Meguiars VS Werkstat part 2 (on Arctic Blue)

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Part 1 is here: http://www.itr-dc5.c...his-is-big-lol/

FOREWORD
I must first say, that I believe Werkstat to be a brilliant product, if you don't mind the extra work involved, it will give you GREAT results, as I have shown in the first test I did here:
http://www.itr-dc5.c...his-is-big-lol/

I do NOT work for Meguiars, and I am not trying to convert you to their products. This test is to merely compare and perhaps change your perspective on detailing.

This test should be seen as a dedicated reflection test and Werkstat is hailed as a great Sealant with superb reflecting properties. So please bear this in mind.

INTRODUCTION
This has to be done, I will be testing yet again... Meguiars VS Werkstat but this time on an Arctic Blue bonnet (my old one to be exact!) and I am testing REFLECTIVITY. This is going to be a little different and I guarantee you will be surprised, although some of you won't be I'm sure, lol.

I will be testing the same products here again that were used in part one.

IMPORTANT!: In most cases, BOTH sides are photographed in the same picture for more accurate comparisons. INDIVIDUAL photos of sides will be otherwise labelled 'MEGUIARS SIDE or WERKSTAT SIDE'

otherwise.....

MEGUIARS in on the LEFT
WERKSTAT is on the RIGHT

1. PREPARATION:

OK, first up, I have decided to do an environmental test shot, to determine lighting levels on both sides when I fixed the camera into place. The bonnet was again divided up into two halves, but this time, both halves will be shown in the same photo unless otherwise indicated. This leads to an even more ACCURATE test as the image is guaranteed to have the same aperture, same settings etc.

As you can see in the test shot, attention needs to be applied to the two sides, the left side, which will be known as the MEGUIARS side is a slightly lighter blue due to the lighting conditions.
The Right side here, will be known as the WERKSTAT side. No work has been done yet, the bonnet is in the condition it was last left in, just wiped over with a Microfiber.

Again, all products will be worked with separate pads and cloths as to not cross contaminate.

The camera was again locked into place via a tripod unless otherwise stated.

Environment test shot:

2. CLEANING THE PAINT
Ok, first up, lets get the paint cleaned on the Meguiars side.

MEGUIARS SIDE (LEFT SIDE) - Ultimate Compound having been machined on:

WERKSTAT SIDE (RIGHT SIDE) having been machined on:

Both products machined on fine, but I had a bit of trouble removing the Werkstat Acrylic Prime with a Microfiber, as mentioned in part 1, it can be harder to remove than Ultimate Compound because it contains those synthetic polymers and has already partly sealed the paint. On a darker car, this is much more visable! This is pictured below, I had no such trouble with the Ultimate Compound.

NOTE: 2 Applications were again made with the Werkstatt Prime to match the cleaning ability of the Ultimate Compound

After the second application of Werkstat Prime to the right side had been applied and removed, both sides were then wiped down with separate Microfibers again, ready for the wax/sealant application.

Both sides cleaned and prepped!

3. WAX APPLICATION
Straight forward this one, the left side gets the Meguiars Treatment (WAX), the right side gets the Werkstat (SEALANT)

NOTE: The Werkstat Acrylic Jett is MUCH easier to see on a darker car! Buffing it off was still a chore, but at least I could see where I had been.

Both sides waxed (left) and sealed (right)

4. REFLECTION TEST 1

Straight forward this, I have cropped the image closer to reveal details, 2 identical bags of fire logs were places opposite either side of the bonnet. Look at the writing on the bags and details.

Remember, Meguiars on the left, Werkstat on the right.

REFLECTION TEST 1 - RESULTS
As you can probably see, again, there is no difference, as was the case on a CW DC5 bonnet.

5. REFLECTION TEST 2
Another reflection test here, but with a bucket of paint and a Meguiars NXT banner.
Again, the image was cropped to reveal finer details picket up on camera.

REFLECTION TEST 2 RESULTS
A pattern is already beginning to emerge here, there is no difference in reflections clarity here.

6. REFLECTION TEST 3 - UNDER CAMERA FLASH
Here I have now split the images up into their respective halves, and again, locked the height of the camera in both cases.

