Miller's Nano-Drive

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Been using Miller's Nano-Drive + 5-40 ever since I've had my DC5. I've noticed it does seem to use a bit. 850ml to 1K miles which seems high to me, I've read up of people reporting the K20 seems to use a lot more of the Miller's brand as opposed to something like Shell Helix Ultra which people report the car uses next to no oil.

The Miller's is actually twice the price of Shell Helix Ultra and I've just found myself ordering another 1L top up for the Miller's.

What are people's thoughts/findings?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
Yow engine fubarred m9.

Yeah does use abit. Not loads but does require topping up. I think I'll be trying something else if I'm honest. Just to see what's out there

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Fried the piston rings m9 🤙

I'll be switching to something else next oil change just to compare really.

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
SamDC5 said:
Fried the piston rings m9 🤙

I'll be switching to something else next oil change just to compare really.

Me also just don't know what lol. Had Fuchs Pro-as before which was nice but still used some oil. Can't get over that physchological price barrier to put the cheap as chips Shell Helix in. Dunno what to try.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Nanodrive is just a load of marketing nonsense. Shell/Castrol etc all cheaper and just as good.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
I disagree to an extent it's entirely 'marketing'. The knowledge of it is well beyond me. Technically it's sold as oil for race engines and engines with a high rev limit.

Oil is one of those things where there's little to no proof of the benefits/negatives of what you're using unless you open the motor and get samples tested. We all just want the best for the motor, however I'm tempted to use Shell just once to show how the oil consumption changes. I have no doubt it's probably one of the best for lubrication purposes but it's an expensive habit if the consumption is high. I'm not overly fussed about the price point, I'd rather spend the extra and sleep well at night knowing I've used expensive oil haha. More curious about the consumption.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
The source of that info is a mate who works for Castrol.

He regularly drops his oil and has it analysed (S2000).

He recommends any OEM supplied brand, such as Castrol, Petronas, Shell, Mobil 1 etc.

You don‘t see any of the large car manufacturers using Millers and Fuchs.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
The source of that info is a mate who works for Castrol.

He regularly drops his oil and has it analysed (S2000).

He recommends any OEM supplied brand, such as Castrol, Petronas, Shell, Mobil 1 etc.

You don‘t see any of the large car manufacturers using Millers and Fuchs.
The only reason the large car manufactures don't use them is that they already have deals in place. Like Shell/Ferrari you won't see them two splitting up anytime soon, car manufactures will use what makes them the most money.

Ever since I was into cars everyone has spat their dummy out for Castrol, lots of people I knew sweared against it. A lot of other brands of pushing Miller's though especially Opie Oils.

Cennix1

So far I've only had to use this oil called "TGM 6 Monthly" because I've never needed a top up :D

I should probably grab some just in case..

MrRy

Advanced Member
I use Miller's, ever since the b series days. Both 5w40 for the b18c6 and 10w50 for the turbo b18c4 block on a c6 head and even after 6k and 2 trackdays and the oil reading never changed.

Had the DC5 for 4 years + and used miller's nanodrive since it came out, again it never uses a drop after trackdays and the yearly service (4 to 8k on average).

If the K series is drinking more oil than expected it might be the oil control rings? like I've seen many times on the b series. 850ml every 1k is quite keen.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
MrRy said:
I use Miller's, ever since the b series days. Both 5w40 for the b18c6 and 10w50 for the turbo b18c4 block on a c6 head and even after 6k and 2 trackdays and the oil reading never changed.

Had the DC5 for 4 years + and used miller's nanodrive since it came out, again it never uses a drop after trackdays and the yearly service (4 to 8k on average).

If the K series is drinking more oil than expected it might be the oil control rings? like I've seen many times on the b series. 850ml every 1k is quite keen.
Honda's tolerance is 1L to 1000 miles so I'm not overly bothered, plus the car doesn't smoke nor does it smell like oil is burning. The car is on 75K miles currently, I've just read multiple people having more oil consumption with Miller's. It's in tolerance according to Honda, I was just curious.

Granty1056

Advanced Member
Hi all.

Several car mag engineers have put Nanodrive oil to the test and an increase in BHP and Torque have been seen. Normally aspirated engines show an increase thereabouts of 8 BHP and 14 LB/FT torque.

