Meguiars G220 V2 Mini Review - Machine Detailing Perfection???

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Oh yes, it's true, I finally took the plunge and bought the new Meguiars G220 V2 Professional Dual Action Polisher!

Although I have a horrible cold, I decided to take advantage of the situation and do this Review :)

What you get/What I bought
Prices vary from place to place, but what you get with the G220 V2 standard is a nice Canvas bag, Backing Plate including all the bolts and tools you need to get assembling (which is very easy to do!, literally 2 bolts for the handle)
I bought mine with the extra Cutting, Polishing and Finishing Soft Buff 2.0, 7" pads (pictured below) which were around £10 each.

What you need
Now you are going to need some cleaning products, if you are a Meguiars Whore (like myself) you are going to have some Ultimate Compound and Ultimate/NXT 2.0 Liquid Wax, if not, you need to go out and get some! Obviously you can use any other branded product with this polisher and even the professional range of cleaners/waxes (if you have otherwise)

Also use some Quick Detailer to 'prime' the pads, I explain that later... (I used speed detailer) oh and some clean microfibers to wipe the products off.

How it all works
Basically, what you are doing with a machine polisher is making things easier, that and removing defects which otherwise would be near impossible by hand. The G220 V2 is dual action, so it rotates and orbits. What this means is you have less chance of scratching your paint surface. It also has Cruise Control, a feature the DC5 could have done with :lol:

It also has variable speeds which you will need depending on the level of polishing you are doing.

The Polishing/Cutting/Finishing pads have a velcro backing, so it's really easy to apply and remove on the G220 V2's velcro backing plate, just line them up and press down. Simples!

You use the 'Dead Weight' of the machine to do the polishing, in other words, you don't need to add pressure, unless you are working vertically obviously, in which case you need just enough to keep it straight against the panel.

Handling/First Impressions
The G220 V2 isn't what I call 'light', it weighs about 6 Pounds, so it's a hefty piece of kit IMO, but very easy to hold and control with the supplied handle and the overall shape of the machine feels comfortable plus that 'dead weight' actually helps it work, thus saving you effort.

I thought it was quite loud! but then I don't like overly loud noises (I have a Kakimoto 06&R don't you know!) :lol: I would say the G220 V2 was about the volume of a small electric lawnmower on speed 4 against my test bonnet I used, speed 6 actually scared me :lol: (VTEC YO!)

Really though, you will only need between speeds 1-3 for Waxing and speeds 3-5 for Polishing (which it actually says on the back of the machine I just noticed!!!)

The speed adjuster is found on the base of the Polisher.

Testing/Results on my OEM Bonnet
So, down to the actual testing! I decided to have a go with the G220 V2 on my OEM bonnet which has seen better days due to being covered with a cloth in the garage leaving some light swirls (don't get me wrong though, it's still pretty curse clean anyway!)

Firstly, pictures before I got to work on it, note the swirls and scratches noticeable by the cameras flash and the pretty bad defects around where the washer jet sits. Also some water spots here and there are visible.

I worked on one side only (left side from the cameras perspective) and used some masking tape down the centre to seperate the bonnet into two halves so I could compare the end results.

Step 1 - Cutting Pad - Red
Depending on how bad your paintwork is, you will need to decide if you need to use a cutting pad or not, my bonnet had a small selection of scratches which warranted a cutting pad, that and I really wanted to test everything for the best result possible! :D

I used the cutting pad on speed 4 with some ultimate compound. You need to 'prime' the pad first with some quick/speed detailer then you apply the product in an X pattern and switch the G220 V2 on and off against the panel to avoid product splatter.

Polishing Pad - Yellow, pictured below with a photo of it being 'primed' with some quick detailer before applying the Ultimate Compound:

You then work the product into the panel, making sure the power cable doesn't touch the surface (sling it over your shoulder)
Polishing can be done in vertical, horizontal and diagonal lines which is explained in the Meguiars Detailing Guide here: http://www.itr-dc5.com/forum/index.php?/topic/22861-meguiars-official-detailing-guide/

Once that was done, I used a clean microfiber to wipe the product off.

Already it's looking good...

Step 2 - Polishing Pad - Yellow
Using exactly the same method above, I followed on with the polishing pad on the same speed setting (4) and again, wiped away the product with a clean side of the microfiber.

Step 3 - Finishing Pad - Black
Finally I got round to the finishing pad, again using the exact same method as the others but instead I switched the speed down to 2 which is the G220 V2's 'Waxing' speed range and I used some Ultimate Liquid Wax.