MEGUIARS REFLECTION SHOT UNDER FLASH:

WERKSTAT REFLECTION SHOT UNDER FLASH

REFLECTION TEST 3 RESULTS:
These types of shots are perfect for assessing paint defects which are a lot easier to see on a blue bonnet! As you can see, the Ultimate Compound side has done a better job of cleaning the paint of scratches and swirls, but in terms of reflections, again there is nothing in it, the Werkstat side may seem a bit brighter, but this is down to the slight discrepancy in flash (look at the lightness of the concrete floor in the Werkstat shot)

Again, as mentioned in Part 1, the Werkstat Prime is not a dedicated paint cleaner, and even in their own description they say:

"Prime: Strong can address light marring and swirling more effectively than Prime, yet the polishing agents--though stronger--are still gentle enough for regular use." via - www.werkstat.com

So Werkstat Acrylic Prime WILL take more work that Ultimate Compound to get better results because the Compound is far more aggressive.

7. LOW ANGLE INCIDENT LIGHT TEST 1
I have been advised that Werkstat works best at more extreme angles from the paint, this is called the Incident Light Angle This is something the Acrylic Prime claims under the description on the Werkstat Website.

"The ultra smooth surface ensures that low-angle incident light is brilliantly reflected for mirror-like images while the high refractive index of our acrylic polymers allows high-angle light to refract into the dense polymer coating for improved depth of color." about Werkstat Acrylic Prime via - www.werkstat.com

NOTE: The Acrylic Prime I used is apparently the same as the standard Prime, but better. It's apparently the product that does all the reflecting, good job I did 2 coats then!

OK, so anyway, low angle reflections are the KEY with Werkstat apparently, so now to test this claim (NOTE: low incidence light angles are why your paintwork looks more mirror like at extreme angles from the panel). The followings tests are done both INDOORS and OUTDOORS, in both cloudy weather and DIRECT sunshine.

MEGUIARS SIDE INDOOR LOW INCIDENCE - INDOORS

WERKSTAT SIDE LOW INCIDENCE - INDOORS

This is pretty hard to see any difference at all at this kind of size! so lets take a closer look!

MEGUIARS LOW INCIDENCE DC5 REAR CROP

WERKSTAT LOW INCIDENCE DC5 REAR CROP

NOTE: due to the slight difference in angles, pictures had to be rotated in photoshop to match angles.

LOW ANGLE INCIDENT LIGHT TEST 1 RESULTS
Again, there are no difference here other than slight focus discrepancies between the two images. Both images are sharp, crisp and as good as the paint can get really.

8. LOW ANGLE INCIDENT LIGHT TEST 2
Again, another test, but this time, outside in direct light on grass.

This test was taken the following day, so the wax and sealant had cured for 24 hours.
I decided to layer on a second coat of Acrylic Jett to 'top up' what was already there on the Werkstat Side.
The Meguiars side was left untouched.

NOTE: the bonnet is no longer divided up into two. But' it's fairly obvious which side is which here! Meguiars on the left, Werkstat on the right.

Again, you can't see any difference here, so lets zoom in again and see what we find!
Both image crops were taken from the same distance away from the middle line of the bonnet from the image above.

MEGUIARS SIDE CLOSE UP

WERKSTAT SIDE CLOSE UP

LOW ANGLE INCIDENT LIGHT TEST 2 RESULTS
You know where this is going by now, both sides are identical, even outdoors and even at an extreme low level on incidence light which really brings out the reflections!

So far, these results are the same as they were on the CW DC5 bonnet. Which doesn't surprise me at all. What it does show though, is the consistency and accuracy of my tests here.

9. LOW ANGLE INCIDENT LIGHT TEST 3
So what if the sun was out directly on the panel? Well, generally, the sun tends to limit reflections due to its extreme extreme brightness overpowering that of the reflections we are trying to show.

Here we have the panel in direct sunshine, but please note, the Meguiars side is now on the RIGHT, and the Werkstat side is now on the LEFT of the picture.

WERKSTAT SIDE ON THE LEFT - MEGUIARS SIDE ON THE RIGHT:

As you can see, both sides are fairly 'blown out' with the suns intensity. Making reflections harder to pick out, but obviously they are still there. Ever noticed when you take pictures of your car, that when you park the car out of the sun, the reflections are really intense? This is why. The paintwork is reflecting reflected light, otherwise in direct light, reflections are overpowered, due to the reflections being less intense than the brightness than the sun.

This is however a fantastic opportunity to gauge the depth of colour as the pigment in the paint is really being shown by the sun and the metallic flake is reflecting the light beautifully (known as the infamous FLAKE POP, lol).

Werkstat's website describes the following in regards to the Acrylic Jett:

"In our experience, all paint colors can benefit from the superb wet gloss of Acrylic Jett, however it is particularly well suited to light colored and metallic paints, providing the "pop" that can be difficult to achieve with other products." about Werkstat Acrylic Jett via - www.werkstat.com

Arctic blue is well suited to this test, it has a LOT of flake in it, and under the right light, is actually an incredibly light blue. (Hence 'Arctic' in the name of the colour)

Again, there are no differences in the sides here, however, BOTH sides are displaying an incredible depth and gloss in the paint, revealing the flake at it's best here! This is something you just wont see INDOORS. Pay close attention to the styling lines in the picture above, you can even see the flake.

Lets take a closer look at this....

MEGUIARS SIDE FLAKE

WERKSTAT SIDE FLAKE

LOW ANGLE INCIDENT LIGHT TEST 3 RESULTS
Again, I think it's safe to say here, that both sides are the same, showing identical results, even that same amount of 'pop'

10. LOW ANGLE INCIDENT LIGHT TEST 4
OK, so now we have seen what direct light can do for your paintwork, lets finish with a look at a low angle incident light shot with the sun obscured by clouds.

Again, Meguiars on the right now, and Werkstat on the left.

LOW ANGLE INCIDENT LIGHT TEST 4 RESULTS
Ah thats better right!? The kind of reflection shots we are used to seeing!
Again, with the sun being obscured by the clouds, details of reflection are much easier to pick out now, but again, both sides are the same in terms of clarity and reflective properties.

CONCLUSION
Well this has been a tough test this, taken over 2 days, ultimately, I'm not seeing an improvement of reflections with a sealant over a wax... in direct or non direct light. To my own eyes, both sides were consistently the SAME. I hope I have gone out my way enough to show this.

But wait, I promised a twist right and something that makes this different from my other tests?..... well, the truth is I haven't been entirely honest here.... and this is going to blow you away.... The Meguiars side having wax was a complete lie, there is no wax on it at all! I actually stopped with the Ultimate Compound stage, lol.

Why did I do that? Well I wanted to prove a point here, a wax/sealant is only ever as good as your Clear Coat and underlying paint, after all that's all you are working on. Once you have a stunning clear coat free of defects and oxidisation (or had a respray!), you want to be protecting it and sealing it in with a wax or a sealant of your choice.

Many companies out there will try and blind you with science by explaining what it does, how it works and why it's better than the competition etc, all to get your interest and to get you to buy their product, it's called clever marketing.

Meguiars for example however, don't do this, they merely give you a simple idea of what it does and slap it in some really fancy bottles! Meguiars have 100+ years of Research and Development that has gone into their products. They also say that they let their products to the talking. Many new Meguiars waxes such as the Ultimate Rage, are already dedicated synthetic sealants that contain advanced polymers etc, but yet they still call it a 'wax', why? because they don't want to confuse their customes by labelling them as completely different products. Meguiars products will continue to evolve this way but without the extortionate price tag. As said before, Carnauba wax for example is NOT an expensive product.

Even Werkstat say:

"Werkstat Prime is the closest an acrylic has ever come to the depth normally associated with high quality carnauba waxes yet offers the reflectance and clarity of shine characteristic of synthetics. And, in terms of longevity and protection, there is simply no comparison: Prime trumps any conventional wax with its elastic sealing layer that resists acid, UV, weather, and detergent degradation." about Werkstat Prime via - www.werkstat.com

So lets break that down, take away all that fancy science, they are actually being incredibly honest...

1) They are pointing out that Werkstat Prime is the 'CLOSEST' an acrylic has come to the depth associated with high quality carnauba waxes, not that is surpasses it.

2) ONLY in terms of longevity and protection does an acrylic beat any conventional wax.

Both of these points I touched in part one, and both of these points have been raised and successfully proved here in my tests. Sealants are engineered to outperform waxes, especially in longevity!

Incredibly enlightening eh?