The top beneficiary was a Focus ST with an increase of 23.8 BHP and 44.9 LB/FT torque, and he didn't have to declare it to his insurers.

The tests didn't as far as I'm aware cover how much one oil burned than the other.

Regards Granty.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Granty1056 said:
Hi all.

Several car mag engineers have put Nanodrive oil to the test and an increase in BHP and Torque have been seen. Normally aspirated engines show an increase thereabouts of 8 BHP and 14 LB/FT torque.

The top beneficiary was a Focus ST with an increase of 23.8 BHP and 44.9 LB/FT torque, and he didn't have to declare it to his insurers.

The tests didn't as far as I'm aware cover how much one oil burned than the other.

Regards Granty.
I remember reading about that, can't argue with dyno results!

I think I'll just stick with the Miller's, it's in tolerance so I don't know why I'm being pedantic.

Mardgee

Advanced Member
After discussing it with Opie then doing own research for me I will always stick with something like Fuchs Pro S in something like the DC5.
They are probably overkill for a standard road engine however I do minimal miles so not really thinking of the cost. Something down as a Group 5 Ester oil like the Fuchs or the Millers can take more heat before the lubrication of the oil breaks down.

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-953-ester-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx

Its funny how everyone asks the same questions about oil myself included when realistically you could probably put Halfords own in and as long as you do regular changes and top up every once and a while see no increased wear. Anyone of the rich guys fancy doing a sample?

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Just one those things I suppose. Always good to know you're using good products though and just for peace of mind.

k20_irf

Advanced Member
Shell helix 5w 40 is perfect for the k series engine. You're better of using it and changing oil every 6 months. I would rather have an internally clean engine than running a more expensive oil only to change it once a year. I used to be think like you aswell but stopped since I realised the benefits of using a cheaper good oil and changing it regularly. I change my oil as a soon as it goes black. One thing I noticed is that my oil used to stay cleaner for much longer with regular oil changes. I like to change oil every 2000 miles. Engine ran smooth and used no oil. Pickup was better also and vtec felt punchier .

I've stopped using fuchs and millers. I would only use them if the car was turbocharged to tolerate the extra heat.

Remember ester grade oil molecules are designed not to break down so quickly compared to normal fully syntetics. So you can change it once a year instead of on a regular basis. I've tried loads of oils shell helix is great at a cheap price. Remember oil is not whiskey

Mardgee

Advanced Member
k20_irf said:
Shell helix 5w 40 is perfect for the k series engine. You're better of using it and changing oil every 6 months. I would rather have an internally clean engine than running a more expensive oil only to change it once a year. I used to be think like you aswell but stopped since I realised the benefits of using a cheaper good oil and changing it regularly. I change my oil as a soon as it goes black. One thing I noticed is that my oil used to stay cleaner for much longer with regular oil changes. I like to change oil every 2000 miles. Engine ran smooth and used no oil. Pickup was better also and vtec felt punchier .

I've stopped using fuchs and millers. I would only use them if the car was turbocharged to tolerate the extra heat.

Remember ester grade oil molecules are designed not to break down so quickly compared to normal fully syntetics. So you can change it once a year instead of on a regular basis. I've tried loads of oils shell helix is great at a cheap price. Remember oil is not whiskey
My whiskys not going in the car. I love her but the whisky is mine!

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
SamDC5 said:
especially Opie Oils.
Sales people.

k20_irf said:

Do you like throwing money away? Changing oil every six months is bad enough but 2000 miles? That's madness. Oil is so good these days it doesn't need to be changed so often.

Again, this is from an engineer working in the oil industry. Not forum conjecture, not sales talk, pure engineering opinion based on the millions of pounds spent by car manufacturers who test oil and its effects.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
It's the same with car manufactures they're only going to recommend the oil in which they've got a deal with lol. So by that statement why aren't we all using Honda OEM oil? We all know that's just rebranded cheap stuff. Shell have written on their bottle 'as recommended by Ferarri' it's purely down to the multi billion pound deal they have together. And if so where's his proof? I highly doubt car manufactures will test brands of oil, just oil grade and use whoever is going to give them the most money.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Won't even get into changing oil every 2000 miles as that's pointless really. Unless you're doing 2000 miles a year which would be fair enough