giving any results so i poured it on instead and got some foam action goin. since i dont have a power washer or even a hose the next best thing was the shower!!! i couldnt believe how much dirt came off despite power hosing them yesterday!!! so they have been sitting in the sun the last few hours drying, but will need to go back out for another while tomorrow.

if wet vac rental is reasonable i'll grab one and have a go at the carpet and maybe the seats tomorrow...or whenever rental is available

WyredHardware

gaza4 said:
well, tried to get hold of a carpet doctor ...
I bought a mini steam cleaner a while back at it works great on the Mats and rug, I‘ve used it on my seats as well with no issues.