This concludes part 2 of my testing :) Hope you enjoyed it and I really hope it's given you a new outlook into the world of detailing.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what a product contains or what they claim it does, the products should do the talking.

Don't let yourself be fooled into thinking that the more you pay, the more you get, it's just not always True, but at the same time I am not telling you what you can and can't do, at the end of the day it's your choice and we are all unique. Both Meguiars and Werkstat gave the same reflection results in these tests. So the one you choose is up to you :)

NEVER compare your car with someone elses, their paint and clear coat will be of a different age and of different quality, otherwise you are just comparing Chalk and Cheese and convincing yourself that one wax is better than the other.

If you really want to see any difference... TRY IT for yourself, on your OWN car :)

Happy Detailing Guys and Girls!

P

coolerking

Advanced Member
Mate you are the biggest fanboy of meguairs ever, jesus man, its so anti werkstat here its unreal,

Why are you not using demon shine and turtle wax in this case? For every single member on detailing world, who says i use this for red, i use this black, are they all wrong? Should they all use meguairs then? Despite when they i used this but now i found this works better? Are they all completely wrong? Have they all forgotten they had a respray or something, i dont buy any of that sorry

Take of those tinted glasses

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Just going by what I see dude, and things I have learned along the way. What you use is up to you ultimately. :)

Like I said at the Start I think the Werkstat is absolutely brilliant, I just find it harder to remove and the prime is harder to work. On Adams DC5 there was no difference between the two visually. Both great waxes.

Do some of your own tests on your own car and compare the two and see what happens rather than second guessing everyone else and following the crowd. I am not biased at all, it's not in my nature. These tests are %100 genuine. I have spent hours making sure.

I used to use turtle wax, mer and I still use some Autoglym. Like I said I wanted to test the best Sealent reccomended to me and a product that's seen as inferior and came to the conclusion there isnt any difference. Not sure how that is fanboyism... Otherwise I would have said Meguiars looks better?

As for other waxes. Like I said in part 1, people will always reccomended what they know. I've covered all this before... And I can't afford every single wax on the planet. I bought the Werkstat because you and others told me it was brilliant and better than the competition. So out of pure interest I bought some thinking it would be!

Getting your car show car clean really isn't rocket science and it's accesible to everyone whatever your budget, not just for those with ££££ of pounds.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
I think someone needs to take a chill pill xthumbup

Nice write up Ian as always. Good to see that you have tried this on a different colour as well as the white. Meguiars is a great product and there are many others out there too. As I have said before: If it ain't broken, don't fix it!

coolerking

Advanced Member
Dont need a chill thanks though, cute to see your backing him up though,

I wouldnt use werkstat on blue, would always use a wax

Should post this up on detailing world and see the response you get, again if this is the case why dont professional detailers choose meguairs? Why does every write up by a professional on a white car always use a sealnt? Why does every write up not include megs products? From the guys who are detailing full time and have been for decades?

Why would someone say "i use to use hd wax but found zaino products give a better finish" for every single time someone has said something similar are they wrong?

I hear guys all the time, ahh protein is protein, ehh no its not protein can be derived from many different sources and have many different reactions, its the same here,

G Man

Advanced Member
I've enjoyed both reviews/tests and I use Werkstat.

Only comment I have Ian is, do you always use electrical tape for masking off panels? :xgrin:

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Sealants in my test are the same as waxes reflection wise. But they are more durable too. But you told me you don't care about longevity either...

A pro detailer will recommend them for that reason. Because they last much much longer while giving the same reflective properties.

But for me as an enthusiast. They take too long to work for the same results I can get with a wax.

I saw this coming in all honesty. But I'm not sure how more honest I can be in these tests. What you see is exactly what I got. Stop second guessing and try it yourself. Because that's exactly what I did :)

I always just do what I want, to my car included. I like modified, custom, JDM, non JDM, I don't care I'm not a biased person. I can't explain that any more clearly lol. These tests are completely unbiased.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Dont need a chill thanks though, cute to see your backing him up though,
Mate i was there! I know what i saw.

Ian (and i) are not saying that Werkstat is a bad product. It just does the same thing as Meguiars!

I have no idea why they don't have Meguiars on detailing world, that's a bit worrying considering what a massive brand they are.

Honestly i think that you do not like Meguiars for whatever reason, i don't know why.

But ultimately, the choice is up to the person buying the product. To suit there wallet. I cannot afford to spend £200+ on a tub of wax! But for those of you who can, great. Spread it around!

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
I've enjoyed both reviews/tests and I use Werkstat.

Only comment I have Ian is, do you always use electrical tape for masking off panels? :xgrin:
Thanks fella! Which is exactly why I'm not being biased here and I'm glad you can appreciate that being a werkstat user.

Yeah, I couldn't find the masking tape so went for the electrical earthing tape, lol

coolerking

Advanced Member
Again if a customer approaches a detailer and says i have a white car what can you do? I dont think they all say im going to use a sealant because they last longer, does not happen

Again dont buy it sorry, good effort in the putting the write up though

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
I'm so sorry dan I accidentally deleted your post!!!! Bloody forum on iPhone!!! Lol sorry can you re post?

I really like the Meguiars Gold class carnauba plus at the moment, brilliant stuff to apply and remove but won't last as long as the ultimate stuff if that's your bag! It's a lot easier to remove as well though and you can see where you been on it.

I really want some swissvax to try! But have a feeling more people would probably be upset! Lol but you never know it might be brilliant! But I can't be risking £200 on a product like that.

Dan34

Advanced Member
I'm so sorry dan I accidentally deleted your post!!!! Bloody forum on iPhone!!! Lol sorry can you re post?

I really like the Meguiars Gold class carnauba plus at the moment, brilliant stuff to apply and remove but won't last as long as the ultimate stuff if that's your bag!

I really want some swissvax to try! But have a feeling more people would probably be upset! Lol but you never know it might be brilliant! But I can't be risking £200 on a product like that.
Hahaha I did wonder where it went! I figured my iPad was having a funny moment lol!

You pretty much answered what I wanted, just wondered what you and other wax preferences were, I've got a few different brands (dodo juice, poorboys etc etc) but its always good to see how other fair! Am liking the ultimate wax at the moment but like you say its better on a lighter car!

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Again if a customer approaches a detailer and says i have a white car what can you do? I dont think they all say im going to use a sealant because they last longer, does not happen

Again dont buy it sorry, good effort in the putting the write up though
Detailers use whatever they like because it's their choice. Many factors in cost etc, sponsorship perhaps, freebies? List goes on.

Still can't believe how ignorant you are being though, these tests are completely fair but hey ho, bigger things to worry about.

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Hahaha I did wonder where it went! I figured my iPad was having a funny moment lol!

You pretty much answered what I wanted, just wondered what you and other wax preferences were, I've got a few different brands (dodo juice, poorboys etc etc) but its always good to see how other fair! Am liking the ultimate wax at the moment but like you say its better on a lighter car!
I really like the Japanese Naviwax. Quite expensive (about £32 with import costs etc) but its great application and durability wise, just stinks so bad! They do it for lighter cars too FYI. Lasts ages because it's a hard wax too and you don't use a lot!, no idea what's in it, its all in japanese lol, but it works! TGM had a hard time removing it before my respray! They said it took 3 detergents to get rid, lol so clearly strong stuff!!!

coolerking

Advanced Member
Ignortant...good one, i especially liked your point about its just clever marketing from other companies

Then you go straight onto a backstory of meguairs and their history....cooooool mate

Dan34

Advanced Member
Coolerking why you getting worked up over a thread about detailing products lol.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Adam, please do some accurate tests/research of your OWN before accusing me of fanboyism.

I'm not going to grace you with any more answers because you wont be happy for whatever reason.

coolerking

Advanced Member
Im not getting worked up mate, i think meguairs has its place, but i believe there a lot of products out there which surpass it in many ways, albeit not all of them, i also believe a lot of products and different combinations will give different results on the same car in the same conditions

Dan34

Advanced Member
Im not getting worked up mate, i think meguairs has its place, but i believe there a lot of products out there which surpass it in many ways, albeit not all of them, i also believe a lot of products and different combinations will give different results on the same car in the same conditions
Yeah I agree and disagree at the same time, at the end of the day it's down to personal preference really, if a product works well then that's good enough for me wether it be swissvax or turtle wax haha.

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
I am definitely going to somehow get me some Swissvax best of show and try it against Werkstat.

If I do, I will let you know!

But I cant seem to get any samples from them, lol.