After product removal:

Results
Pictures speak louder than words, as you can see, pretty much every single defect has been completely removed :blink:

The paint is darker in appearance (that would be the wax doing its thing) and reflections are slightly improved (VERY slight because my bonnet was pretty clean already as said before!)

Only the worst scratches still remain and obviously Machine Polishing wont do anything for stone chips.

Before (left) After (right)

Comparison between left and right side with masking tape removed, left side is noticeably cleaner and almost completely free of scratches/swirls!

Before (left) After (right)

Conclusion
The Meguiars G220 V2 is a very handy piece of kit, basically, what has taken me years by hand, this thing can do in a few minutes and with better results!

It takes the effort out of applying waxes and will remove a slew of minor scratches with ease along with any water spots. The pads are also machine washable! Happy Days! :lol:

My only gripe is the noise, it's not as quiet as I would have hoped, but that doesn't affect how it performs! This is one serious piece of detailing equipment and one I welcome to my detailing collection.

I don't think I will do my whole car though personally, it just doesn't warrant it, those that have seen my paintwork will probably agree! But I will certainly use it to effortlessly correct any fresh scratches/defects if they arise, my carbon bonnet could actually do with a machine polishing however as the lacquer is prone to scratches!. I can see myself FULLY detailing other cars more than my own with this, friends/family especially.

I really would like to have a go on my headlights with it :lol:

If you want a show car perfect shine, I think this will give you a VIP express ticket! Depending on the condition of your paint that is, don't expect to be removing orange peel as I don't think it does.

The tip to good paintwork is a good job in the first place and maintenance is the key! Keeping things tip top for me just got a whole lot easier though with the G220 V2! If a lot louder :lol:

rascal69

Advanced Member
Great write up. D/a polishers are great.
To remove orange peel, wet sanding is the method to do so.
You really should work for meguires with the amount of pr'in you fo for them on here lol.

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
Awesome job Porthos, the results are fantastic and the write up much appreciated. (sometimes i wish i had a blue 5 and not white as a perfectly detailed blue is much more noticable and stands out an awful lot)

How about you crack the camera that out? and shoot some footage of the process on the other half of the bonnet, then edit it together to make a very good little video.

Definitely think you'd make some good money detailing peoples cars and get great satisfaction from it, i did think about getting a polisher myself but once i have done my car it wouldn't get much use :(

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
yep, set the camera on a tripod and take a picture every 30 seconds or so , add them all together to make a cool movie.

chris cc

Authorised Advertiser
Oh yes, it's true, I finally took the plunge and bought the new Meguiars G220 V2 Professional Dual Action Polisher!
It had to happen! :xlol:
Seriously though. Money well spent as the job becomes so much easier, with better results.
Though in my experience it kind of raises your expectations of what finish you want.... which can lead to more time spent.
I've got boxes of different products and assorted different pads, all doing a very similar job no doubt!

Happy polishing Porthos.

btw. I would say I can't believe you took the bonnet off, but then again .. :rolleyes:

Edit.. :-" forgot you had the carbon bonnet on!

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Ha ha yeah perhaps I will have to do some sort of film, camera is more than capable, the stop motion style would look pretty awesome 8)

Perhaps I will have a go on my Carbon Bonnet next! That does need some minor attention actually.

Woppywop

Advanced Member
Don't suppose you could come to Coventry (someone has to live here) and do mine could you?

I'll pay... PG And Rich Tea....?

Mark_teg

Staff member
I'll raise the pay to chocolate digestives :wink:

Good right up Porthos, almost conviced me to purchase one myself, almost..

Woppywop

Advanced Member
Ha ha

Porthos, as Mark said, great write up, be interested to see how you get on doing the whole car. May see if me mate wants to go 50/50 on one.... :)

Jaffa Cakes???

Edit... Should of read all your post, your not doing the whole car are you.... :-}

Hoti

Advanced Member
Daymmn! Thats impressive. Iv got the original da polisher from megs and it really does save some time and its quite user friendly! Is there much difference in the two?

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Ha ha biscuits. Nom nom nom.

I think the only difference is it's easier to change the 'brush' inside and I think it's the cruise control with the improved torque thats changed.

jay82

Advanced Member
agree with the wire been a pain. think they should bring a battery operated one out would be so much easier to use

CHALKIE

Proud to be C/W.
I ordered one today.

I stuggle with an electric toothbrush. :mellow: :unsure: :blink:

I'll get some pics up @the weekend. "How to remove paint & go to bare metal". :lol: :lol: :oops: