Meshing the Brake Ducts/Front Bumper

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
What you will need/what I used:

Ripspeed Black Stretch Grid Competition Mesh - Link via Halfords - £24.99
Loctite Glue Gun - Link via Halfords - £9.99
Halfords Cable Ties - Link via Halfords - £2.79

General tools - Hex Sockets/Screw Drivers/Pliers/Wire Cutters (I used Scissors :lol: )
Gloves - optional
Soft Sheet to sit the bumper on - I also used a foam mat to sit the bumper on as pictured below

Step 1:
Remove your front bumper as described on page 20-87 of the RSX Manual here: RSX Workshop Manual
I recommend the help of another person to remove it and put it back on to avoid any potential paint damage.

Step 2:
Cut your mesh to the required size to overlap both the top and bottom of the bumpers radiator vent, then you will want to secure this using 3 small cable ties in the locations pictured (on both sides and one in the middle on the top of the middle post) including using your glue gun to secure the bottom half of the mesh to the plastic of the bumper.

Please Note: The cable ties I used were a VERY tight fit and very fiddly!

Step 3 - Brake Ducts

Unscrew the fixings of the Brake Ducts on the inside of the bumper, there are 7 screws in total. 4 screws hold the duct onto the bumper (outside edge) and 3 hold the face of the duct on (inside edge) Pictured below.

The duct on the outside of the bumper (pictured above) will fall out when you unscrew the 3 screws on the inside edge of the holder, which in turn, will reveal the old mesh which is stapled to the inside. Remove the staples with your pliers and the old mesh (chicken wire!) will fall out.

Using the old mesh as a template, trim your new mesh to the correct size and make sure you cut holes where the Duct face posts insert.

Step 4

Put your Brake Ducts back together the same way you took them off! Providing you did a perfect fit, you wont have needed to re-staple the mesh to the holder.

They should now look like this, happy days! :lol:

Step 5

Put your bumper back on in the reverse order of how you took it off, make sure you have someone to help you and TAKE YOUR TIME!

Please note: The plastic covers underneath the car need to go back exactly how they were before. Mine were on the outside of the bumper, they need to be positioned inside! and the arch linings will also be a bit of a problem and need to be guided back behind the sides of the bumper.

Step 6

Admire! yes, you car now looks completely badass! :lol: Treat yourself to a Cold Drink, or like I did, compliment with a big fat dirty Chinese Takeaway! :lol:

Hope this little guide helps anyone wishing to do the same!

SPECIAL NOTE:

The mesh will look different from different angles, I made sure the mesh looked 'thicker' from eye level. Please be aware of this as you will want all the mesh on your car to match!

Thicker angle will make your radiator more obscured (my option), the thinner angle will make it less obscured.

gaza4

Advanced Member
dragging up an old thread here but was that one sheet of mesh enough for the entire job??? and was there much left over???

WraithPriest

Advanced Member
I did this today too, took about two hours including coffee.

https://imgur.com/a/Qe3sW

Removal of the bumper was easy, I followed the guide for removing it on here.

For the brake duct vents I did do it slightly differently - we just cut the mesh to size and then refitted the rear housing, then put the bumper on the grass facing the sky and maneuvered the new mesh in before refitting the front of the housing to hold it together.

The central section zip ties I placed slightly differently, but with thin black ones they seem unnoticeable.

I agree that honestly the hardest part of all this was making sure the mesh was all the correct way in each piece to match each other piece.

tico_87

Advanced Member
WraithPriest said:
I did this today too, took about two hours including coffee.

https://imgur.com/a/Qe3sW

Removal of the bumper was easy, I followed the guide for removing it on here.

For the brake duct vents I did do it slightly differently - we just cut the mesh to size and then refitted the rear housing, then put the bumper on the grass facing the sky and maneuvered the new mesh in before refitting the front of the housing to hold it together.

The central section zip ties I placed slightly differently, but with thin black ones they seem unnoticeable.

I agree that honestly the hardest part of all this was making sure the mesh was all the correct way in each piece to match each other piece.
Been meaning to do this for so long, where did you buy the black mesh from. (i know halfords probably sell it but we all know they are a tad expensive lol)

ep3kamal

Advanced Member
tico_87 said:
Been meaning to do this for so long, where did you buy the black mesh from. (i know halfords probably sell it but we all know they are a tad expensive lol)
But you is a baller tho .....

I will be doing this looks nice and simple

WraithPriest

Advanced Member
JDM-DC5 said:
That really tidied it up! Nice one
Cheers, tegiwa delivered my new window trim (the current ones are largely silver now) and front Emblem yesterday, got the rear emblem and Type-R badge coming next week, she's gonna look pretty much brand new again :D

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
Quick bump for an old thread. Had to change my rad recently and was supposed to do this but unfortunately I was in a hurry to get it finished.

So much so that I left the the effin bolts out of the aircon rad :xfinger: SOoooo its gotta come off again at the weekend.

The guide is great but i cant seem ti find a supplier for the mesh. Halfruads only seems to have the silver stuff in. Anyone bought any recently?

Ta.

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
Just incase anyone is after doing this I managed to source the metal black version from halfords. Couldn't find it listed online but they had it in store.

Guide was a great help thanks.

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
MissMyDC2 said:
Just incase anyone is after doing this I managed to source the metal black version from halfords. Couldn't find it listed online but they had it in store.

Guide was a great help thanks.
How much is the mesh, does it have a specific name or just metal black mesh?

I need to do this too!

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
Lukeyboi89 said:
How much is the mesh, does it have a specific name or just metal black mesh?

I need to do this too!
Thinkit was called "duct mesh" its pretty hard to miss when you get in the shop as its about a meter long and 40cm wide.

impne

Advanced Member
I got mine from Halfords a few weeks back and got the ripspeed one which I was told was old stock but they now stock a Halfords own brand but only had one type.
Said only one available?
I'm not convinced they really knew though