Miller's Nano-Drive

SamDC5

Advanced Member
It's not to heart so don't get too worked up about it seems people's sense of humour o the forum is a tad dead

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
SamDC5 said:
It's not to heart so don't get too worked up about it seems people's sense of humour the forum is a tad dead

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Agreed. Can't be too formal otherwise it would be mundane round the clock.

k20_irf

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
Sales people.

Do you like throwing money away? Changing oil every six months is bad enough but 2000 miles? That's madness. Oil is so good these days it doesn't need to be changed so often.

Again, this is from an engineer working in the oil industry. Not forum conjecture, not sales talk, pure engineering opinion based on the millions of pounds spent by car manufacturers who test oil and its effects.
About £28 for oil and filter every 2000 is hardly throwing money away. It's my choice to do so and just helps keep things clean inside. Absolutely no harm done.

k20_irf

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
Cool.

Anyway, be right back, just off to set fire to a £20 note.
I'm even worse with my turbo dc2. I change oil on that every 1500 miles using fuchs titan. Don't drive it often probably 3k a year. I'll probably get death threats now lol

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
There's no point. There won't be any more wear when changing it at 6000 miles or 12000 miles unless you're on track the whole time. On turbo engines though I agree you need to change it more often.

Look at service intervals of modern cars, some exceed 20000 miles. It's because it's not the 90's anymore and oil technology has moved on considerably.

k20_irf

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
There's no point. There won't be any more wear when changing it at 6000 miles or 12000 miles unless you're on track the whole time. On turbo engines though I agree you need to change it more often.

Look at service intervals of modern cars, some exceed 20000 miles. It's because it's not the 90's anymore and oil technology has moved on considerably.
Don't get me started on the "modern" 20000 service intervals. The amount of turbo failures I've seen with the newer cars and vans is unbelievable, Leads me to believe the longer intervals causes turbos to wear out faster.

Fez

Advanced Member
Oil is all personal preference i think.
I used to use castrol or mobil, and used a bit of oil between services, but one day i used Fuchs as it was free from work, and it didnt seem to use any oil, so i've stuck with it since. But im sure there someone who has found the opposite. I dont know how one 5w40 oil can be so different to another, and why it would consume more oil etc but just use what you find best i guess.

Mardgee

Advanced Member
Let‘s be honest with ourselves here. Unless you get multiple oils tested doing to the same driving in the same engine you don‘t know.
You can look at the type of oil, the certification it has and match it to what Honda recommend but really as mentioned in the thread the oil industry has moved on ALOT. Unless you‘re putting cooking oil in it‘s going to be fine.